Amazon ryzen pricing 1800X/1700X

TrigrH

Those prices seem far too steep imo. 

I don't want to pay > 300$ to upgrade.. I want to beable to pay how much I paid for my FX 6300 5 years ago.

If the AM4 motherboards are not < 50, then the jet.com i5 7600 is the steal with a cheap lg 1151 board? Can get the i5 7600 for only 196 from there.. which turbos up to 4.1ghz, which is enough..

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017

2 minutes ago, Crowes said:

How expensive is the Intel equivelant, exactly? Weighing up my options.

Well they're hundreds more... the 1800X is marketed as being a direct competitor to the 6900k, and in leaks so far it looks on par or ahead for roughly half the price.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well they're hundreds more... the 1800X is marketed as being a direct competitor to the 6900k, and in leaks so far it looks on par or ahead for roughly half the price.

As someone who basically payed £300~ for the transition to Intel, paying like £500 for the transition to AMD doesn't really seem like a fruitful endavour, even with the information I've seen so far.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

1 minute ago, Crowes said:

As someone who basically payed £300~ for the transition to Intel, paying like £500 for the transition to AMD doesn't really seem like a fruitful endavour, even with the information I've seen so far.

Well you don't have to switch :P  But for anyone upgrading or buying new, assuming the leaks on price and performance turn out to be true (which, really, we still cant' say for sure), it should be a no-brainer.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

how is that expensive?

it's not.

some people may see it as expensive because it is more than twice the price of the fx-8150 bulldozer flagship which AMD launched in 2011, or the piledriver follow up fx-8350 in 2012.

but the only reason AMD priced that way at the time is because they had no choice, given the performance. And as a result their margins were terrible since it was a large expensive die unlike ryzen.

if AMD had announced pricing like that again I would have been very worried.

31 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

it looks like the ipc of ryzen is lower than the 6900k. But by providing slightly higher stock clock speeds on the 1800x AMD is going to make up the difference and match the 6900k stock single threaded performance. At multithreaded performance ryzen will be good anyway I believe.

I think 6900k will still overclock better which is one of the reasons AMD priced lower.

1 minute ago, Humbug said:

it looks like the ipc of ryzen is lower than the 6900k. But by providing slightly higher stock clock speeds AMD is going to make up the difference and match the 6900k stock single threaded performance. At multithreaded performance ryzen will be good anyway I believe.

I think 6900k will still overclock better which is one of the reasons AMD priced lower.

Yeah so far the 1800X compares very favourably to the 6900k.  What worries me is their cheaper CPUs.  Being clocked so much lower than Intel, and with the lower IPC on top of that, I'm guessing AMD's quads will trail at roughly 85% of the Intel equivalent, when both are overclocked.  But, that is guessing and assuming a fair bit I suppose...

Another interesting thing to note: I saw someone post a little while ago that they had heard that AMD's multi-threading tech was going to be better than Intel's, and the recent leak of AMD's slides would seem to confirm that.  The slide showed the 1800X being exactly on par with the 6900k in singlethreaded tests, but 9% above in multi-threaded, and the only way that could happen is if their "hyperthreading" was better than Intel's

30 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah so far the 1800X compares very favourably to the 6900k.  What worries me is their cheaper CPUs.  Being clocked so much lower than Intel, and with the lower IPC on top of that, I'm guessing AMD's quads will trail at roughly 85% of the Intel equivalent, when both are overclocked.  But, that is guessing and assuming a fair bit I suppose...

Another interesting thing to note: I saw someone post a little while ago that they had heard that AMD's multi-threading tech was going to be better than Intel's, and the recent leak of AMD's slides would seem to confirm that.  The slide showed the 1800X being exactly on par with the 6900k in singlethreaded tests, but 9% above in multi-threaded, and the only way that could happen is if their "hyperthreading" was better than Intel's

I heard this too. That threadripper was superior to hyperthreading.

I believe that 7700k will remain the best gaming CPU due to it's high clocks.

I think Ryzen will do well in two areas

-high end workstation CPUs like 1700x and 1800x for people video editing and other intense parallel workloads

-budget performance gaming builds. The ryzen r3 is going to give us 4 real cores with overclocking. This will make the intel i3 irrelevant for gamers by providing almost i5 level performance. you can easily pair this with a gtx 1060 or rx480, maybe even a bit more and still have a balanced build.

inbetween those two price brackets intel's unlocked k i5 and i7 CPUs will still be recommended to high end gamers.

4 minutes ago, Humbug said:

I believe that 7700k will remain the best gaming CPU due to it's high clocks.

I think Ryzen will do well in two areas

-high end workstation CPUs like 1700x and 1800x for people video editing and intense workloads

-budget performance gaming builds. The ryzen r5 is going to give us 4 real cores with overclocking. This will make the intel i3 irrelevant for gamers by providing almost i5 level performance.

Yeah, I think so too.  Especially that thing about the i3s.  If Ryzen is any good, anything less than a quad core is finally dead :P 

4 minutes ago, Humbug said:

inbetween those two price brackets intel's unlocked k i5 and i7 CPUs will still be recommended to high end gamers.

But will they though?  Even if Ryzen can't quite match Intel, they'll still be as good or better than a slightly less overclocked, slightly older model i5/i7, and more than enough for even high end gaming, and yet, they'll be priced much cheaper.  I think the price advantage could make it impossible to ignore, and enough to overlook the modest performance shortcoming.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

But will they though?  Even if Ryzen can't quite match Intel, they'll still be as good or better than a slightly less overclocked, slightly older model i5/i7, and more than enough for even high end gaming, and yet, they'll be priced much cheaper.  I think the price advantage could make it impossible to ignore, and enough to overlook the modest performance shortcoming.

yes. They will sell at least decently to enthusiast gamers who follow tech news because there are a lot of people in that community who want to see AMD doing well. The performance gap even in single threaded apps will not be big like it was in the past few years so many people will overlook that and go with AMD. Also I believe AMD is planning ryzen+ 7nm CPUs to launch in 2019 and compatible with the same AM4 motherboards via a bios update. They should push that message and get people to invest in their platform for upgradability, whereas intel will change sockets.

however there is a large percentage of PC gamers who do not stay up to date on tech, they do not read forums. But they play many games. They are the silent majority. This group buys intel + NVidia without too much research because brand names like i5, i7 and geforce gtx have more mind share.

2 minutes ago, Humbug said:

*snip*

I think you misread my post a bit :P  You said you thought the Intel i5s and i7s would still sell well, despite Ryzen, and I questioned that, but then you basically repeated what I was saying, saying Ryzen would do well in that segment :P 

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think you misread my post a bit :P  You said you thought the Intel i5s and i7s would still sell well, despite Ryzen, and I questioned that, but then you basically repeated what I was saying, saying Ryzen would do well in that segment :P 

ryzen will do well by AMD standards. It will make them profitable, carry the company forward, sell a lot more than they have in the last few years.

it will not do well by intel's standards. I.e. Intel will still easily sell more CPUs. Their brand name and channel partnerships are too strong.

1 minute ago, Humbug said:

ryzen will do well by AMD standards. It will make them profitable, carry the company forward, sell a lot more than they have in the last few years.

it will not do well by intel's standards. I.e. Intel will still easily sell more CPUs. Their brand name and channel partnerships are too strong.

Perhaps.  And really, I am torn... on the one hand, I think there's a decent number of people that will keep recommending Intel for gaming due to the better single threaded on the 4 cores that matter.  On the other hand though, if Ryzen can get close at a massively lower price... well, that's just going to be impossible to pass up for many.

Let's just say Amazon has had them stocked up for quite a while now, alongside a handful of German distributors.

Let's also just say they kinda took some "precaution" and have not sent us pricing or quantity. Or specs for that matter (which, most of us here being major nerds, is a huge bummer)

I can neither confirm or deny the previous statements, nor am I going to say which company I work for. Just sayin' some of the dataz might be right. Allegedly.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 hour ago, revsilverspine said:

Let's just say Amazon has had them stocked up for quite a while now, alongside a handful of German distributors.

Let's also just say they kinda took some "precaution" and have not sent us pricing or quantity. Or specs for that matter (which, most of us here being major nerds, is a huge bummer)

I can neither confirm or deny the previous statements, nor am I going to say which company I work for. Just sayin' some of the dataz might be right. Allegedly.

Did you run that post past your lawyer to make sure that it doesn't breach an NDA? :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

3 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Did you run that post past your lawyer to make sure that it doesn't breach an NDA? :)

Maybe. Maybe it was just common sense and my desire to still have a job

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

8 hours ago, Orangeator said:

I REALLY hope that whatever MSRP AMD announces, that is what we the consumers can buy it for. I will not pay the inflated hype fee. It also better not go out of stock within a day and then make everyone wait a month to purchase one because everyone on eBay are selling them for 2X the price. <-- The inflated hype fee.

I hope AMD realizes the amount of hype behind this and have enough stock... Like I sincerely hope that.

not going to happen retailers gonna gauge the fuck outa them

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

4 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

not going to happen retailers gonna gauge the fuck outa them

This.

Expect at least 10% all the way up to 25% increase over MSRP, depending on country/retailer/distributor

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

1 minute ago, revsilverspine said:

This.

Expect at least 10% all the way up to 25% increase over MSRP, depending on country/retailer/distributor

i plane to upgrade but from my calculatiions its going to cost ME  £500+ due to having to change cpu,motherboad,and ram, althugh i do pick motherboards based on looks predominatley *cough* x99 rampage 10 edtion *cough* lol, id pay up to the GBP cost of a i7-6850k (£511)($597) ETC

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

28 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

i plane to upgrade but from my calculatiions its going to cost ME  £500+ due to having to change cpu,motherboad,and ram, althugh i do pick motherboards based on looks predominatley *cough* x99 rampage 10 edtion *cough* lol, id pay up to the GBP cost of a i7-6850k (£511)($597) ETC

IF, and only IF my personal projections pan out (and they usually do), it would cost me roughly 600 EUR for mobo/cpu/ram. Theoretically I can buy the ram at any point between now and whenever I decide to upgrade, so I'm looking out for promo prices at my usual retailers. Hopefully I can keep my H80 (confirmation needed) and my 500W PSU (which should be just fine considering the power requirements for Ryzen). If Ryzen does turn out to be a flop (and I hope it doesn't), I can still go Intel with little to no price difference (hopefully)

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

44 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

IF, and only IF my personal projections pan out (and they usually do), it would cost me roughly 600 EUR for mobo/cpu/ram. Theoretically I can buy the ram at any point between now and whenever I decide to upgrade, so I'm looking out for promo prices at my usual retailers. Hopefully I can keep my H80 (confirmation needed) and my 500W PSU (which should be just fine considering the power requirements for Ryzen). If Ryzen does turn out to be a flop (and I hope it doesn't), I can still go Intel with little to no price difference (hopefully)

same , my calculations are worst case , and based on a x99 system tho. although i dont know how much a decent X370 mobo will cost

7 hours ago, Humbug said:

I don't think so. B-E doesn't clock high at all.

14 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's likely I'm just mis-remembering ... never mind me :P 

I made the same mistake but yeah the 1800 SKU was not "leaked" back then so the price seems to be accurate considering that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Seems pretty clear now that Ryzen 7 is gonna take out Intel's high end LGA 2011 platform.

How it will be received by gamers considering LGA 1151 will be interesting.