Newbie Windows Optimization/Tips/Tricks/Software

ICONchad

Long time Apple user finally jumping ship to a custom PC and Windows. What optimization/tips/tricks/useful software do you suggest to get windows 10 pro to run the best. Also suggested must have software (so far i'm going to add avast, malwarebytes, & camwebapp)

Thanks

you don't need a antivirus just use common sense and window defender, i suggest ublock origin and adblocker(whitelist your fav YouTubers) 

Dig around in the Settings App and Control Panel as well to look for things you'd like to tweak.

I'd advise against registry hacks (most of them just cut off excess fluff and not really offer a performance improvement per se) or services tweaking (mostly because this can create unforseen issues down the road).

14 hours ago, ICONchad said:

Long time Apple user finally jumping ship to a custom PC and Windows. What optimization/tips/tricks/useful software do you suggest to get windows 10 pro to run the best. Also suggested must have software (so far i'm going to add avast, malwarebytes, & camwebapp)

Thanks

Nothing per se, you are ready to go. Windows has a pretty good anti-virus built-in. With some safe web surfing practices, it is unlikely you will successfully infected, let alone infected (virus detected, but not executed to be "installed"). Of course, if you want better protection, then use an third party one, which may affect system functionality and/or performance, based on what you pick.

If this is a new build, once you check your temps to be fine under idle and load and is to you liking, you don't need to monitor temps and such, everything works fine. It is not really needed.

What you can do, to not have Windows start updating and doing its maintenance while you work/play, I suggest to setup the time schedule for those.

- Under the Settings panels: Start > Setting (gear icon) > Update & Security > Windows Update, you can set what is called "Active Hours", you define a zone where you don't want Windows Update kick-in the installation of updates.

- Under Security and Maintenance panel, you can set the schedule time for Windows maintenance process. Just search for Maintenance  in the search box, and pick "Security and Maintenance", a panel will open. In it, expand "Maintenance", and you'll notice a blue link inside called "Change maintenance settings". From there, you can pick a time where you want it to install. If you want, you can start it now as well, if you don't plan on doing anything intensive. The process is time consuming, especially for the first time. Takes many minutes.

If you want a Apple time machine like backup, you have File History you can setup. You can find its option to enable and setup under Start > Settings > Windows & Security > Backup.

Something to expect, slowly but surely, Microsoft is migrating all the multiple panels part of Control Panel, under the Setting panel. Just something to expect.

Already more panel were moved to the Settings panel with the coming up Creators Update, and more will follow with the update codename Redstone 3.