1700x vs 1800x overclocking?

I just pre-ordered the 1700x! I'm going to use it in my "Road to Ryzen" project build I'm currently doing. That build is going to replace my current i7-4770k, and since IPC between a Haswell core and the Ryzen core seem to be about the same I wonder if certain tasks (such as rendering videos?) will be completed in half the time they are now!

Also, I've been wondering why the 1800x is 100$ more expensive then the 1700x since there is only a 200Mhz difference in clock, which wouldn't matter too much to a manual overclocker anyway? What do you guys think? Is the 1800x more for people who DON'T overclock and rely on what the chip does itself and the 1700x is the one to get for manual overclockers, or what's the deal?

Exciting times!

• Quindor from the Intermittent Technology blog (intermit.tech) and YouTube channel (Intermit.Tech)
  • Organizer of LAN-parties (1100 people) The Party and CampZone (~2000 people)
  • Officially a senior storage expert, un-officially a networking expert, besides all of that enjoys lots of different computer related subjects
  • Aspiring video maker! ;)

Wait until launch date. Most of if not all of your questions will be answered

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

2 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Wait until launch date. Most of if not all of your questions will be answered

Well I know that, they'll probably be answered before that with the independent review videos, still, I'm wondering what we can speculate now as to what will be the big difference between these 2 versions of Ryzen.

• Quindor from the Intermittent Technology blog (intermit.tech) and YouTube channel (Intermit.Tech)
  • Officially a senior storage expert, un-officially a networking expert, besides all of that enjoys lots of different computer related subjects

WaitTM  we don't know how they will actually perform and overclock until third parties get proper benchmarks out. You can speculate all you want but it's nothing to base purchases on. 

9 minutes ago, Quindor said:

Well I know that, they'll probably be answered before that with the independent review videos, still, I'm wondering what we can speculate now as to what will be the big difference between these 2 versions of Ryzen.

Well, sure, let's speculate.

I speculate the 1700X will get 7GHz while the 1800X will get 8GHz, because 7 and 8 respectively.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I speculate the 1700X will get 7GHz while the 1800X will get 8GHz, because 7 and 8 respectively.

Lol, euhm, then in my opinion, you're dreaming. ;)

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

nah, it's only 1.8Ghz and 1.7Ghz because of the 1700 and 1800 are in Mhz.

it's most likely a code, because 1700 / 1800 = 93, so it will be 7% better.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

11 minutes ago, Quindor said:

Lol, euhm, then in my opinion, you're dreaming. ;)

It's just speculation, like you asked for.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020