Microsoft Account - Local and Online Help

mealto

So I like running Win 10 with a local Windows account. Just noticed Microsoft is offering Forza 6 as a free download. But it looks like you need to create a Microsoft accuont to be able to play the game. If I create an account, will it link it to my Win 10 account? If so, will it mess anything up, like require me to use this log in to Win 10 from now on?

I assume you're talking about Forza Motorsport 6: Apex. Yes, you NEED a Microsoft account which will link your PC's local account. As for messing things up, I don't really see what there is to mess up. You'd be basically logging in with the same password (assuming you use the same password, that is) or PIN (assuming you're using a PIN) and I don't really see any disadvantages in using a Microsoft account <_<

@AluminiumTech

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 hour ago, revsilverspine said:

I assume you're talking about Forza Motorsport 6: Apex. Yes, you NEED a Microsoft account which will link your PC's local account.

^^^^

But it looks like you need to create a Microsoft accuont to be able to play the game.

Yes it does require one.

If I create an account, will it link it to my Win 10 account?

Windows 10 account? I presume you mean local account.

the Microsoft account can be linked to the Windows key on your PC.

There should be nothing to mess up.

Thanks for looping me in :).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

All Store purchases needs to be tied to your account. It isn't tied to your computer. This allows you to not have to re-purchase your game every time you re-install Windows, upgrade it, or transfer systems. Also, you can install and play your game on up to 10PCs at the same time. So you can have it at multiple computers at home, your laptop, and assuming it can play, your Windows powered tablet (if any), and more.

It won't mess up anything, the only change you'll notice is that your password when you login will no longer be the one for your local account, it will be your newly created and linked Microsoft account one.

They are more benefits in having a Microsoft linked account, such as:

- OneDrive integration

- Your settings, your personalization set on the system, is sync between your devices.

- Your Windows key is linked to your account, making re-installs of Windows 10 easier.

- Edge bookmarks and stuff sync between your system

- Access to subscription services like Office 365, Groove Music, and other services like Movie rentals (via the Store)

- You can send and receive SMS on your PC, and get critical phone notifications like: low battery. (This is for Android with Cortana installed, or Windows 10 Mobile device. No iPhone support sue to the locked down OS)

Since all replies pointed towards creating a Microsoft Online account will overide the local account, I found out you can skip the sync all together. As @revsilverspine pointed out, Microsoft is offering Forza Motorsport 6: Apex as a free download for Windows 10 users. I do not want to link my local account to online account and I certainly do not what my online account to take over the controlling of my local password. To my surprise, during the last stage of game install, there was an option to just "log in to the app only". That is what I did and was able to avoid linking of my local account. Thank goodness! But if most people here already think things have to be linked, maybe MSFT made this change recently.