Intel Stock Cooler Broken

redscape

Hey Guys!

I have an old desktop which my dad used to do programming in. He bought it from another guy. Mini ITX Touchmate PC. Specs:

Intel Pentium G2020

2GB Ram

No Graphics Card (Only Intergated)

320GB Hard Drive

Recently, it started to overheat. When I opened it up to clean it, i noticed the Intel Stock Cooler was moving around a little. When I removed the mobo and checked, two pins were broken. The remaining two pins managed to hold it in place along with the adhesiveness of the thermal paste. Since I am doing a complete clean up of the pc, I removed the CPU, Thermal paste and cooler and have to reapply thermal paste. Is the thermal paste and two remaining pins on the cooler enough to hold it? Or should I buy a new one?

Aditya K. Arun / redscape photo and video.

Photography, Tech enthusiast.

500px.com/redscape_

Instagram: redscape_

Go to a local PC shop. Pick one up for a couple bucks. You don't have to apply thermal paste, which is a plus. Just get one with the copper slug (aka not Skylake ones) and you'll be fine.

idk

or just get a hyper 212 evo, dosnet cost that much more and cools better at lower soundlevels :P

Main Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 6800k @ 4.2- 4.3 ghz 1.390V CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT Motherboard:  Asus x99-E LGA 2011-3 RAM: 32GB DDR4 4 x 8 GB Hyperx Fyru 2133 Mhz Storage: Intel 535 240 GB SSD, Intel 530 240 GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2.0 TG SSHD  GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual OC cooled by an NZXT G10 & Intel TS13X running @ 1904/2126mhz and 4475mhz Memory+Stock Asus GTX 1070 Dual OC Case: INWin GR One Power Supply: Corsair HX850i Monitor: Hitach 49" 4k lowms TV and a 24 AOC 1080p Monitor Keyboard:  Corasir Vengance K90 & Logitech G13 Speedpad Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO/G602 on an Icemat 2.0 w/glides :P Speakers: LG LAS455H(D8) Soundbar & Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Edition Headphones

NAS/CS:GO Server

CPU: AMD FX8320 Stock Cooler: Corsair H100i M otherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990 REV 2.0 RAM: 4x4 GB Corsair Vengance Storage: 2 x Kingston Hyperx 120 GB SSD & 4 X Seagate 2 TB SSHD
GPU: random nvidia 512 mb card PSU: Coolermaster B500 Case: NZXT Phantom S240 Addons: NZXT LXE Fancontrol Intel quad gigabit eterhernet card.

5 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Just get one with the copper slug (aka not Skylake ones) and you'll be fine.

i dont think the copper slug will matter a lot on a 55w tdp chip.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i dont think the copper slug will matter a lot on a 55w tdp chip.

Eh, keeps it cooler and makes it not spin up the fan as much

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Eh, keeps it cooler and makes it not spin up the fan as much

if upgrading the cooler he should rahter go for a good aftermarket one :P

Main Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 6800k @ 4.2- 4.3 ghz 1.390V CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT Motherboard:  Asus x99-E LGA 2011-3 RAM: 32GB DDR4 4 x 8 GB Hyperx Fyru 2133 Mhz Storage: Intel 535 240 GB SSD, Intel 530 240 GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2.0 TG SSHD  GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual OC cooled by an NZXT G10 & Intel TS13X running @ 1904/2126mhz and 4475mhz Memory+Stock Asus GTX 1070 Dual OC Case: INWin GR One Power Supply: Corsair HX850i Monitor: Hitach 49" 4k lowms TV and a 24 AOC 1080p Monitor Keyboard:  Corasir Vengance K90 & Logitech G13 Speedpad Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO/G602 on an Icemat 2.0 w/glides :P Speakers: LG LAS455H(D8) Soundbar & Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Edition Headphones

CPU: AMD FX8320 Stock Cooler: Corsair H100i M otherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990 REV 2.0 RAM: 4x4 GB Corsair Vengance Storage: 2 x Kingston Hyperx 120 GB SSD & 4 X Seagate 2 TB SSHD
GPU: random nvidia 512 mb card PSU: Coolermaster B500 Case: NZXT Phantom S240 Addons: NZXT LXE Fancontrol Intel quad gigabit eterhernet card.

2 minutes ago, Mrchooow said:

have you seen the specs of that thing? i'd rather say its a replacement so it doesnt fall apart.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

have you seen the specs of that thing? i'd rather say its a replacement so it doesnt fall apart.

That i didnt do, but if he is going to upgrade he might aswell get a good aftermarket one.

If he should upgrade is a another question, but yeah that chip doesnt need that much cooling :P

Main Rig:

1 minute ago, Mrchooow said:

That i didnt do, but if he is going to upgrade he might aswell get a good aftermarket one.

If he should upgrade is a another question, but yeah that chip doesnt need that much cooling :P

well, the reason he's asking is because the one that's on there is appareantly broken...

3 minutes ago, Mrchooow said:

Stock coolers are everywhere

Literally - if the place builds machines for customers, most of the time they go with aftermarket

My local PC shop has Intel stock coolers by the bucketload, like 50 of them in a box and they're $3 a piece

idk

Okay, going to get another stock one, its pretty cheap. But, just wanted to ask something. I saw this video on YouTube in which the same thing happened to another guy, he just but it pack with the two working pins and the temps seemed fine......

Aditya K. Arun / redscape photo and video.

Photography, Tech enthusiast.

500px.com/redscape_

Instagram: redscape_

37 minutes ago, Red____14 said:

Okay, going to get another stock one, its pretty cheap. But, just wanted to ask something. I saw this video on YouTube in which the same thing happened to another guy, he just but it pack with the two working pins and the temps seemed fine......

For short use perhaps. I've installed stock cooler with 1 pin loose. That went to 60C while in BIOS. I'd recommend just getting another stock, or some supercheap aftermarket which fits the case.

2 hours ago, Mrchooow said:

or just get a hyper 212 evo, dosnet cost that much more and cools better at lower soundlevels :P

Evo is probably too big for mITX system...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv