[US][Newegg] XFX RX 480 8GB XXX OC (Reference) for 179.99$ after MIR + DOOM [Free Gift]

Morgan MLGman

As the title states, 8GB RX 480 for 180$ and a free copy of DOOM?

A great deal imho, even with the card being a reference design, seems like its value for money is insane:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150770&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Why are all the good deals after I bought my RX 470 for $174.99? :(

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

And I'm still broke. I really, really don't like my horrendous example of a GTX 970 (that and Skyrim SE with mods requires a bit more grunt+more than 4GB of non-throttled vRAM)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

It used to be for a while that the cheapest RX 470 in Australia (4GB Sapphire Nitro) cost the same as the cheapest RX 480 (also a Sapphire Nitro).

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

And I'm still broke. I really, really don't like my horrendous example of a GTX 970 (that and Skyrim SE with mods requires a bit more grunt+more than 4GB of non-throttled vRAM)

What's 3.5GB + 512MB of system memory? 

Uhh, 4GB?

Welcome to Nvidia!

That's a good price on a 480 but the stock cooler is horrendous. Still a good price. Waiting for it to show up on PCPP.. 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

Uhh, 4GB?

Welcome to Nvidia!

That's a good price on a 480 but the stock cooler is horrendous. Still a good price. Waiting for it to show up on PCPP.. 

I worded it poorly-I was talking about the memory bus on the GTX 970 throttling the vRAM-its rather pathetic even when compression works as it should.

PMSL

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

That's not bad... You know, I paid for my R9 Fury less than it's for a GTX 1060 6GB in Poland and it still cost me a bit over 350$... And it was an insanely good deal. A good GTX 1070 costs 540$ here... Those prices are retarded, but welcome to my reality :|

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Uhh, 4GB?

Welcome to Nvidia!

It is on PCPP :) That's how I found it.

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

You'd really feel an improvement if you switched to a 480 8GB, it's around the same jump as from a 290X to a Fury and it's more than noticeable... Especially that your GTX 970 is really crappy (sorry) :/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I worded it poorly-I was talking about the memory bus on the GTX 970 throttling the vRAM-its rather pathetic even when compression works as it should.

Oh, that. Never really worried about that. If you're worried about the VRAM bus throttling the card get yourself a Fury matey. 

Switching Newegg to AUD a Fury shipped from the US is $376 to 2000. 

idk

5 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Oh, that. Never really worried about that. If you're worried about the VRAM bus throttling the card get yourself a Fury matey. 

Well, I have no VRAM issues with the Fury at 1200p (around 11% higher resolution than regular 1080p in 16:10 aspect ratio) and even if games claim to allocate around 5-6GB there is no noticeable stuttering or FPS drops so he'd be fine with that card for quite a long time :3

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

You'd really feel an improvement if you switched to a 480 8GB, it's around the same jump as from a 290X to a Fury and it's more than noticeable... Especially that your GTX 970 is really crappy (sorry) :/

Lets just say that its already partially died then recovered (its now limited to PCIe x8 in any motherboard+consumes far more power than a GTX 970 has any right to-I won't be buying a mid to high end card from Gigabyte again). And at any rate, it would give me an excuse to switch it with my (No1 favourite) GTX 650ti OC 2GB which my friend has installed in the rig I donated to him.

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

The RX 480 has an extra 4GB of vRAM over the Fury though. And I thought it had a 512bit bus, not another poor 256bit bus. Might as well get an R9 390X at this rate-unless AMD comes up with something with a better bus at the same price point.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Lets just say that its already partially died then recovered (its now limited to PCIe x8 in any motherboard+consumes far more power than a GTX 970 has any right to-I won't be buying a mid to high end card from Gigabyte again). And at any rate, it would give me an excuse to switch it with my (No1 favourite) GTX 650ti OC 2GB which my friend has installed in the rig I donated to him.

The RX 480 has an extra 4GB of vRAM over the Fury though. And I thought it had a 512bit bus, not another poor 256bit bus. Might as well get an R9 390X at this rate-unless AMD comes up with something with a better bus at the same price point.

I don't think you're gonna see anything with a good bus till VEGA. 

390s are good on the used market though, of which we still have a very small market. 

idk

28 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Yeah, it has 4GB more than the Fury but unless you're playing on 4K it shouldn't be an issue as it's sufficient even for 1440p, the 4GB of HBM really acts as around 5-5,5GB of VRAM, I haven't seen performance drops unless you exceed 6GB, then it's just like on any other card when you run out of VRAM... A stutterfest. But if the game allocates up to 6GB then you're fine on the Fury, which is really nice. I tested in a few games such as ROTTR, Shadow of Mordor and CoD:BO3. And if you jumped up to 1440p then nothing gets close to Fury's $/FPS...

RE7 which is very VRAM-hungry, has a setting called Shadow Cache which uses the VRAM to store some data, I assume it's caching shadows (kappa :P ), it improves performance on some cards, particularly AMD ones.

Guru3D disabled that setting for cards that have 4GB or less of VRAM and enabled it for cards with more than 4GB, these are the results:

I4QYGGs.png

13 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Yeah, it has 4GB more than the Fury but unless you're playing on 4K it shouldn't be an issue as it's sufficient even for 1440p, the 4GB of HBM really acts as around 5-5,5GB of VRAM, I haven't seen performance drops unless you exceed 6GB, then it's just like on any other card when you run out of VRAM... A stutterfest. But if the game allocates up to 6GB then you're fine on the Fury, which is really nice. I tested in a few games such as ROTTR, Shadow of Mordor and CoD:BO3. And if you jumped up to 1440p then nothing gets close to Fury's $/FPS...

RE7 which is very VRAM-hungry, has a setting called Shadow Cache which uses the VRAM to store some data, I assume it's caching shadows (kappa :P ), it improves performance on some cards, particularly AMD ones.

Guru3D disabled that setting for cards that have 4GB or less of VRAM and enabled it for cards with more than 4GB, these are the results:

I4QYGGs.png

Which ever way you look at it-in that scenario my GTX 970 would be getting rekt by the 390X anyway. And looking at the 4K results-Crossfire R9 390X would be kind of godlike-even the FuryX got edged out.

PMSL

Which ever way you look at it-in that scenario my GTX 970 would be getting rekt by the 390X anyway.

Yep, to be fair I'd still pick a 390X over an RX 480 atm. It's just a much beefier chip, although an old one, the memory bus is 512 bit and it's not memory-bottlenecked at all, if you happen to find a good deal for it, remember about the PSU.

It can run off a 500-550W one but get at least a decent 650W one, I'm talking from experience that even if the wattage would be enough, the PSU just would be loud as the fan would be spinning very fast.

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

Yep, to be fair I'd still pick a 390X over an RX 480 atm. It's just a much beefier chip, although an old one, the memory bus is 512 bit and it's not memory-bottlenecked at all, if you happen to find a good deal for it, remember about the PSU.

It can run off a 500-550W one but get at least a decent 650W one, I'm talking from experience that even if the wattage would be enough, the PSU just would be loud as the fan would be spinning very fast.

I've got a Corsair CX850m. And since it has handled in the past (early days for my GTX 970-when it was good) a:

• Xeon X5450 @ 4.4GHz (well over 150W)
  • GTX 970 G1 Gaming with a 160MHz OC (nearing its 290W limit)
  • GTX 650ti OC 2GB with a 120MHz OC (still got no idea, but it was well over 75W)

All while folding at home was being run-power consumption doesn't matter.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I've got a Corsair CX850m. And since it has handled in the past (early days for my GTX 970-when it was good) a:

• Xeon X5450 @ 4.4GHz (well over 150W)
  • GTX 970 G1 Gaming with a 160MHz OC (nearing its 290W limit)
  • GTX 650ti OC 2GB with a 120MHz OC (still got no idea, but it was well over 75W)

All while folding at home was being run-power consumption doesn't matter.

Should be fine then :) The total power consumption of a 390X-based rig should be a tiny bit under 500W as well.

39 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

snip!

as i already pointed out in the past...this chart makes absolutely no sense what so ever from my experience playing through that amazing game on maximum settings...here is how it runs with the settings maxed out on a 1440mhz GTX 980ti this is much closer to the experience i got...100-115FPS+ consistently at 2560x1440

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

as i already pointed out in the past...this chart makes absolutely no sense what so ever from my experience playing through that amazing game on maximum settings...here is how it runs with the settings maxed out on a 1440mhz GTX 980ti this is much closer to the experience i got...100-115FPS+ consistently at 2560x1440

Seems like the FPS averages at around 100 in the video, that's 25 over what's in the chart, it doesn't seem like the 1440MHz overclock on the 980Ti in the video is enough to justify 25 FPS even over a reference card :S Maybe the settings are tweaked differently or they maxed out AA or something (talking about the chart here)?

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

because karma 

35 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

I'm still pissed that I saw a working GTX 980ti in store for $500 AU (my 970 cost over $550) and couldn't afford it. Its hard to shift old hardware with its very niche market.

PMSL

11 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

because karma 

Karma for what? What did I do? Do you even know what karma means?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Karma for what? What did I do? Do you even know what karma means?

You must have done something mate. 

Just a heads up as an owner of an RX 480

You don't only get DOOM

Other games included: Civ 6, Hitman, Total Warhammer (that's what I remember so far) and some other games.

But you get tho choose one