how does 8-bit/10-bit colour work on PC ?

DnFx91

I've been wondering how this stuff all works recently. Basically i have an ASUS PB287Q which is a 10-bit panel (albeit an 8-bit with dithering but i digress) and i downloaded a 10-bit greyscale ramp test video, the instructions said that on a 10-bit panel you will see two separate halves of the image with smooth 10-bit on top and 8-bit beneath, but on an 8-bit monitor the entire thing is obviously 8-bit across the whole image. Gladly i could see the 10-bit section at the top confirming that ASUS didn't lie :) what i am really wondering though, is why almost nothing else that i view on my PC appears to be in 10-bit format, even really high quality rips of 10-bit amazon shows and stuff (that i legally bought)  don't seem to actually be in 10-bit mode as i can see the "colour banding" on the sky etc. and youtube videos obviously just look awful with smooth gradients being turned into blotchy square staircase kind of thing.

As for video games, i dont think i've actually seen any of my games run in 10-bit colour mode, is this something that the programmer has to write into the game ? or some setting that i am missing somewhere ?

Just confused as to why i can see 10-bit on my monitor with a test video, but not with anything else 

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

for decoding HDR video content you need capable hardware and appropriate decoder

it took me quite a while to find a HEVC main10 decoder for HDR content

Games dont do 10-bit color

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

You can play movies encoded in 10 bit  (actual 10 bit etc, for ex with color spaces bt2020 etc)  using Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC) and the MadVR renderer (download separately, here : http://madvr.com/ )

Configure the renderer manually in MPC-HC and if you can configure the monitor from Windows to 10bit per color then it should play straight forward otherwise, it may play 10bit per color only in full screen mode (the renderer acts like a full screen video game and goes around the Windows desktop stuff outputting 10bit per color straight to the video card and monitor)

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

for decoding HDR video content you need capable hardware and appropriate decoder

it took me quite a while to find a HEVC main10 decoder for HDR content

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

Hitman and Shadow Warrior 2 do

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

You can play movies encoded in 10 bit  (actual 10 bit etc, for ex with color spaces bt2020 etc)  using Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC) and the MadVR renderer (download separately, here : http://madvr.com/ )

Configure the renderer manually in MPC-HC and if you can configure the monitor from Windows to 10bit per color then it should play straight forward otherwise, it may play 10bit per color only in full screen mode (the renderer acts like a full screen video game and goes around the Windows desktop stuff outputting 10bit per color straight to the video card and monitor)

thanks guys thats pretty useful

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64