Multiple Os's on a laptop with two ssd's

Nipplemilk909

hello, like the tittle says i got two ssds on my little asus 2.5ghz and i want to run multiple os's and really utilize these drives.

currently i want to put

tails

parrot

windows 10

or

zorin

tails for that tor browsing ;) 

parrot for that pen testing ;)

windows for my LOL addiction :P

but as im typing this its comming to mind that i can use a vm to boot tails 

right? 

either way im quite new to partitioning nd stuff 

one question is can i put the os's on one of the drives and then use the second and the left over memory as general storage

or do i put one on one drive and one on another one ?

thank you 

oh also i wanted to put i have another laptop but this one has 

one ssd 

one 1tb hhd

wanted to see some opinions/ suggestions on what to put on it

was thinking

manjero

windows 10

zorin 

elementary os

I've got no experience with Parrot, what distro is it based off? It makes it super easy to dual-boot with the Ubuntu installer from personal experience. 

Just run Tails off a USB drive, it's small anyway. 

Assume that I have two drives - one 256GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD.

I can partition the SSD with 64GB for Parrot and 192GB for Windows, and then store crap on the 1TB drive as I wish. 

idk

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I've got no experience with Parrot, what distro is it based off? It makes it super easy to dual-boot with the Ubuntu installer from personal experience. 

Just run Tails off a USB drive, it's small anyway. 

Assume that I have two drives - one 256GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD.

I can partition the SSD with 64GB for Parrot and 192GB for Windows, and then store crap on the 1TB drive as I wish. 

you dont need to configure the 1 tb drive tho? not even make a participation table? only on the ssd? 

oh and parrot is a debian dist. 

with rolling updates

wanted to try it out since ive used kali before 

1 minute ago, Nipplemilk909 said:

you dont need to configure the 1 tb drive tho? not even make a participation table? only on the ssd? 

oh and parrot is a debian dist. 

with rolling updates

wanted to try it out since ive used kali before 

As long as it's formatted NTFS (if you want to fit games on it) you should be able to mount and interact with the disk from either operating system. 

idk

17 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

As long as it's formatted NTFS (if you want to fit games on it) you should be able to mount and interact with the disk from either operating system. 

can i only format the drive NTFS in windows manager?

22 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

and 192GB for Windows

doesnt windows require 20 gigs minimum? why reserve more when u can store the rest of the data on the unused space?

another question, my apologies 

when u use multiple os's how are you controlling which one u want to use/ boot upto 

I used to run a quad-boot (XP+Vista+Win7+Ubuntu) setup on my old netbook, but 3x Windows and 1x Linux is a whole other thing than 3x Linux and 1x Windows. 

Especially Win10 is the big unknown to me, but it's been known to ruin multiboot bootloaders when it gets updated.  So I'd be VERY wary of that and opt for an older version of Windows.

Normally I'd install my Windows installs first (newest to oldest to prevent the installer from recognizing the other Windows installs, otherwise Windows sets up its own bootloader) on primary partitions, then install Linux on a logical partition.   The Linux installer automatically sees that there is already one or more OSes on the drive and will by default set up the GRUB bootloader.  That presents you with a menu every time you boot up the computer.

As for formatting the other disk to NTFS, you can do that from most (or perhaps all?) Linux distros. I know for a fact that Gparted can format drives in NTFS. 

Regarding space allocation, Windows has this tendency to grow over time due to shadow copies, restore points etc etc.  Personally I'd give any Windows install around 50GB or thereabouts, more if you plan to install games on the C:\ drive.  Better to have 20GB spare than to have 2GB too little.

5 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

I used to run a quad-boot (XP+Vista+Win7+Ubuntu) setup on my old netbook, but 3x Windows and 1x Linux is a whole other thing than 3x Linux and 1x Windows. 

Especially Win10 is the big unknown to me, but it's been known to ruin multiboot bootloaders when it gets updated.  So I'd be VERY wary of that and opt for an older version of Windows.

Normally I'd install my Windows installs first (newest to oldest to prevent the installer from recognizing the other Windows installs, otherwise Windows sets up its own bootloader) on primary partitions, then install Linux on a logical partition.   The Linux installer automatically sees that there is already one or more OSes on the drive and will by default set up the GRUB bootloader.  That presents you with a menu every time you boot up the computer.

As for formatting the other disk to NTFS, you can do that from most (or perhaps all?) Linux distros. I know for a fact that Gparted can format drives in NTFS. 

Regarding space allocation, Windows has this tendency to grow over time due to shadow copies, restore points etc etc.  Personally I'd give any Windows install around 50GB or thereabouts, more if you plan to install games on the C:\ drive.  Better to have 20GB spare than to have 2GB too little.

thank you thank you.

would running win 10 on a vm on one of the linux distros suffice?

win 7 is good nd all but all i fear is my security. 

you install win first so it wont recognized other windows but i was thinking of installing the linux systems first since it does seem a little more straight forward with gparted, 

im unfamiliar with the tool that windows uses to partition 

Seeing as you mention LOL, I'd advise against running Windows in a VM.  While it does run in a VM just fine, gaming is another matter.  The VM doesn't have direct access to the graphics card/chip of the laptop, it only gets a small  amount of resources for graphics.

With regards to security, I'm more worried about security on Win10 than on Win7.  So far just about every exploit and vulnerability works across the entire lineup from Vista to Win10. 

If I were a hacker, I'd be focusing primarily on finding vulnerabilities in Win10 though.  People still using Win7 and Win8.1 were tech savvy enough to not fall for any of the shenanigans MS pulled during the free upgrade period.  Those that did upgrade were either tricked by their OS or kids that think DirectX12 makes a difference and trust that their OS is now more secure because Microsoft said so.  That makes those people an easy target.  Hell, most of them are probably even running an admin account all the time so getting root access to their system is easy enough.

I find it funny how Windows 7 was always the best OS they ever released, and then wen Win10 was released suddenly win7 was flawed and people who insisted on running this unsafe OS were doing so "at their own peril"

Full disclosure : I personally really dislike Win10.  The telemetry, the forced updates that often break stuff, the ads etc etc.  So I might be biased with  regards to that.  Older Windows versions have the telemetry too nowadays, but at least they haven't started using those as an ad platform yet.

If you'll be using the Windows install only to play LOL and keep Linux for your regular browsing etc, you should be good with either version of Windows though.   

Installing Linux first might work, but personally I never managed to get the Windows installer to see the Linux installs.  It always made itself the only bootable OS.  Then again I never tried it with Win10.

You could do the partitioning with gparted while running Linux from a live USB stick.  Just create one primary partition of the size you want, leave the rest unallocated, reboot and tell Windows to install itself on that one partition.  The rest of the partitions can be added later as you install the various Linux distros. 

The partitioning tool in Windows is okay though.  It'll automatically set everything up properly but will default to taking the entire SSD, so you'll manually need to tell it how many MB you want to allocate (for a 50GB partition that would be 51200).