Planning to do format, can I still get the key?

Lenidar

Don't know if I posted in the correct part of the forum. Going to attempt and do the 'gaming PC and NAS in one tower' and I was wondering if I could still get my key. And btw I upgraded from 8.1 to 10. Also, do the drives attached to the NAS partition have to be formatted? Thanks in advance 

Processor : i7-6700k (stock speed)

Cooler : Hyper 212X

Motherboard: MSI Krait Gaming Z170

RAM : 4x4gb LPX Memory

Boot Device : Samsung 860 EVO

GPU : ZOTAC 1070 Extreme

PSU :Antec HCG-620M

So you have the machine up and running? There are a few software's that helps you to obtain the key :)

| Intel i5 4670k @ 4.3GHz | XFX RX 480 8 GB | Asus Z87i-Pro | 8.0 GB Kinston DDR3 | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD |

1 minute ago, OLS said:

So you have the machine up and running? There are a few software's that helps you to obtain the key :)

Yes, it's up and running. Okay, but my key being for Windows 8.1 affect it? Which ISO should I download, 8.1 or 10?

2 minutes ago, Lenidar said:

Yes, it's up and running. Okay, but my key being for Windows 8.1 affect it? Which ISO should I download, 8.1 or 10?

If I remember correct, when you upgrade the key change, so it should be the Windows 10. You can talk to the Windows Live Chat and they can verify the key for you so you know what version to download. I've done that once since I download the Windows 10 Home and I had Windows 10 Pro key

| Intel i5 4670k @ 4.3GHz | XFX RX 480 8 GB | Asus Z87i-Pro | 8.0 GB Kinston DDR3 | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD |

6 minutes ago, OLS said:

If I remember correct, when you upgrade the key change, so it should be the Windows 10. You can talk to the Windows Live Chat and they can verify the key for you so you know what version to download. I've done that once since I download the Windows 10 Home and I had Windows 10 Pro key

Alright. Last question, will it being windows 8.1 N version, emphasis on N version affect it?

If you upgraded from 8.1 to 10, download Produkey by Nirsoft and use your key form there and it will work with 10 :)

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

If you're on Win10 and it's activcated, you should have no need for the key.  Microsoft stores the key and your PC's hardware ID on their own servers.  When the PC comes online again after the format, it'll check in with MS who will verify that the hardware was previously registered.

Of course if you make changes to the hardware, it may not recognize the PC.  Then again even with the key it'll refuse to activate because you previously used that key on what MS considers other hardware.

On 24/02/2017 at 9:28 AM, Captain Chaos said:

If you're on Win10 and it's activcated, you should have no need for the key.  Microsoft stores the key and your PC's hardware ID on their own servers.  When the PC comes online again after the format, it'll check in with MS who will verify that the hardware was previously registered.

Of course if you make changes to the hardware, it may not recognize the PC.  Then again even with the key it'll refuse to activate because you previously used that key on what MS considers other hardware.

Really? Was planning to virtualize it too... Damn...

If you use a Microsoft Account then there is a good chance your key is tied to that. Which means during reinstall you dont need a key. You just skip it and then when you log back in with your MS account it should activate your computer. 

You can find out if this is so buy going to the Windows Settings > Update & Security > Activation 

I will say " Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"  

On top of that, this machine I am on original was running a Windows 7 retail license. Now its Windows 10. I have reinstalled without a key before, no issues. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.