Kaby Lake vs Ryzen

By how much will the price of the intel i5 7600k lower due to the Ryzen Launch?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. By how much will the price of the intel i5 7600k lower due to the Ryzen Launch?

Due to the recent Ryzen launch what will happen to the price of the Kaby Lake processors, specifically the intel i5 7600k? 

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

3 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

Due to the recent Ryzen launch what will happen to the price of the Kaby Lake processors, specifically the intel i5 7600k? 

The ones that have been released so far, BLOW IT OUT OF THE DAMN WATER!!!! WOOOO NO STOPPING THIS HYPE TRAIN!!!

To answer your post, I honestly have no idea. I am assuming Intel will have to respond with price cuts.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 minute ago, Vandorlot said:

-SNIP-

Wont budge a dime.

Intel knows becuase it has such a large market share, people would rather pay 20$ more for a better and more trusted name than taking an equivalent AMD chip

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Nobody knows but if we have to guess....No. Not right away anyway: the lower end SKUs are not even announced yet meaning they'll come late march but on little numbers so you're looking at mid april for reasonable availability and mid may for reasonable prices when volume is finally where it should be, so Intel can probably hold on until the "back to school" window to lower their prices.

In fact they're likely going to just go for Cannonlake with hyperthreaded i5s and maybe even 6 core i7s (if they can manage) instead of adjusting prices.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Wont budge a dime.

Intel knows becuase it has such a large market share, people would rather pay 20$ more for a better and more trusted name than taking an equivalent AMD chip

If they don't start to show some real performance numbers for their next gen and Ryzen winds up being anything close to the numbers AMD has been putting out, Intel will be in trouble unless they either slash prices or show some that their R&D that we hope has been going on comes to the surface soon.

Intel wasn't always on top... and I don't know where you're getting the $20 part from, its more like 54% cheaper vs intel.  Which at the top end translates to around ~$500 savings lol...

Also keep in mind when I say "Intel will be in trouble" I don't mean they will go bankrupt or anything close to that, I just really hope they have or are working on an "ace", otherwise you will see that market share slip pretty quickly if I had to guess.

Sole Proprietor of Pinnacle Gaming, forging record breaking PCs at an unbeatable (literally) value feat: M2 drives, "delidded" cpus & gpus, record breaking speeds (hwbot), platinum PSU (always tier one),  premium motherboards, now with RGB LIGHTING, and all at a budget price, dare to compare even vs building yourself 

2 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

ntel knows becuase it has such a large market share, people would rather pay 20$ more for a better and more trusted name than taking an equivalent AMD chip

But in the case of Ryzen, an equivalent i5 7600K CPU is like $50 cheaper or something...

That's the difference between a 1050ti or a 4GB RX480 (excluding rebates as a RX480 4GB can be only like $10 more than a 1050ti when rebates are around)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, SubLimation7 said:

If they don't start to show some real performance numbers for their next gen and Ryzen winds up being anything close to the numbers AMD has been putting out, Intel will be in trouble unless they either slash prices or show some that their R&D that we hope has been going on comes to the surface soon.

Intel wasn't always on top... and I don't know where you're getting the $20 part from, its more like 54% cheaper vs intel.  Which at the top end translates to around ~$500 savings lol...

The $20 figure came from comparing a midrange i5 (6600K) to an equivalent AMD chip of the time

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

11 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

The ones that have been released so far, BLOW IT OUT OF THE DAMN WATER!!!! WOOOO NO STOPPING THIS HYPE TRAIN!!!

To answer your post, I honestly have no idea. I am assuming Intel will have to respond with price cuts.

They will suffer if they don't cut prices. 

Goodbye monopoly!!!

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

But in the case of Ryzen, an equivalent i5 7600K CPU is like $50 cheaper or something...

That's the difference between a 1050ti or a 4GB RX480 (excluding rebates as a RX480 4GB can be only like $10 more than a 1050ti when rebates are around)

1050 Ti has more cuda cores so it is a better value while having the same VRAM. 

I'm guessing that if the overall performance of Ryzen is close to what we were shown, we'll see AMD's share rise in the enthusiast market, yet consumers will probably take a lot longer to make the potential switch. Intel's just been too dominant in the recent years to be immediately destroyed in the common market, unless OEMs really start to push AMD again. We'll see...

13 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

Wll duh the price will drop obviously if not the same

How can I edit a poll?

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

1 minute ago, Vandorlot said:

How can I edit a poll?

Same way you edit a topic

How big a deal this is for Intel is going to depend on more than just Cinebench multithreaded scores. So just hold on for a bit until we see Ryzen put through a real benchmark suite. Cinebench is clearly a strength, but it will have some weak spots too.

Broadwell-E certainly doesn't look like a great buy right now, especially for content creators, but it's already a slightly older product and I think Intel was already planning to replace it with Skylake-E sometime this year anyway. They may just wait for that to make any big moves.

31 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

1050 Ti has more cuda cores so it is a better value while having the same VRAM. 

But the RX480 has triple the number of cores tho...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

As someone who bought a 7700 (Not K) 5 days ago I definitely did a double take when I saw the Ryzen announcement. I've been debating whether or not to return the 7700 since I haven't recieved the motherboard for it yet. In terms of budget versus performance I'm still questioning my decision, but I came up with the following reasons why it's probably best to stay with Intel rather than jump to AMD for the time being (at least for me your reasons may vary). 

1) They're not talking about single core performance. I get that 8 cores and multi threading is the way of the future but it's still a few years away and right now single core matters just as much as multi core. Intel just performs better in that respect. It's one of the reasons the FX chips didn't do as well as they should have. Why knows Ryzen may have great single core performance?

2) Better support for legacy software. I know that Kabylake doesn't officially support Windows 7/8 but even with Ryzen there is a question how well it'll be supported with both newer applications and older ones. Intel generally just fares better with older applications in my experience (in terms of performance and compatibility). 

3) Even if Ryzen does well, it's not going to change the market overnight. Plus as long as you're on Skylake, there's a good chance that if Intel jumps on the budget 8 core bandwagon with Coffeelake you can just buy the new CPU as an upgrade. That's a big if though. If they decide to ditch the 14nm process, well that.. would suck. 

4) If you're gaming 4 cores is more than enough. 4K is great for an enthusiast build but most people game at 1080p. 4K gaming is still at least 3 years away from being mainstream. Developers are going to tailor optimization to the processor with the greater market share and that's intel. The i5 still has a stranglehold and probably will for a while. Though if AMD releases a 4 or 6 core processor at a lower price point than the i5, that'll be interesting. 

5) I know that it shows amazing performance at 8 cores in Cinebench and Blender but there's a big difference between actual performance and implementation in real world applications. I can buy 8 cores vs 4 cores but does that actually make a difference when I'm using photoshop or vegas or something else? I don't know and that annoys me. I know that once it comes out it'll probably show some kind of difference but as it is there's just nothing real world that really screams to me that this is worth buying. The streaming demo was kind of interesting but it was so manufactured. It's like when they ran the RX 480 in SLI on vulcan and show it beating the 1080. Yes that's amazing for the 480, but Vulcan isn't going to be adopted by every game for a while. 

As I said I'm still questioning it and going back and forth but Intel still seems like the smart play at the moment. The fact that I'm going back and forth shows that AMD does present a very inticing argument especially for budget oriented pc builds. Once 4K becomes more mainstream, I think AMD will find itself ahead of the curve, while intel will have a greater market share in the mobile market.