[Guide] Install ChromeOS on your old, slow laptop to give it new life

Featured.JPGHey everyone! This isn't exactly the oldest laptop ever, but I had an old HP Envy dv4 Laptop that I really wasn't using anymore. The Windows install on it got really slow, and I wasn't really using any of the programs anymore, except Chrome. I decided that I still wanted to use it for schoolwork and travel, and I heard you could install ChromeOS/ChromiumOS (the Linux-based operating system on Chromebooks) on a laptop. This would significantly speed up your laptop web browsing and boot speeds!

I was discouraged when I learned that you had to work through the Google Developer Console to install ChromiumOS, and even write some configuration for your specific laptop. Then, I discovered this free software called CloudReady. CloudReady allows you to easily add (a slightly modified version) of ChromeOS onto pretty much any laptop. Also, with some laptops, you can configure dual boot! (so you can either boot to Windows or ChromeOS) 

(Please note it would probably not work with some laptops, especially from over 10 years ago, but your mileage may vary).

Anyways, let's get to the guide:

1. First of all, you need an 8gb or 16gb USB flash drive to put the CloudReady image on.
  2. Download the CloudReady image from this site: https://www.neverware.com/freedownload. Make sure you get the right version (32 vs 64 bit)
  3. On a computer with Google Chrome installed, download the Chromebook Recovery Utility extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chromebook-recovery-utili/jndclpdbaamdhonoechobihbbiimdgai/related?hl=en
  4. Open Chromebook Recovery Utility, and click the gear in the top right corner. Then click "Use local image".80e7267ea8010478d1354184b88cc173.png
  5. Select the CloudReady zip file you just downloaded, and then the correct flash drive.
  6. Then, click "Create now" to create the installation disk.
  7.  It will take a while for the process to complete. You may see weird percentages such as "209%". This is normal because the program isn't exactly meant working with CloudReady. Also, if you are having trouble writing to the USB drive, try force quitting Google Chrome and the Recovery Utility and then running the program as an administrator. This method was able to fixe the problem for me, just make sure you force quit :) d68e914b3c8d633f1e204d34c6049aac.png
  8. After you are done, eject the flash drive and put it into one of your (powered off) laptop's USB ports.
  9. Turn on the laptop and go to the BIOS/Device Priority to boot from the USB drive, instead of the laptop 's hard drive.
    1. To find the keys to press during startup to go to your laptop's BIOS, make a google search with your laptop model and then "BIOS Config"
  10. You should now boot to CloudReady/ChromeOS and you should see the logo.

Setup/Install Instructions

1. Press "Accept & Install" to install Flash Player, this could take a few minutes.
  2. Configure Wi-Fi/connect via Ethernet
  3. Now, you can log in with your Google account.
  4. Also, make sure you've taken all the files you want off of your laptop. Even if you want to dual boot, just incase.
  5. After you've logged in, click on the time in the bottom right, then click "Install CloudReady". This will install CloudReady to your hard drive, instead of just booting off your USB disk.?format=300w
  6. Click "Install CloudReady"
  7. Now, you may see an option to dual boot. This is if you would like to choose between Windows and ChromeOS every time your laptop boots up. I may check with CloudReady's support devices list to see if your laptop can dual boot: https://guide.neverware.com/supported-devices/. Choose standalone if you just want ChromeOS.download.png
  8. The installation may take a while, and it may even restart a few times. When it's done, make sure you take out the USB flash drive before the laptop starts up again. 
  9. That's it! You've converted your old laptop into a fast Chromebook!

I hope you guys enjoyed this tutorial, and I hope it helped. I'd love your feedback :) This is the first one I've done on the LinusTechTips forums! I have a blog where I write about re-using old tech, but I decided I wanted to share it with the LinusTechTips community! If you want to see other ways to re-use your old PC/laptop, I have an article here.

I'm a blogger, student, and developer. I love re-purposing old hardware such as PCs, routers, and phones. 

Thanks!

Very well made.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Great Guide. I have done research about this in the past and if anyone has a raspberry pi, I would recommend checking out FlintOS (Chromium). 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

2 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Great Guide. I have done research about this in the past and if anyone has a raspberry pi, I would recommend checking out FlintOS (Chromium). 

Don't quote the OP's first post. especially if it's this long. it just clogs up the page.

if you're responding to the post, it's assumed you are responding to the guide. no need to quote it.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

37 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Thanks!

Very well made.

Glad you like it!

34 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Just took a look! Never heard of it! That's really cool! I have an old model B, so I'll definitely take a look, and probably even write a tutorial :)

I'm a blogger, student, and developer. I love re-purposing old hardware such as PCs, routers, and phones. 

13 hours ago, rrubberr said:

Also fedora.

Yes, but it still isn't as fast and simple as ChromeOS. I use Fedora a lot, though :)

Any other suggestions for tutorials guys?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2017 at 4:34 AM, Ben Potter said:

Any other suggestions for tutorials guys?

I would be interested in using your guide.

But can I still use word, excel and powerpoint on it ? (I will need those 3 programs to be able to use it for my studies)

I don't need you to explain to me how to exactly just a nudge in the right direction where I should look to figure out how.

On 3/14/2017 at 3:56 AM, NLD1st said:

I would be interested in using your guide.

But can I still use word, excel and powerpoint on it ? (I will need those 3 programs to be able to use it for my studies)

I don't need you to explain to me how to exactly just a nudge in the right direction where I should look to figure out how.

You would have to use Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Slides, or dual boot with your Windows OS so you could access your Windows partition when you need it for school.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:47 AM, Ben Potter said:

Featured.JPGHey everyone! This isn't exactly the oldest laptop ever, but I had an old HP Envy dv4 Laptop that I really wasn't using anymore. The Windows install on it got really slow, and I wasn't really using any of the programs anymore, except Chrome. I decided that I still wanted to use it for schoolwork and travel, and I heard you could install ChromeOS/ChromiumOS (the Linux-based operating system on Chromebooks) on a laptop. This would significantly speed up your laptop web browsing and boot speeds!

I was discouraged when I learned that you had to work through the Google Developer Console to install ChromiumOS, and even write some configuration for your specific laptop. Then, I discovered this free software called CloudReady. CloudReady allows you to easily add (a slightly modified version) of ChromeOS onto pretty much any laptop. Also, with some laptops, you can configure dual boot! (so you can either boot to Windows or ChromeOS) 

(Please note it would probably not work with some laptops, especially from over 10 years ago, but your mileage may vary).

Anyways, let's get to the guide:

1. First of all, you need an 8gb or 16gb USB flash drive to put the CloudReady image on.
  2. Download the CloudReady image from this site: https://www.neverware.com/freedownload. Make sure you get the right version (32 vs 64 bit)
  3. On a computer with Google Chrome installed, download the Chromebook Recovery Utility extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chromebook-recovery-utili/jndclpdbaamdhonoechobihbbiimdgai/related?hl=en
  4. Open Chromebook Recovery Utility, and click the gear in the top right corner. Then click "Use local image".80e7267ea8010478d1354184b88cc173.png
  5. Select the CloudReady zip file you just downloaded, and then the correct flash drive.
  6. Then, click "Create now" to create the installation disk.
  7.  It will take a while for the process to complete. You may see weird percentages such as "209%". This is normal because the program isn't exactly meant working with CloudReady. Also, if you are having trouble writing to the USB drive, try force quitting Google Chrome and the Recovery Utility and then running the program as an administrator. This method was able to fixe the problem for me, just make sure you force quit :) d68e914b3c8d633f1e204d34c6049aac.png
  8. After you are done, eject the flash drive and put it into one of your (powered off) laptop's USB ports.
  9. Turn on the laptop and go to the BIOS/Device Priority to boot from the USB drive, instead of the laptop 's hard drive.
    1. To find the keys to press during startup to go to your laptop's BIOS, make a google search with your laptop model and then "BIOS Config"
  10. You should now boot to CloudReady/ChromeOS and you should see the logo.

Setup/Install Instructions

1. Press "Accept & Install" to install Flash Player, this could take a few minutes.
  2. Configure Wi-Fi/connect via Ethernet
  3. Now, you can log in with your Google account.
  4. Also, make sure you've taken all the files you want off of your laptop. Even if you want to dual boot, just incase.
  5. After you've logged in, click on the time in the bottom right, then click "Install CloudReady". This will install CloudReady to your hard drive, instead of just booting off your USB disk.?format=300w
  6. Click "Install CloudReady"
  7. Now, you may see an option to dual boot. This is if you would like to choose between Windows and ChromeOS every time your laptop boots up. I may check with CloudReady's support devices list to see if your laptop can dual boot: https://guide.neverware.com/supported-devices/. Choose standalone if you just want ChromeOS.download.png
  8. The installation may take a while, and it may even restart a few times. When it's done, make sure you take out the USB flash drive before the laptop starts up again. 
  9. That's it! You've converted your old laptop into a fast Chromebook!

I hope you guys enjoyed this tutorial, and I hope it helped. I'd love your feedback :) This is the first one I've done on the LinusTechTips forums! I have a blog where I write about re-using old tech, but I decided I wanted to share it with the LinusTechTips community! If you want to see other ways to re-use your old PC/laptop, I have an article here.

just install xubuntu or arch Linux or any other lightweight Linux distro

On 3/22/2017 at 10:45 PM, Gameborn said:

just install xubuntu or arch Linux or any other lightweight Linux distro

On 3/23/2017 at 1:08 AM, EPENEX said:

Or just install Arch and have more features.

The idea is that ChromeOS is quick to startup, and easy to use for light browsing. Arch and other lightweight distros are very useful, but some people want a quick and easy web browsing experience.