New GTX 1070 poor performance, i5-6500 bootlenecking gpu ????

XadasPer

Hi, I just builded new gaming rig (GTX 1070,i5-6500,8gb ram,MSI b150m mortar) and I am getting low fps and sttuders in all games, GTA is running on 40-50 fps. What could be problem?? I tried for many hours.

For your answer thanks in advance.

*EDIT* Hi, I tried witcher 3 full, hairwork on, smooth playing, Then I tried 3dmark firestrike and graphic score was 17 849 others gtx 1070s had more or less same so I dedicated from that gpu is good, but  i5-6500 had wery low physic score and that took down my overhaul score to about 12 900. So this could be sing that  i5-6500 is bootlenecking gtx 1070 ???????

Edited by XadasPer

Don't use the drivers in the box, download the latest ones from Nvidia's website.

Try reseating the GPU in the slot by taking it out and putting it back in.

idk

2 hours ago, Droidbot said:

Don't use the drivers in the box, download the latest ones from Nvidia's website.

Try reseating the GPU in the slot by taking it out and putting it back in.

I downloaded newest drivers from Nvidia website.

8 minutes ago, XadasPer said:

1080p

Then it's most probably a CPU bottleneck.
Install MSI Afterburner and monitor your CPU and GPU usage % and then get back to us.
Or, if CPU usage > GPU usage then your CPU is bottlencking your system.

3 minutes ago, just tilt said:

Install MSI Afterburner and monitor your CPU and GPU usage % and then get back to us.

it's a 6500 and a 1070, there is little bottleneck.

what PSU, OP?

and what brand/model 1070?

idk

I had same issues when I got my 6700k system up and running.

start fresh remove all drivers and reinstall what games are you benchmarking in and check the frame rates not locked in the settings.

9 hours ago, XadasPer said:

Hi, I just builded new gaming rig (GTX 1070,i5-6500,8gb ram,MSI b150m mortar) and I am getting low fps and sttuders in all games, GTA is running on 40-50 fps. What could be problem?? I tried for many hours.

For your answer thanks in advance.

are you on a fresh windows install? have you installed all the drivers for your motherboard including intel chipset drivers? do you have any other drivers from previous graphics solutions still installed somewhere on your boot drive?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

are you on a fresh windows install? have you installed all the drivers for your motherboard including intel chipset drivers? do you have any other drivers from previous graphics solutions still installed somewhere on your boot drive?

Yes, it a fresh install of windows 10, newest gpu drivers directly from nvidia, installed all drivers for motherboard, I dont have any previous drivers from other cards.

5 hours ago, Derrick8334 said:

You might want to get another stick of ram also if it's just 8Gigs. Games like BF and GTAV require RAM. And a lot of it 

Ok, I will try to add another stick but i think it wont help the performance

8 hours ago, Droidbot said:

it's a 6500 and a 1070, there is little bottleneck.

what PSU, OP?

and what brand/model 1070?

my psu is 600w from coolermasters, and I have asus gtx 1070 turbo.

8 hours ago, just tilt said:

Cpu usage is betwen 92-100 alomost all time 99-100, gpu on the otherhand was betwen 50-80

11 hours ago, Aytex said:

Is Vsync on?

Whats your CPU and GPU usage % on load

Have you tried Using DDU to uninstall and reinstall drivers

(i'm suspecting bottleneck) 

vsync is off, cpu is 92-100% but most of the time its 99-100 %, gpu is 50-80% .

16 minutes ago, XadasPer said:

Cpu usage is betwen 92-100 alomost all time 99-100, gpu on the otherhand was betwen 50-80

what game are we talking about?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

45 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

what game are we talking about?

GTA 5

59 minutes ago, XadasPer said:

GTA 5

try reducing grass quality to ''HIGH''

disable reflection MSAA

in advanced graphics tab, turn all these off

try again.

What other games do you have installed that you could test?

2 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

try reducing grass quality to ''HIGH''

disable reflection MSAA

in advanced graphics tab, turn all these off

try again.

What other games do you have installed that you could test?

Hi, I tried witcher 3 full, hairwork on, smooth 60 fps( I turned on fps limitation), The I tried 3dmark firestrike and graphic score was 17 849 others gtx 1070s had more or less same so I dedicated that gpu is good, but  i5-6500 had wery low physic score and that took down my overhaul score to about 12 900. So this could be sing that  i5-6500 is bootlenecking gtx 1070 ???????

15 hours ago, XadasPer said:

CPU bottleneck.
Try switching to 1440p and lower the details a bit?

Yup. Should not have went with a weak i5, and a GTX 1070.

And of course, not with jus 8gb ram. That's not even enough for Browsing the web lol (at least for me). 16gb is minimum, any Midrange PC or higher should have. 8gb ONLY if you are on a tight budget. Which you're not if you can afford a GTX 1070.

Might be ok for many games, but for some, the CPU bottlenecks.

If you can, return the i5, and get an i7 6700 (or i7 7700 if you do a Bios update before), or return the GPU for a GTX 1060 / RX 480.

Fits MUCH better to "just" an i5.

Tbh, i would much rather pair an i7 + GTX 1060/RX 480, than an i5 with a GTX 1070, for ANY new Gaming PC Setup. The Reason is exactly this Thread's problem :(

Btw... if you just build the PC, why didn't you wait this 1-2 weeks for Ryzen? MUCH better Multicore performance.

Or why not the better Kaby Lake?

Why only 8gb Ram?

If your overall score on 3DMark Fire Strike is 12900 then there's definitely something wrong with your PC. I have a client that has a 6600K stock and 980 ti stock and is pulling 13K. Granted the 980 Ti is around 10-20% slower than the 1070 and the 6600K stock isn't that far off a 6500. Yours should be easily hitting 14K+.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7272936

13 minutes ago, ybriK said:

If your overall score on 3DMark Fire Strike is 12900 then there's definitely something wrong with your PC. I have a client that has a 6600K stock and 980 ti stock and is pulling 13K. Granted the 980 Ti is around 10-20% slower than the 1070 and the 6600K stock isn't that far off a 6500. Yours should be easily hitting 14K+.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7272936

Well, 980 ti and GTX 1070 are basicly same performance. At best, depending on Model and Factory Overclock, it will be +- <5% only.

it's definitely NOT 10-20% difference there.

If it's a good 980 ti, which can make 1.5 Ghz overclock stable, it can even exceed the GTX 1070 performance a bit.

So, those numbers are perfectly fine. Your client pulling 13k seems fine compared to these 12900 here, which is "basicly" the same.

those 100 points off can come from lower Physics score, due to the lower clocked i5 6500. And depending on which GPU models are involved.

On your test, it's a GTX 980 ti with a whooping 1329 Mhz.

"normal" Stock clock speed according to Nvidia Specifications is 1 ghz clock speed, and 1075 Mhz Boost.

Compared to the Boost Clock speed, your Client's GTX 980 ti has a 23% overclock. ^^" (better Custom cooler, higher factory overclock, Nvidia Boost 2.0. that all can give you this high overclock, compared to Factory specifications, without manually Overclock )

2 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Well, 980 ti and GTX 1070 are basicly same performance. At best, depending on Model and Factory Overclock, it will be +- <5% only.

it's definitely NOT 10-20% difference there.

If it's a good 980 ti, which can make 1.5 Ghz overclock stable, it can even exceed the GTX 1070 performance a bit.

So, those numbers are perfectly fine. Your client pulling 13k seems fine compared to these 12900 here, which is "basicly" the same.

those 100 points off can come from lower Physics score, due to the lower clocked i5 6500. And depending on which GPU models are involved.

On your test, it's a GTX 980 ti with a whooping 1329 Mhz.

"normal" Stock clock speed according to Nvidia Specifications is 1 ghz clock speed, and 1075 Mhz Boost.

Compared to the Boost Clock speed, your Client's GTX 980 ti has a 23% overclock. ^^" (better Custom cooler, higher factory overclock, Nvidia Boost 2.0. that all can give you this high overclock, compared to Factory specifications, without manually Overclock )

This. A good 980Ti can surpass the newer 1070 by quite a bit, actually. It's like Fury vs 480 but backwards. 

idk