Disney finally nails free-roaming wireless power delivery

captain_to_fire
9 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Not really because I can live without having my phone in my hand 24/7, and I don't care about having to put it on a charging puck.

Let's just check off the things I use on LAN:
PC
Laptop
Console

And half the time my phone is tethered to my laptop... Try again, perhaps?

Suit yourself; to each his own. Good luck being stuck in the stone age.

I suppose that if you'd get a PS4 you'd use the controller wired all the time?

I do, however, completely disagree with you on how you view going from wired to wireless as becoming lazier.

3 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It's funny that you use the word efficiency, since that's precisely what you fail to understand.

The amount of engineering behind this still useless charging room is astonishing. That in itself is fine, more research and investment could lead to newer versions cutting down on drawbacks. Now, that's all on the cost side.

On the benefit side? We have things that may or may not need charging automatically charging instead of spending the nano-jule it takes to lay them in a charger and spend a little time more than 2 meters away from said device.

The cost-benefit relationship is so out of proportion that this is, precisely, terribly inefficient... unless, of course, we derive a tremendous utility from that saved split second of putting the device here or there. Which, of course, we may: but at that point, it's perfectly fine for some to regard us as lazy, since such a strong preference for saving a minuscule effort could be reasonably be labeled laziness.

No, it is not a binary discussion between progress vs. backwardness. Efficiency is about the spectre that goes from inventing the wheel, through inventing the automobile, to having a Wall-E type of chair to move inside your house.

Yes, I fail to understand how using a chainsaw instead of an axe is inefficient.

I'm not talking about how efficient or inefficient this "useless charging room" is. I'm talking about how technology in general is invented to make our lives easier, to make doing something more efficient.

You fail to understand that this (a repeat of what I already posted) is only a concept - proof that it can be done one way or another. This is not an end product.

Maybe in the future, we'll have a device in the shape of a walk-thru metal detector situated in front of your office building that charges your phone instantly when you walk through it - so you won't have to wait for your phone to finish charging before going out for lunch.

I don't see how that is being lazy.

I don't see how you people abhor technological progress like that.

I do, however, do not condone the Wall-E type chair - that one promotes laziness and fatness.

20 minutes ago, Wix said:

Yes, I fail to understand how using a chainsaw instead of an axe is inefficient.

No, what you fail to understand (what you are unwilling to understand) is how replacing an axe with a chainsaw is different from replacing leaving a phone on a table with not leaving a phone on a table. 

What you conjecture about me from absolute ignorance doesn't concern me, nor does it add to the topic. 

People won't stand in EM from a circuit but will grill their skin in X-Rays and other radiation from the sun. SMH

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

18 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

No, what you fail to understand (what you are unwilling to understand) is how replacing an axe with a chainsaw is different from replacing leaving a phone on a table with not leaving a phone on a table. 

What you conjecture about me from absolute ignorance doesn't concern me, nor does it add to the topic. 

Oh, the irony. Please review your own post before YOU draw conjectures about me.

Again, I'm not comparing those two directly. I'm portraying how technological inventions pave the way for efficiency.

People like you are outright condemning inventions like these because they are "inefficient" or "dangerous". But you said it yourself: it's a (i think you meant) spectrum - this is still a work in progress; like going from the wheel to the automobile. (A better analogy would be: going from a hand-carved wooden wheel to a factory-machined steel one.)

22 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

That's how people think years ago. 

No more things like this.

charging_phone.png

I actually like charging bases for the car and office since moving around is important and pick up and go is more appropriate. Docks are just crap excuses for convenience especially when paired with a water-resistant case like a Griffin or Otterbox.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

10 hours ago, Wix said:

People like you are outright condemning inventions like these because they are "inefficient" or "dangerous". But you said it yourself: it's a (i think you meant) spectrum - this is still a work in progress; like going from the wheel to the automobile. (A better analogy would be: going from a hand-carved wooden wheel to a factory-machined steel one.)

It kinda sucks that there are members in a tech oriented forum who will dismiss innovations like this.

9 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I actually like charging bases for the car and office since moving around is important and pick up and go is more appropriate. Docks are just crap excuses for convenience especially when paired with a water-resistant case like a Griffin or Otterbox.

Wireless charging currently never excited me until this. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 2/21/2017 at 4:45 AM, stconquest said:

Wasn't the wireless transmission of electricity being worked on by Tesla back in the 1920s?

The core idea is not that complicated, the problem is making it reasonably efficient and comfortable.

Tesla also invented light speed travel, a machine that resurrects the dead and a cure for cancer. All of this was sadly lost in a fire, but we KNOW it's true!

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 2/21/2017 at 6:05 AM, AresKrieger said:

In 2011, the International Agency for Research on CancerExit Disclaimer (IARC), a component of the World Health Organization, appointed an expert Working Group to review all available evidence on the use of cell phones. The Working Group classified cell phone use as “possibly carcinogenic to humans,” based on limited evidence from human studies, limited evidence from studies of radiofrequency energy and cancer in rodents, and inconsistent evidence from mechanistic studies (5).

In short rodent studies concluded this, human ones have not but I can confirm brain cancer rates have go up possibly coincidently with cellphone use

Oh, that's really nice of you to cut off what you wanted to show!

In 2011, the International Agency for Research on CancerExit Disclaimer (IARC), a component of the World Health Organization, appointed an expert Working Group to review all available evidence on the use of cell phones. The Working Group classified cell phone use as “possibly carcinogenic to humans,” based on limited evidence from human studies, limited evidence from studies of radiofrequency energy and cancer in rodents, and inconsistent evidence from mechanistic studies (5).

The Working Group indicated that, although the human studies were susceptible to bias, the findings could not be dismissed as reflecting bias alone, and that a causal interpretation could not be excluded. The Working Group noted that any interpretation of the evidence should also consider that the observed associations could reflect chance, bias, or confounding rather than an underlying causal effect. In addition, the Working Group stated that the investigation of risk of cancer of the brain associated with cell phone use poses complex methodologic challenges in the conduct of the research and in the analysis and interpretation of findings.

The American Cancer SocietyExit Disclaimer (ACS) states that the IARC classification means that there could be some cancer risk associated with radiofrequency energy, but the evidence is not strong enough to be considered causal and needs to be investigated further. Individuals who are concerned about radiofrequency energy exposure can limit their exposure, including using an ear piece and limiting cell phone use, particularly among children.

The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) states that the weight of the current scientific evidence has not conclusively linked cell phone use with any adverse health problems, but more research is needed.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) notes that studies reporting biological changes associated with radiofrequency energy have failed to be replicated and that the majority of human epidemiologic studies have failed to show a relationship between exposure to radiofrequency energy from cell phones and health problems.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that no scientific evidence definitively answers whether cell phone use causes cancer.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) concludes that no scientific evidence establishes a causal link between wireless device use and cancer or other illnesses.

In 2015 the European Commission Scientific Committee on Emerging and Newly Identified Health Risks concluded that, overall, the epidemiologic studies on cell phone radiofrequency electromagnetic radiationexposure do not show an increased risk of brain tumors or of other cancers of the head and neck region (1). The Committee also stated that epidemiologic studies do not indicate increased risk for other malignant diseases, including childhood cancer (1).

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet#q6

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

So I didn't even realize "Disney Research" was a thing. I knew they had an R&D team obviously but this is not what I expected. They are publishing peer-reviewed articles on new technologies, not just creating new rides or toys. "Electromagnetic Time Reversal Focusing of Near Field Waves in Metamaterials" is another example of research completed by these guys.

My jaw dropped and then tunneled through to china.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

On 2/21/2017 at 0:02 AM, tmcclelland455 said:

This is terrifyingly cool. But I don't like it. Is it really that bad that people are too retarded/lazy to put their phone on a little wireless charging base?

you are think too small here this is a stepping stone imagine if you don't have to plug anything in your pc your monitor nothing they all have a central distributor. no need for outlets anymore. idk about you but i'm hyped af about this

Nicola Tesla wanted to make the entire earth have wireless energy. Use the earth as a semi conductor to get power by simply sticking a rod in the ground. And that was a good while ago. I just hope it is safe for everyone.

Especially if one is pregnant

1 hour ago, | Rembo | said:

you are think too small here this is a stepping stone imagine if you don't have to plug anything in your pc your monitor nothing they all have a central distributor. no need for outlets anymore. idk about you but i'm hyped af about this

I'm still not seeing the point in this. Unless you move houses or rooms every single day, there is no point in having a totally wireless desktop.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)