Case fan connected to CPU header issue, Pictures

krayiss

Q: Anyone else have this experience; the "CPU Fan" and "System Fan 1" settings show the opposite max RPMs?

and 2nd all 4 fans ramp up when I calibrate either CPU fan or System fan?

CPU Heatsink: Silverstone AR06 1200-2500 RPM PWM 7V-12V

Case Fans: Corsair ML120 x3 (2 GPU intake, 1 outside case CPU intake) 400-2400 RPM PWM ?V

Case: Node 202

Motherboard: Gigabyte z170n gaming 5

I7-7700k @4.7 GHz, gaming goes above 90C GTX 1080 evga ftw dt

I Connected 3 Corsair case fans to the CPU header and my CPU heatsink Silverstone fan to the system fan header on my Gigabyte z170n gaming 5.

Now on the gigabyte SIV, smart fan advanced controller 3 things are happening;

#1 The "CPU Fan" settings show the RPM 605-2519 (I connected the 3 Corsair ML120 as case fans 400-2400 RPM to the CPU fan header so it should not show the Silverstone RPM)

Capture.PNG

#2 The "System Fan 1" settings show the RPM 624-2377(I connected the 1 CPU Silverstone AR06 heatsink fan 1200-2500 RPM to the System fan header so it should not show the Corsair RPM)

Capture2.PNG

#3 When I calibrate the "CPU Fan" the 3 case fans and 1 CPU heatsink fan ramp up and when I calibrate the "System Fan 1" again the 3 case fans and 1 CPU heatsink fan ramp up.

The "CPU Fan" tab should show the case fan RPM 624-2377 and the "System Fan 1" tab should show the CPU RPM 1200-2519 because that is how I connected them.

Photo   Google Photos.png

Also HWiNFO64 shows CPU max 2528, OPT 2,376.

Capture3.PNG

Why do you want 3 system fans on a CPU header? Put all 3 fans on a system header and put the cooler on the CPU header, and try again.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

23 hours ago, Shiv78 said:

Why do you want 3 system fans on a CPU header? Put all 3 fans on a system header and put the cooler on the CPU header, and try again.

Thanks for the reply.

Why,? A bunch of reasons. Did not add all the reasons as this was already a long post and confusing and was just trying to figure out this issue.

I just can not figure out now what is going the RPMs and also why all 4 fans ramp up when I try to calibrate just the 3 fans or 1 fan on their own header. I thought someone might have run into the issue before so thought I would ask online.

This just seems like a HWMonitor issue. For one, it's recognizing a cpu_opt header when there isn't one.

Fans ramping up after changing settings is normal and probably due to how the fan controller is set up.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

This just seems like a HWMonitor issue. For one, it's recognizing a cpu_opt header when there isn't one.

Fans ramping up after changing settings is normal and probably due to how the fan controller is set up.

The max RPM corresponds with the rated fan RPM, cpu_opt is just the system fan name incorrectly labeled for w/e reason.

Also it is normal when I calibrate the System fan header for the CPU fan header fans to all ramp up also and vice versa?

It has never done that in the past.

2 minutes ago, krayiss said:

The max RPM corresponds with the rated fan RPM, cpu_opt is just the system fan name incorrectly labeled for w/e reason.

Also it is normal when I calibrate the System fan header for the CPU fan header fans to all ramp up also and vice versa?

It has never done that in the past.

It could be that HWmonitor is labeling the cpu_fan header as cpu_opt.

By 'the past', are you referring to this motherboard?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It could be that HWmonitor is labeling the cpu_fan header as cpu_opt.

By 'the past', are you referring to this motherboard?

Yes, 1 week ago with the same Gigabyte z170n gaming MB; I had the silverstone ar06 fan connected to the cpu_header and 2 Corsair ML120 case fans connected to the system fan header. The CPU and CPU OPT (system fan) showed the correct numbers.

Now I connected the silverstone ar06 fan to the system fan header and added 1 fan, so now 3 Corsair case fans connected to the CPU fan header.

Now the max RPM displayed on the CPU is 2528 as shown in the picture, but I have a corsair ML120 fan connected to the CPU header so it should show max 2376.

The max RPM displayed on the CPU_OPT is 2376 but I have the Silverstone ar06 fan connected so it show show max 2528.

The Gigabyte SIV controller also shows the same RPMs. I also can easily hear all 4 fans ramp up when I only calibrate the system fan header (1 fan).

4 hours ago, krayiss said:

The Gigabyte SIV controller also shows the same RPMs. I also can easily hear all 4 fans ramp up when I only calibrate the system fan header (1 fan).

I haven't used SIV in ages, but I'm pretty sure Calibrate will calibrate all headers at the same time. Thats also why button for it is located on top bar with other "global" commands.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I haven't used SIV in ages, but I'm pretty sure Calibrate will calibrate all headers at the same time. Thats also why button for it is located on top bar with other "global" commands.

Oh wow both fans RPMs change when I calibrate either. Thanks that solved problem #3:

#3 When I calibrate the CPU fan the 3 case fans and 1 CPU heatsink fan ramp up and when I calibrate the system fan again the 3 case fans and 1 CPU heatsink fan ramp up.

Still have problem #1 and #2 but I guess it is not that big of an issue now.

#1 The "CPU Fan" settings show the RPM 605-2519 (I connected the 3 Corsair ML120 as case fans 400-2400 RPM to the CPU fan header so it should not show the Silverstone RPM)

#2 The "System Fan 1" settings show the RPM 624-2377(I connected the 1 CPU Silverstone AR06 heatsink fan 1200-2500 RPM to the System fan header so it should not show the Corsair RPM)

The "CPU Fan" tab should show the case fan RPM 624-2377 and the "System Fan 1" tab should show the CPU RPM 1200-2519 because that is how I connected them.

28 minutes ago, krayiss said:

Still have problem #1 and #2 but I guess it is not that big of an issue now.

#1 The CPU fan settings show the RPM 605-2519 (I connected the 3 Corsair ML120 as case fans 400-2400 RPM to the CPU fan header so it should not show the Silverstone RPM)

#2 The System Fan settings show the RPM 624-2377(I connected the 1 CPU Silverstone AR06 heatsink fan 1200-2500 RPM to the System fan header so it should not show the Corsair RPM)

I'm not sure about rpms. But Sysfan on that board isn't PWM header. Its normal Gigabyte style 4pin with 3pin functionality. Rpm might have just bug. Maybe reset CMOS and try again? Also, update to latest BIOS. I know from personal experience that fan control isn't priority for Gigabyte when they code BIOS.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv