DX11/DX12

emtproject

What is DX and how does it affect gameplay also does it matter which type of the DX using 11 or 12

And does a game automatically change the DX or do you have to manually choose i

2 minutes ago, emtproject said:

What is DX and how does it affect gameplay also does it matter which type of the DX using 11 or 12

API, or Application Program Interface, is a technology that interacts with the applications to allocate computer resources

DX12 is the latest version of this API

DX11 is about 2 years old

DX11 is the standard, while DX12 was released with Windows 10

If you have a NVIDIA 10xx GPU, use DX12 mode if available

IF you dont, run DX11 for maximum performance, as the past few gen's are more optimized for 11 than 12

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, emtproject said:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, UberGamerKing said:

API, or Application Program Interface, is a technology that interacts with the applications to allocate computer resources

DX12 is the latest version of this API

DX11 is about 2 years old

DX11 is the standard, while DX12 was released with Windows 10

IF you dont, run DX11 for maximum performance, as the past few gen's are more optimized for 11 than 12

dx12 is still in infancy state and nearly everything that supports both standards runs better in DX11 still. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Direct X is a set of low level APIs that provides a medium for applications to access and manage a computer's hardware. 

Right now, DX12 is still very much in early development. In some cases DX12 can result in lower performance than DX11 due to its early development. If a game has support for multiple DX versions, it will typically default to the latest that your hardware supports, with the exception of DX12, which is normally something you'd have to enable by default as not many GPUs fully support DX12 right now. 

3 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Actually nvidia cards still run better on dx11, and dx12 in general is a minimal performance gain most of the time

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

12 minutes ago, emtproject said:

Games are written for specific APIs. Sometimes (especially at a transitional period between versions, like now) games will support multiple APIs and you'll be able to pick between them in the game's menu, but otherwise it's going to use whatever it was coded to use.

How much it matters to gameplay depends on the game's developers. DirectX 12 has some technical advantages over 11, but it's just a set of tools. If the developer doesn't choose to put in the time or to implement the right set of features, their implementation of DX12 may be indistinguishable or worse than DX11 mode in the same game. There are many games out now with DX12 modes that are not drastically superior to DX11.

19 minutes ago, emtproject said:

DX, short for DirectX, is a set of application programming interfaces (API) that Microsoft made to aid the development of making games. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, DirectX is a family of API, which handles things like input methods, audio mixing, and most famously, 2D and 3D rendering. When talking about "DX11" or "DX12", people are usually referring to the Direct3D component of DirectX. Which would be Direct3D 11 and Direct3D 12 respectively in this case. But this is more for informational purposes. I'm not going to be a pedantic butthole about it. :P

Anyway, a game using DX11 or DX12 does not matter. It's up to the developer to decide which one they wanted to use based on how they wanted to develop their 3D rendering environment. DX11 is the most popular version right now and is more straight forward of an API to use. DX12 is relatively young, but is not as straight forward to use. However, in the right hands, DX12 can show some impressive results over DX11. Ultimately though, since DX11 or DX12 affects the 3D rendering, the only thing it affects game play wise is performance. But so far most games that support DX12, performance usually is better vs. DX11 from an AMD card than NVIDIA. Not because NVIDIA can't support DX12 (contrary to what many AMD fanboys will tell you), but because the way AMD cards were designed, DX11 makes it harder for developers to make full use out of them.

As for games that support both versions, you need to manually select which one you want to use. Games may ask of this before launching. If they let you change this while the game is running, it requires you to restart the game.

DX11 > DX12

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR