GTX 960 My disappointment and mistake

Antipathy17

Hello all. I am a gamer and a complainer =D

I just wanted to post about a subject that has me a little heated at the moment and that is my GTX 960. I have the 2gb version of the card but I am not excluding the 4gb version from my disappointment as well. 

Personally I think the 2gb version should have never been sold. I shouldn't have bought it for starters but the value really wasn't understood when it first came out. I've owned this card since the week of the 2gb launch, as soon as it hit newegg.com I was in. 

My biggest disappointment with the card is my own mistake and that is the 2gb memory mistake I made. My second biggest disappointment with the card is, I upgraded from a GTX 660 ti not knowing all that much about the card but figuring 2 generations of upgrades should be enough to give a decent performance gain. Boy was I wrong.

My own disappointments aside, The gtx 960 barely performed over the 660 let alone the 760. Why was a card with such little value in the increase of the power output sold like this? 

I understand the power draw aspect of each card and how the 960 was much easier on power and heat than the previous generation but the overall power increase use mid range gamers really needed coming from the 660(ti)/760. 

To me it just seems like Nvidia was just grubbing money and I was one of those who didn't inform himself enough to avoid such a poor practice.

Idn, kinda looking for vilification but would be cool with a decent explanation of any sort. 

P.s Stress tested, benchmarked and verified to be running properly by EVGA. Even with Low CPU and GPU usage, even 2014 games have issues running things on high let alone ultra

Sounds like there is something wrong with your card, because I have upgrade from a 660, to a 760, then to a 960 4gb And I have a huge performance increase.

The geek himself.

If you got "grubbed" out of your money that is your fault for not doing enough research. It was a terrible buy for people with a 760

Card is running great according to EVGA who evaluated it. I've used all kinds of monitoring systems in different variations and although I am using an older i5-3470 clock at 4.0 single cor 3.8 quad, it doesn't seem to be the problem. Pagefaults are minimum as expected and the only game that's caused me that kind of issue is Rust. Idn I've been disappointed ever since my purchase. 

I feel in the obligation to point out I went from the GTX 560ti to the Titan X, huge jump, loved my 560ti all the GTA IV, Counter-strike, LoL, MirrorsEdge, Amnesia and a whole bunch of other games she managed to serve me good, I believe the 960 must be heck of card still by today, I will be honest playing at 1080p I still can not see the difference of Nvidia Hairworks on High in witcher three and yet my Titan X increases fps avarange in 20 with that thing on low so

Ultras is cool, I am having a fun time myself right now while I still can with mine, but in no way would it bother me going lower, you can safely jump 2 or three gens before the true need of buying a new card if you do enough research and know what to expect at the moment of your purchase.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Dawson, I sold the 660ti. I never got much of an increase from it. When I first got it, I didn't think much a difference between it and the 660ti for the games I was playing BF4 and 7days to die. 

What games were you running on the 660 vs 960?  Are you only playing games that are CPU bound vs. GPU bound?

Anyone with a 960 and willing to challenge me in a benchmark for a game or not, I am up for it. I want to know myself. 

1 minute ago, Antipathy17 said:

Anyone with a 960 and willing to challenge me in a benchmark for a game or not, I am up for it. I want to know myself. 

Deal

2 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Next time do your homework and look at benchmarks. I always look at benchmarks and compare it to what I have at that time. 

I purposely went over it being my mistake to avoid cluttering the chat with comments similar to this. 

Daniel Z. Any benchmark in particular you'd like to try and what about overclocking? If you want we can try that as well if they seem even. I usually have mine overclocked so I guess it'd be great to see if that's part of the issue although I thought I ruled that out. 

I'm sticking with my GTX 780 for a while longer yet, I was looking into a GTX 960 as I was told it will perform better than my current solution (Mmm OK) but to be honest I'm glad I didn't.

I can be contacted on skype by the same username if you'd like to make chat easier. 

1 minute ago, FJRiley said:

I'm sticking with my GTX 780 for a while longer yet, I was looking into a GTX 960 as I was told it will perform better than my current solution (Mmm OK) but to be honest I'm glad I didn't.

By a snake oil salesman? Myabe it would do better with heat but thats about it

2 minutes ago, Antipathy17 said:

Daniel Z. Any benchmark in particular you'd like to try and what about overclocking? If you want we can try that as well if they seem even. I usually have mine overclocked so I guess it'd be great to see if that's part of the issue although I thought I ruled that out. 

My 960 turbos to 1404 mhz

I can be contacted on skype by the same username if you'd like to make chat easier. 

Can you post the results!

By a snake oil salesman? Myabe it would do better with heat but thats about it

Must have been, I haven't looked into many benchmarks but no way the mighty Kepler would be undone by a GTX 960.

I made a video a while ago on stock and overclocked benchmarks of my old 960 2gb. Ran tests with an i5 4590, which is pretty similar to the 3470.

(please excuse the shit thumbnail and musical choice, but the results are there)

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Okay. I usually have mine clocked at 1479 with 200 boost to the mem as well @ +37mV (it chooses to use up to +37). I can get it to 1504 but I have to lower the mem over clock or the voltage doesn't seem steady. 

the card served my well for 2 years and i still love it tbh but i understand the value isnt that good but i now have a Titan X Pascal that shows how much i care about value :)

MAIN RIG:

GPU: Asus ROG Strix 2080Ti 

CPU: i7 9700K

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-F

Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3200MHZ

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100x RGB

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

SSD 2: SanDisk Ultra 2 240GB

Case: Coolermaster Masterbox 530P

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Monitor: Asus ROG PG278Q

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016

Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity

Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma

Speakers: Bose Companion 20

Btw This thread was more than I ever expected it to be. I might have to start coming here instead of tomshardware. 

21 minutes ago, Antipathy17 said:

21 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Deal

Downloading the userbenchmark as we speak. Lemme tell you my story while we wait.

I built this PC (my first ever) after months of saving and research. My biggest obstacle was (and still is) availability. I live outside the US and there are no good online stores nor local. So I built what I could with what I had and got what you can see below.

I started with Integrated Graphics because of money and also because I support the philosophy that it was an investment and I was going to upgrade. So months playing League and Not running AC: Unity until by a small miracle i found another enthusiast who was older and had a 960 laying around that I bought very cheap! 100 bucks. So obv my net gain was huge because of the ridiculous price but I was able to play Unity a horribly optimized game at never less than 59 (constant, dips were harsh) fps.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE