Headset with good surround

TomR

I'm looking for a gaming headset with very good surround audio. For the game I play (Rust) I need to be able to hear which direction sounds are coming from. I'm in the US. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, TomR said:

I'm looking for a gaming headset with very good surround audio. For the game I play (Rust) I need to be able to hear which direction sounds are coming from. I'm in the US. Thanks!

Does the game engine support surround audio? If so, stick with plain stereo headphones. I've had nothing but trouble with "surround" headphones where the sound card, headphones (ones with built in DAC) & game engine are all competing for audio direction. 

For me, game engines (world of tanks, overwatch, rocket league) sound better in plain stereo but tell the game you are using headphones. It will do the rest.

Unless you get a set with true multiple speakers inside the ear cups.

1 minute ago, Kc7vwc said:

Does the game engine support surround audio? If so, stick with plain stereo headphones. I've had nothing but trouble with "surround" headphones where the sound card, headphones (ones with built in DAC) & game engine are all competing for audio direction. 

For me, game engines (world of tanks, overwatch, rocket league) sound better in plain stereo but tell the game you are using headphones. It will do the rest.

lol i think you're right. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Kc7vwc said:

I guess I should ask now for a headset that will do a very good job of making stereo sound like surround, if that makes any sense

12 minutes ago, TomR said:

I use a Bluedio Turbine T3

Great surround and comforable.

Wired but with removeable cable

Foldable and bluetooth

I use them for gaming, vidoe editing and pretty much anything else, adn since its bluetooth aswell, i can use them on the go

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

15 minutes ago, Kc7vwc said:

I agree completely. Buying headphones with actual surrounding drivers lowers the sound quality dramatically. Nowadays for what its worth, you should use a surround emulation by software... (if the game engine doesnt include it).

"But... Its emulation, It wont work as good as the actual does!" Nope! The emulation works perfectly and gives you the benifit of being able to buy a good pair of stereo drives.

I use (kind of. They are not a stright up studio headphones, they are way pricier, but they sound wonderful) studio headphones, Audio Technica ATH-M40x (audio technica, akg, phillips are very good and reliable brands) , which I bought by 90€, and they are the best I have ever had. I always say that the best audio experience y a good couple of headphones and a mic (both desktop or something like modmic).

That said... If you want to keep It simple and you dont really care for sounquality buy a 40-50ish headphones.

If you mind to have an external mic (not integrated on the headset), still, buy a 30-50ish NOT GAMING headphones and a desktop mic (aukey Its a cheap and good brand), this last option is way better than the 2nd one.

I dont know if Im forgetting something, but I hope It helps you. Good luck!

DISCLAIMER: IMO. Dont ever buy a cheap SONY headset, they are the worse Ive ever tested. I cant say much about their high end products, but dont buy the cheap ones!

What's your price range?  Here is a good headset for $120 that is supposed to have great positional audio:

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A

If you need a microphone you can buy a clip-on mic.  Keep in mind I haven't personally used the 558, but I have used the 518 and pc360 (which are comparable) and the positional audio was great on those two.  If you're looking to spend some money, I currently use some akg k712 headphones and they are excellent for gaming, but probably not worth spending $300+ for a pair of gaming headphones.

HD558 is indeed a good entry level audiophile headphone and Rust does support virtual surround sound (it's one of the best features in the game, frankly). They really nailed their voice chat and range drop-off. Something really funny about seeing two naked people in the woods whispering to eachother so nobody else can pinpoint where they are.

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!