Is this a good hard drive for NAS storage?

babadoctor
Go to solution Solved by Jacktastic-Mofo,
Just now, babadoctor said:

If its running 24/7, would that be lightweight?

by running, i mean it is just on

Yeah, I'm assuming you're not using it for 24/7 loading of files on and off. I've got a nas, 2x1TB HDD"s that are powered on 24/7 for months- they just fetch and store tv shows, and movies for my Plex server, and archives of my multi-media projects.

1 minute ago, babadoctor said:

its a joke 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

No, not at all, but I would recommend enterprise no matter what.

I don't have SAS compatibility on my server

its just sata 3

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

It'll be fine, I wouldn't throw a dozen of them in a single system- but a single one, or a few of them for mostly lightweight usage (like you'll be using it for) is perfectly fine.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

2 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

It'll be fine, I wouldn't throw a dozen of them in a single system- but a single one, or a few of them for mostly lightweight usage (like you'll be using it for) is perfectly fine.

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Just now, babadoctor said:

Yeah, I'm assuming you're not using it for 24/7 loading of files on and off. I've got a nas, 2x1TB HDD"s that are powered on 24/7 for months- they just fetch and store tv shows, and movies for my Plex server, and archives of my multi-media projects.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

just wanna say, if you're planning on using any hard drive for storing data you care about, you should have two of them ;)

25 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

PS backblaze stats are not a good indicator of actual HDD failure rates, as some are tested with 50 units and others with 5000. 

but everybody can agree the 3tb barracuda sucks ass

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

PS backblaze stats are not a good indicator of actual HDD failure rates, as some are tested with 50 units and others with 5000. 

but everybody can agree the 3tb barracuda sucks ass

backblaze has serious faults, but does actually have *some* interesting stats that can come out of it.

(for example if a specific type of drive does really good for a while, and then 60% of the batch clunks out in one test period, that may be some reason for concern about projected lifespan)

that said, the 3TB barracuda thing is probably worse than amd/nvidia, windows/mac, android/iphone, or power supply fan up or down.

the reviews on my retailer of choice are split about 50/50 between "had it for 6 months and it died. shame." and "had it for 3 months and it still works fine, everyone who says they die are liars"

whereas the pretty much identially priced toshiba 3TB drive has reviews along the lines of "put a big number of these in data storage service, if the raid cards toss the occasional one out, we just end up using it as cold backup"

and for everyone yammering about these drives not being made for this kind of workload, if a similarly priced drive is FAR more reliable in the punishment they go trough in a NAS/storage enviroment, imagine how well they'll do in your desktop.

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

backblaze has serious faults, but does actually have *some* interesting stats that can come out of it.

(for example if a specific type of drive does really good for a while, and then 60% of the batch clunks out in one test period, that may be some reason for concern about projected lifespan)

that said, the 3TB barracuda thing is probably worse than amd/nvidia, windows/mac, android/iphone, or power supply fan up or down.

the reviews on my retailer of choice are split about 50/50 between "had it for 6 months and it died. shame." and "had it for 3 months and it still works fine, everyone who says they die are liars"

whereas the pretty much identially priced toshiba 3TB drive has reviews along the lines of "put a big number of these in data storage service, if the raid cards toss the occasional one out, we just end up using it as cold backup"

and for everyone yammering about these drives not being made for this kind of workload, if a similarly priced drive is FAR more reliable in the punishment they go trough in a NAS/storage enviroment, imagine how well they'll do in your desktop.

my dad has a pair of 1.5TB barras that he put in his desktop when he built it ~q1'10. 

one died after 5 years

and the second is showing signs of death now, getting sloooooow. 

but that's a testament to their reliability, I guess. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

my dad has a pair of 1.5TB barras that he put in his desktop when he built it ~q1'10. 

one died after 5 years

and the second is showing signs of death now, getting sloooooow. 

but that's a testament to their reliability, I guess. 

seemingly, the barracuda issue is tied to very specificly their 3TB drives, i have a 250GB barracuda (from back when that was still a drive full of platters) that's still going strong.

I've used plenty of Hitachi hard drives both in production and for personal use and haven't had any issues with them. All hard drives have risks, they could last minutes or years due to so many different factors. If you want to reduce the risk of hard drive failure then your options are either running a RAID configuration or taking backups of the data at an interval your comfortable with. For example, my personal NASes only have single hard drives in them (DS110j and DS115j) but I'm OK with that because my important data is replicated in real time to multiple locations which means I would need quite a few hard drives to fail at once in order to lose any data, and even then I'd still have a backup of that data that's less than 24 hours old.

-KuJoe

13 hours ago, KuJoe said:

I've used plenty of Hitachi hard drives both in production and for personal use and haven't had any issues with them. All hard drives have risks, they could last minutes or years due to so many different factors. If you want to reduce the risk of hard drive failure then your options are either running a RAID configuration or taking backups of the data at an interval your comfortable with. For example, my personal NASes only have single hard drives in them (DS110j and DS115j) but I'm OK with that because my important data is replicated in real time to multiple locations which means I would need quite a few hard drives to fail at once in order to lose any data, and even then I'd still have a backup of that data that's less than 24 hours old.

real time backup?

doesn't that make your computer slow...?

1 minute ago, babadoctor said:

real time backup?

doesn't that make your computer slow...?

Nope, SSDs are amazing. :)

-KuJoe

14 hours ago, manikyath said:

seemingly, the barracuda issue is tied to very specificly their 3TB drives, i have a 250GB barracuda (from back when that was still a drive full of platters) that's still going strong.

i bought a seagate 2tb pipeline HDD and it DIED AFTER 2 MONTHS.

I have bad luck w/ hard drives