SLI

So... I built my computer around the black friday sales week. My current build is:

Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 

RAM - 16GB

Storage -  512GB SSD, planning on getting an additional 1TB HDD

PSU - EVGA SUPERNOVA 650w

Processor - i7 6700k

CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 Evo

and unfortunatly, I'm running on a 1080p monitor but whenever I complete this transaction, I'm planning on going 1440p or 4k.

And back to the subject... whether or not I should go SLI.

Put simply, my current predicament is thus, I already have a single GTX 1070, and therefore it would be cheaper for me to purchace another 1070 and run it in SLI, compared to getting a 1080. This does not factor in selling the GPU, as I have no idea where I would sell it besides a place like ebay. Anyways, I was wondering if I should go for the 1080, as I know that it should be more stable overall. (due to SLI compatibility not being implemented well in some games, etc) Or would it just be better to get a 1070 and run it in SLI. Well, if anyone reads this and replies, thank you so much. I've really been struggling to come to a decision on this, especially because I am not all that knowledgeable about this subject, and am new to PC gaming.

It absolutely depends on the games you play

if they support SLI well, then go for it.

if not, then get a 1080. you can probably sell your 1070 for about $300 on craigslist or something

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Like @RadiatingLight said. It really depends on the games you will be playing. Some games support sli and support it very well while others do not. It gets to a point where it's hit or miss. In some cases performance may even drop when running in sli so it's really dependent on the titles that you plan on playing.  Generally it should do well but there will be some game where it will not scale whatsoever. So if you're contempt with some game refusing to use the second card or even lowering performance that's fine. But when games are optimized amazingly you could get a 50% or even 75% boost in performance and makes it all the more worth it. 

Do this. Look up the games you plan on playing with an sli setup and compare the benchmarks with the 1080. If you're happy with the results go for it. But just be aware with the issues sli comes with. (Higher Thermals, More power consumption, and compatibility.) Other than that happy gaming! :)

I'd go sli but it really depends on if you need/want it. I use a 1080 and still gotta turn settings down and the gameplay isn't always smooth enough for a good fps game experience. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz