Quadro M5000 vs GTX 1080 - Advice/Information

ShadowWolf810

Recently I came across some really cheap Quadro cards on Craigslist, at that point my knowledge of those cards was essentially that they were workstation GPUs, so I started looking into them more. I haven't really been able to find any good resources/benchmarks that would give me the same knowledge of performance metrics that I have for GTX cards, i.e a 1080 vs 980 Ti etc. I'm hoping someone could help fill me in on the differences between K, P, and M series cards. 

Looking into it, I've found that an M5000 has the same amount of memory, lower memory bandwidth than a 1080, and fewer CUDA cores than a 1080 but is 3 times more expensive. And that Quadro is just the one that's comparable to my current card spec wise. The one I saw on Craigslist was a K5000 which appears to have significantly lower specs and leads me to believe that they'd be no point in buying one. 

I have a bunch of more complicated configuration questions, how they work etc. but before I ask all of those I should ask this first: 

As someone who uses Avid Media Composer (and occasionally Premiere), DaVinci Resolve for color correcting, and After Effects for VFX/intro animations, would I be able to tell the difference in performance between my 1080 and this K5000. Would things like real time scrubbing, render times, perhaps even livestreaming using the OpenGL rendering, would these all work significantly better? Can a GTX card and a Quadro card be run in the same system without having to constantly change drivers or unplug cables to monitors to go from gaming to editing? If I'm still completely missing the point, what specs can I compare between the two to get an idea about their performance? 

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Get a geoforce faster and cheaper.

Those program swon't benfit from a quadro

See thats what I've been hearing but they've got all kinds of marketing information and whatnot saying that all those programs can significantly benefit from one. Am I looking at the correct specs for comparison as far as Video production workloads go? I know they're mainly used for 3D CAD sort of applications

1 minute ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

See thats what I've been hearing but they've got all kinds of marketing information and whatnot saying that all those programs can significantly benefit from one. Am I looking at the correct specs for comparison as far as Video production workloads go? I know they're mainly used for 3D CAD sort of applications

marketing ≠≠≠≠≠≠ actual performance

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

2 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

Yeah I've watched that, am trying to understand what specs cause these difference, and learn more about the Quadro line up

1 minute ago, babadoctor said:

marketing ≠≠≠≠≠≠ actual performance

That's also very true, I've just heard from professional editors that they mainly invest in one for the real time scrubbing performance in the timeline even when you start having a  4K timeline with a ton of layers with effects, etc applied. 

2 minutes ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

That's also very true, I've just heard from professional editors that they mainly invest in one for the real time scrubbing performance in the timeline even when you start having a  4K timeline with a ton of layers with effects, etc applied. 

get the GeForce card its better  

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

get the GeForce card its better  

I actually already have a 1080, but I was contemplating getting a used Quadro to go along with it if it would mean vastly different performance numbers

They are lying. The only difference between the two is that one is for industrial grade applications such as extremely precise calculations, etc. while the other is a little bit less accurate. 

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/quadro-vs-geforce-for-video-editing.2434790/

1 minute ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

I actually already have a 1080, but I was contemplating getting a used Quadro to go along with it if it would mean vastly different performance numbers

nope simple answer 

You will get the same if not less numbers.

It sells for so expensive because it is a one of a kind on the market.

By extremely precise applications, I mean:

One pixel off and the new catheter you were trying to make killed your patient, because it was not exact.

This is an exaggeration, but still.

2 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

One pixel off and the new catheter you were trying to make killed your patient, because it was not exact.

Right, and I can understand the super high calculation needs of oil/gas, medical imaging, and design applications. The understanding I got from a friend was that the main advantage of Quadro series cards is their page flipping abilities (actually not sure what he means about that) and real time color space changes. 

6 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

This is an exaggeration, but still.

Well a quadro won't help with that

Normall precisie si the precision of floating point opperations, geforce cards have very heavily cutback fp64, while the quadros and tesla don't cut back the chip in that way.

They also have ecc on many models.

Right, and I can understand the super high calculation needs of oil/gas, medical imaging, and design applications. The understanding I got from a friend was that the main advantage of Quadro series cards is their page flipping abilities (actually not sure what he means about that) and real time color space changes. 

There features wont' help in video editiong.

Look here titan beets quadro's in peremie. https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-Professional-GPU-Acceleration-502/

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well a quadro won't help with that

Normall precisie si the precision of floating point opperations, geforce cards have very heavily cutback fp64, while the quadros and tesla don't cut back the chip in that way.

They also have ecc on many models.

OH IM SORRY

I misunderstood what me meant by "PERFORMS CALCULATIONS AND DRAWS IMAGES WITH MUCH GREATER PRECISION--"

L4AKcIE.png 

You're wrong.

1 minute ago, babadoctor said:

OH IM SORRY

I misunderstood what me meant by "PERFORMS CALCULATIONS AND DRAWS IMAGES WITH MUCH GREATER PRECISION--"

You're wrong.

Your getting precision and accuracy wrong. Quadros are more precise, but they arent' any more accurate.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your getting precision and accuracy wrong. Quadros are more precise, but they arent' any more accurate.

???????

Very few programs benefit from Quadros, save your money. One example of a program that would benefit from a Quadro would be something like LIDAR computation, or GPS based cartography programs that are effected directly by double precision floating points. Even then, the most effective way to render is with off-site cloud-based servers and not a personal computer or workstation.

1 hour ago, babadoctor said:

???????

"Precision" means how many decimal places you have on your numbers.  For example "3.515" has 3 places of precision past the decimal, while "3.514925" has 6 places of precision.

Normal floating point calculations have 32 places of precision (in binary), double-precision calculations have 64 places of precision. "Higher precision" doesn't mean "it makes fewer mistakes" or something like that. That's accuracy, not precision.

Either way it's not really the main feature of Quadros, double precision calculations are really only used for scientific computing, something normally done by Tesla cards (not to be confused with Tesla cars). Quadros aren't typically used for that application, and very few Quadros actually have enhanced double-precision floating point capabilities (on Kepler, only the K6000 did, and on Maxwell, none of the Quadros had this capability).

2 hours ago, ShadowWolf810 said:

The difference is in driver software, so the difference isn't going to be visible just from looking at specs. Quadro cards do perform significantly faster than spec-equivalent GeForce cards in certain situations, but this is very application and even workload-specific (see here), I've really only seen benefits in 3D modeling-type applications. I don't know that Quadros have any benefit in video editing or production.

4 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

The difference is in driver software, so the difference isn't going to be visible just from looking at specs. Quadro cards do perform significantly faster than spec-equivalent GeForce cards in certain situations, but this is very application and even workload-specific (see here), I've really only seen benefits in 3D modeling-type applications. I don't know that Quadros have any benefit in video editing or production.

Yeah its looking like there really aren't any benefits from that workload as opposed to a regular GTX card unless you're looking to spend as much money as possible. My friends understanding was that as far as typical use cases they're essentially the same as equivalent GTX cards. That they'll perform better working with directly with high resolution source files, especially if you're applying a LUT, (color space change) to all your clips. But that the real place where they shine is perfect real time scrubbing performance on the timeline. Perhaps its some feature of the different driver software. The way he described it was that they're consistently rendering a certain chunk of video on either side of the time indicator, no matter where you move it around, so that you're also getting the best playback/scrubbing performance as possible. It keeps all that data ready to go as opposed to having to reinterpret it on the fly.