Picking a replacement psu

keenhydra

Hello there,

I'm looking to upgrade my psu as one of the last parts of my pc upgrade cycle.

I currently own a semi modular xfx 650w xxx 80+, don't quote me on this. I know it's an xfx 650w xxx I'm just not sure if it's 80+ or better.

Now, what I'm looking for. A power supply capable of delivering at least 650 to 750 watts, preferably platinum rated. And full modular cable package is a must since I'm planning on getting a cable mod cable set in a specific colour.

If anyone has any suggestion or ideas that would be helpful since I don't really know a lot about psu's.

Also, budget is up to €300, but may vary.

Thanks in advance,

Hydra 

1 minute ago, RaptorCandy said:

Why do you want a 650-750W PSU?

Right now I'm running on a rx480 by xfx, I might upgrade to crosfire rx480 or even switch to nvidia gtx 1080 maybe even SLI.

Matter is, I'm constantly upgrading and changing parts so I want to be safe that my psu can handle almost anything I do to it.

4 minutes ago, RaptorCandy said:

Why do you want a 650-750W PSU?

Maybe he is running multiple GPU and maybe like 6 or 10 HDD and tons of LED lights roughly about 25 meters long. So ... Yeah ...

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

1 minute ago, keenhydra said:

Right now I'm running on a rx480 by xfx, I might upgrade to crosfire rx480 or even switch to nvidia gtx 1080 maybe even SLI.

Matter is, I'm constantly upgrading and changing parts so I want to be safe that my psu can handle almost anything I do to it.

It's better to buy 1 GTX 1080 instead of 2 RX 480's. But if you're going to run a GTX 1080 in SLI in the future then you should get a 650W PSU. But if you don't plan to run the GTX 1080 in SLI a 550W will do just fine.

Here you have two different PSU's:
550W: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1
650W: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/9q4NnQ/evga-power-supply-220g20650y1

4 minutes ago, VolkA said:

Maybe he is running multiple GPU and maybe like 6 or 10 HDD and tons of LED lights roughly about 25 meters long. So ... Yeah ...

2x GTX 1070 can run on a 550W PSU.. And I don't believe he's even running 5+ HDD's. LED's don't up much Wattage lol. and 25m....

1 minute ago, RaptorCandy said:

2x GTX 1070 can run on a 550W PSU.. And I don't believe he's even running 5+ HDD's. LED's don't up much Wattage lol. and 25m....

Haha. Well, I guess he is trying to future proof it? At least that was what I did in the past when I purchase my PSU. 1000W ...

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

1 minute ago, VolkA said:

Haha. Well, I guess he is trying to future proof it? At least that was what I did in the past when I purchase my PSU. 1000W ...

GPU's are using lower Wattages these days. I'm still using the Corsair RM1000x while running 2 GTX 1080's in SLI and it's still overkill.. In the past it wasn't but now it is lol

5 minutes ago, RaptorCandy said:

GPU's are using lower Wattages these days. I'm still using the Corsair RM1000x while running 2 GTX 1080's in SLI and it's still overkill.. In the past it wasn't but now it is lol

I know right. I'm also planning to SLI my 1080 but ... I'm concern on the heat generated out. Haha.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, RaptorCandy said:

So to break your belief here.. I'm running 3 HHD's 2 SSD's and one external HDD.. So he's kinda right. And also a full rgb pherifials set by corsair as well as 5M of led under the table. So he's kinda right here.. :)

1 minute ago, keenhydra said:

So to break your belief here.. I'm running 3 HHD's 2 SSD's and one external HDD.. So he's kinda right. And also a full rgb pherifials set by corsair as well as 5M of led under the table. So he's kinda right here.. :)

That's 4 HDD's in total. Not 5+, your maximum Wattage that will be taken is around 600W if you're running SLI (including overclock etc.) otherwise it will be around 500W.

9 minutes ago, keenhydra said:

Holy *%#$ I was actually pretty close there, in a way. Haha. Nice. :)

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, RaptorCandy said:

That's 4 HDD's in total. Not 5+, your maximum Wattage that will be taken is around 600W if you're running SLI (including overclock etc.) otherwise it will be around 500W.

As of now I'm running on a single gpu but that will change in the future to what exactly I'm not sure yet. I just want to make sure my psu can handle whatever I throw at it. :)

24 minutes ago, RaptorCandy said:

It's better to buy 1 GTX 1080 instead of 2 RX 480's. But if you're going to run a GTX 1080 in SLI in the future then you should get a 650W PSU. But if you don't plan to run the GTX 1080 in SLI a 550W will do just fine.

Here you have two different PSU's:
550W: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1
650W: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/9q4NnQ/evga-power-supply-220g20650y1

The gpu thing is still unsure for the future with first up upgrading cpu to something more viable.. 

Thanks for the help I'll have a look once I get near my laptop. :)

7 hours ago, RaptorCandy said:

Unfortunately, with Pascal cards, these newer cards actually use *more* power than their Maxwell predecessors. If SLIing 1080s I'd personally grab a 750W.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

18 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Unfortunately, with Pascal cards, these newer cards actually use *more* power than their Maxwell predecessors. If SLIing 1080s I'd personally grab a 750W.

was thinking that, also want to anticipate future updates to my rig so might even go with 850W or more just to be safe.