Orange Light on the Super Hub 2?

Jordyboy3

I know my gear isn't high end or anything special but I am really faced with a problem. I have a virgin media super hub 2 and a cat 5e cable connecting to a net gear gs308 switch witch then connects to an Xbox one an ps4 and my pc however the cable connecting to the switch is shown as orange on the super hub 2. I do realise that this means I'm only at 100mbps and I purposely bought the net gear switch so I could work with gigabit speeds is the 5e cable bottle necking my speeds as far as I'm aware 5e could run gigabit speeds.    

have you tried different ports? sometimes cheap carrier routers can have some ports as 10/100 and others as 10/100/1000

idk

yep sorry I forgot to mention that I tried using all the ports and I have another Xbox one connected directly too the switch in the super hub witch shows up as green.

It's just the cable between your router and the switch right?

Unless you have an internet connection faster than 100mpbs it's not bottlenecking anything? After all the connection between your PC, Xbox, PS4, and anything else connected to the switch is still a gigabit connection I think.

Does you mum know you're here?

The port on the router is a gigabit my switch is a gigabit and all of the connections are cat 5e so yes my internet connection is faster than 100 megabit and my internet speed on the pc is especially slow.

33 minutes ago, Jordyboy3 said:

The port on the router is a gigabit my switch is a gigabit and all of the connections are cat 5e so yes my internet connection is faster than 100 megabit and my internet speed on the pc is especially slow.

What might be happening and you can test easily by connecting the Hub > Switch > PC with nothing else connected. and seeing if you get 25MB/s on a speed test assuming based on your comment and modem that you have vivid 200 from VirginMedia )

Next connect the Xbox (which doesnt have gigabit lan and power it up connect to xboxlive or whatever) and if the speedtest on the PC drops down to 12.5MB/s then your issue is the xbox causing the link speed between the superhub and your switch to drop to 10/100 which would indicate that even though your switch is likley 10/100/1000 to your pc, it's only able to communicate with the superhub at 10/100 speeds...

The solution at this point would be to plug the xbox in elsewhere ^^ or burn it in a fire and use the PS4 for kindling.

58 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

have you tried different ports? sometimes cheap carrier routers can have some ports as 10/100 and others as 10/100/1000

The SuperHub 2 is 10/100/1000 on all four ports with coax input.

oohhhh thank you ill test that now and let you know what happens

2 minutes ago, Jordyboy3 said:

that was it mate ill get the fire warm thanks!!!

Pic's or it didn't happen ^_^!

I had a similar problem with a printer in the back bedroom, ended up plugging the printer into a portable router (tplink 702n) and connecting that to the network via wifibridge mode just so I didn't slow down the internet to everything else on that switch by having it plugged in.

76.61Mbps is < 100Mbps :P

I was expecting to see something like > 6072445807.png (I hate VM's upload speeds, but the download is better than anything else in this area).

Orange is 100M Full Duplex negotiation, I would start with checking the cable then checking the switch config to verify the port you are connected to is set to 'auto negotiation' or '1000M Full Duplex'.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

hmmm I just saw an improvement and didn't really think about that woops I just double checked and it is actually still orange how would I go about configuring the switch as I have used two different cables also I have tried putting them directly into the pc not using my switch which actually was still 100mbps so idk what else to say any more suggestions?