Is Ryzen geared for PC Gamers?

2 minutes ago, GeekTripp said:

What does everyone think? Is Ryzen geared more toward PC Gamers? With the new leaks, it seems AMD not including the integrated graphics may have allowed them to completely out price Intel. 

WHAAT? PCMR with IGPU??

Not including iGPUs is smart imo.  Who buys a top tier CPU and uses the integrated graphics?  No one.  They would buy an actual GPU for another few hundred $ for sure.

That said, I'm not convinced it is marketed toward gamers; based on what we've seen so far, their high-end chips (1800X, etc.) look like they're gonna match or beat Intel for half the price, so... rip Intel in that market, but when it comes to the quad cores, afaik RyZen's clock speeds are lower and so is their IPC when comparing with something like a 6700k (a common gaming CPU).

Of course, being roughly half the price make it impossible to ignore, even if it isn't as good as the best Intel "gaming CPUs", but still, something to think about.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

No. Definitely geared just for console gamers.

Meaning instead of general purpose application, it's actually geared specifically to gamers. That's something we almost never see from CPU manufacturers...

1 minute ago, GeekTripp said:

Meaning instead of general purpose application, it's actually geared specifically to gamers. That's something we almost never see from CPU manufacturers...

Really?  It seems like the entire i5 and mainstream i7 line from Intel were designed with precisely that in mind.  Anyone who needs more power would get a 6 or 8 core, and anyone who doesn't need the performance of an i5 would be fine on a Pentium or i3.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Ryzen is geared towards the elderly who likes to shout in forums, about how beautiful their grand children looks, and a never ending flame war about  which dentures are better.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Ryzen is geared towards the elderly who likes to shout in forums, about how beautiful their grand children looks, and a never ending flame war about  which dentures are better.

What!? xD 

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What!? xD 

I answered OP's question, and those were the words, my neurons had selected. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

12 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I REALLY, and I mean REALLY want to see AMD marketing it like that. I would PMSL. I'm probably going to be buying Ryzen anyway, but that would surely seal the deal.

5 hours ago, GeekTripp said:

How would you gear CPU towards gamers? I can see few things that Intel or AMD could do about this but honestly it would cost them a lot of money and wouldn't be worth the benefits anyway... It could even cause problems.

Sure, if you are gaming you don't need integrated GPU and I would welcome cheaper i3, i5, i7 variants with no iGPU but that's about it.

So far Ryzen seems to be like this. Now lets just wait for performance reviews. I am definitely excited.

if it does not feature a ''10 years old intel CPU IPC'' at launch like the AMD FX did 6 years ago...then yeah it might appeal to gamers on a budget, but like @Ryan_Vickers said i highly doubt it will be on par or better then intel skylake/kabylake when it comes to gaming performance.

We've seen the cinebench multi-threaded scores and they look good, but then they say the simultaneous multi-threading scale better than intel on those chips so this worries me a whole bunch as to what the actual single-threaded performance/IPC of a core realisticaly can be. :(

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

8 hours ago, GeekTripp said:

What does everyone think? Is Ryzen geared more toward PC Gamers? With the new leaks, it seems AMD not including the integrated graphics may have allowed them to completely out price Intel. 

https://gamermeld.com/wait-for-ryzen-its-made-for-pc-gaming/

It's a great all around cpu.  That said it will do just as well as intel at modern games, and since it has more cores it will age better.  Sort of like the 2600k surpassing the 2500k in gaming.

There is almost no reason to buy an intel cpu at this point!  AMD has better offerings at lower price points. 

6 minutes ago, Gene Starwind said:

It's a great all around cpu.  That said it will do just as well as intel at modern games, and since it has more cores it will age better.  Sort of like the 2600k surpassing the 2500k in gaming.

There is almost no reason to buy an intel cpu at this point!  AMD has better offerings at lower price points. 

WOW...calm down son...the thing isn't even out yet...we don't know how much it will cost...we don't know how it will perform...how much motherboard will cost etc. we know nothing about it...how can you say such things?! considering intel outdone already?! omg...you know...intel can drop prices too...they can launch CPU's...intel has like 19X the AMD budget...they can do A LOT...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

WOW...calm down son...the thing isn't even out yet...we don't know how much it will cost...we don't know how it will perform...how much motherboard will cost etc. we know nothing about it...how can you say such things?! considering intel outdone already?! omg...you know...intel can drop prices too...they can launch CPU's...intel has like 19X the AMD budget...they can do A LOT...

Ahh.. You might not know, but I do.

We have had dozens of sources for pricing, and it just popped up on amazon.   Same for performance.

Several Motherboard prices for msi and asus have been up for awhile.

Intel won't drop the price of their 7700 to $250, which is about all it's really worth.  I doubt they will drop prices at all. 

The i3 is basically worthless compared to an unlocked 4 core.  Maybe if they dropped it down to $60, then ppl might use it for a htpc or something.

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Not including iGPUs is smart imo.  Who buys a top tier CPU and uses the integrated graphics?  No one.  They would buy an actual GPU for another few hundred $ for sure.

That said, I'm not convinced it is marketed toward gamers; based on what we've seen so far, their high-end chips (1800X, etc.) look like they're gonna match or beat Intel for half the price, so... rip Intel in that market, but when it comes to the quad cores, afaik RyZen's clock speeds are lower and so is their IPC when comparing with something like a 6700k (a common gaming CPU).

Of course, being roughly half the price make it impossible to ignore, even if it isn't as good as the best Intel "gaming CPUs", but still, something to think about.

I would say it is, mostly because they are offering real quad-cores (not i3's) for a fraction of the price of an i5, completely unlocked. Meanwhile, Intel still sells locked i5's for upwards of $180. We have little to no information as to how well these smaller chips will overclock, but it's likely safe to assume they will overclock higher than their 8c/16t counterparts. If the rumors are true, and you can get 4c/8t for $150ish, then I'd say they are indeed marketing Ryzen (as a whole) towards gamers. They just chose to do it on a unified platform to allow them the means to upgrade to production-level CPU's without having to swap the entire platform.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

17 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yeah...how would i know that...it's not like i own one!!

and NO, it's NOWHERE near as good as a modern intel quad-core...especially not when it comes to gaming

Just a FYI from what I researched about upcoming AMD's CPU lineup, though it's nothing 100% confirmed:

Zen-based Athlons and APUs will release later than those Summit Ridge RYZEN CPUs, and current Bulldozer-based CPU-lineup will drop in price significantly making it a temporary (for around a year) low-end AMD lineup. And I think it's not such a bad idea cause those 6-8 cores perform now better than ever due to their multithreaded potential finally being more utilized, there's many new videos comparing those to low-end Intel offerings and they stack up suprisingly well depending on the game.

^This is probably why they kept the AM3+ platform going with new motherboards and adding features such as M.2, USB 3.1 etc etc. despite being very close to RYZEN launch. So they've still got something for the low-end until they release Athlons (or whatever they choose to call the low-end line)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Just a FYI from what I researched about upcoming AMD's CPU lineup, though it's nothing 100% confirmed:

Zen-based Athlons and APUs will release later than those Summit Ridge RYZEN CPUs, and current Bulldozer-based CPU-lineup will drop in price significantly making it a temporary (for around a year) low-end AMD lineup. And I think it's not such a bad idea cause those 6-8 cores perform now better than ever due to their multithreaded potential finally being more utilized, there's many new videos comparing those to low-end Intel offerings and they stack up suprisingly well depending on the game.

^This is probably why they kept the AM3+ platform going with new motherboards and adding features such as M.2, USB 3.1 etc etc. despite being very close to RYZEN launch.

And to be fair AMD already impacted intel...intel launched an hyper-threaded dual-core pentium for 60$ (i mean...wow) and also an unlocked core i3 (albeit it overpriced right now, will probably see a severe price reduction once zen is readily available) so it's all good...i'm not bashing on AMD or bashing on this kid here...but i mean, juste come on lol read his original post which had me byte on it... :P lol

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Not including iGPUs is smart imo.  Who buys a top tier CPU and uses the integrated graphics?  No one.  

I do for my secondary monitor. The reason was that it used to be VGA monitor only now I have different one with HDMI but I sticked with iGPU for some reason.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

And to be fair AMD already impacted intel...intel launched an hyper-threaded dual-core pentium for 60$ (i mean...wow) and also an unlocked core i3 (albeit it overpriced right now, will probably see a severe price reduction once zen is readily available) so it's all good...i'm not bashing on AMD or bashing on this kid here...but i mean, juste come on lol read his original post which had me byte on it... :P lol

Ah, this was unrelated to your discussion with him, just a FYI that I found and analyzed after researching about what AMD is gonna do next with Zen :P

I disagree with what he said as well, though imo what I said above, I think it's a good business decision from AMD cause:

1. They've got more time to develop lower-end CPU offerings since Summit Ridge starts from 129$ 4C/4T CPU

2. They don't have to commit resources for that ATM and can fully focus on RYZEN and Vega (And they don't have as many resources as Intel or Nvidia for obvious reasons)

3. Those CPUs still do fairly well despite their age in modern games and can easily compete with Intel's low-end offerings if priced right

4. It's good for their financial situation since their fabs don't need any adjustments for Bulldozer-based CPU production so it doesn't cost them much to keep them going for a year more before they launch Athlons/APUs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

5 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

3. Those CPUs still do fairly well despite their age in modern games and can easily compete with Intel's low-end offerings if priced right

well...this is watch dogs 2 that game has proved to be very very well multi-threaded and will scale even up to a 6 core 12 thread i7-6800K if you trow at it...here how the FX-8370 which is a factory overclocked vishera chip perform compared to current low end and mid-range intel's offerings in a modern day multi-threaded game...also, gamer nexus...indisputable source:

i mean it's not bad...and like you say ''if priced well'' in SOME games it can still hold a candle to a modern i3...but still, would you buy that?!

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

well...this is watch dogs 2 that game has proved to be very very well multi-threaded and will scale even up to a 6 core 12 thread i7-6800K if you trow at it...here how the FX-8370 which is a factory overclocked vishera chip perform compared to current low end and mid-range intel's offerings in a modern day multi-threaded game...also, gamer nexus...indisputable source:

[link]

i mean it's not bad...and like you say ''if priced well'' in SOME games it can still hold a candle to a modern i3...but still, would you buy that?!

This is one of the many recent videos I was talking about, I mean...

It's obviously worse than the 7350K for gaming overall, but it's not terrible imo and again, if priced well, why not? :P Some good benches in that video + a summary in performance between those two CPUs, please have a look ^_^

Considering the price of a 7350K + Z270 compared to a used 83X0 + 970/990FX mobo, you get much better FPS/$, right?

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Considering the price of a 7350K + Z270 compared to a used 83X0 + 970/990FX mobo, you get much better FPS/$, right?

yeah but a 7350: + Z270 board is also probably the worst intel combo you can buy $/FPS wise ATM :P

i'll watch the video ;)

20 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Here,

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11143/amd-launch-ryzen-52-more-ipc-eight-cores-for-under-330-preorder-today-on-sale-march-2nd?_ga=1.57474282.1932145986.1448157588

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yeah but a 7350: + Z270 board is also probably the worst intel combo you can buy $/FPS wise ATM :P

i'll watch the video ;)

True, I'd rather get an i5-7400 + BX50/HX70 instead :P