Dead LED on corsair STRAFE rgb

FlpDaMattress
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
3 minutes ago, iannorton24 said:

That's what i'm guessing, But how do i fix it..

You have to RMA it unless you want to try and fix it yourself but at that point it will void the warranty. 

So after about a year of using a corsair strafe rgb as my main keyboard i noticed the backspace key lost the ability to display the color red, It will show the colors green and blue but for whatever reason red is completely unresponsive (Although sometimes I've seen it working but it'll start flickering when i need to press it) it's clearly a dead contact but i'm not sure how to repair it. Does corsair have a warranty? If so does it cover this? Is this a known issue? and is it user repairable?

12 minutes ago, iannorton24 said:

So after about a year of using a corsair strafe rgb as my main keyboard i noticed the backspace key lost the ability to display the color red, It will show the colors green and blue but for whatever reason red is completely unresponsive (Although sometimes I've seen it working but it'll start flickering when i need to press it) it's clearly a dead contact but i'm not sure how to repair it. Does corsair have a warranty? If so does it cover this? Is this a known issue? and is it user repairable?

Contact Corsair about that to see if you can get an RMA sounds like the red in the RGB LED gave up the ghost. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Contact Corsair about that to see if you can get an RMA sounds like the red in the RGB LED gave up the ghost. 

After using it for over a year?

4 minutes ago, iannorton24 said:

After using it for over a year?

Could just be a bad LED or solder connection even, it happens at times. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Could just be a bad LED or solder connection even, it happens at times. 

3 minutes ago, iannorton24 said:

You have to RMA it unless you want to try and fix it yourself but at that point it will void the warranty. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Yeah, My best bet is to issue an RMA,

2 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

It's unknown which SMD RGB LEDs Corsair uses.

One of their RGB keyboards used SMD's of this spec:

http://uk.farnell.com/kingbright/kptf-1616rgbc-13/led-smd-rgb-360-750-140mcd/dp/2335787

But I don't know which of their keyboards did.

The Ducky keyboards use 3528 SMD's of unknown MCD luminance.

All i know is the keys are clear rgb cherry mx reds. i have absolutely no idea what an SMD is..

10 minutes ago, iannorton24 said:

All i know is the keys are clear rgb cherry mx reds. i have absolutely no idea what an SMD is..

SMD means "Surface mounted diode".  aka the LED itself.

before we had SMD's we had regular 3 or 4 pin "bulb" LED's that sat in a recess in the keyswitch, and the pins attached to the PCB underneath.  the problem is, the LED bulb was exposed and would make close contact with the keycap, so that ESD discharge from your fingers (even if very very slight) would reach the LED, and would slowly over time cook the diode, killing it.  It was also more exposed to elements even without ESD.

RGB SMD's (there are regular 3 or 4 pin RGB LED's too like what Razer used) are small diodes which sit completely underneath the switch itself, does not make contact with the switch housing, and the switch has a clear housing plus an opaque layer at the top and a gap underneath the switch, to let the light from the SMD LED shine close to freely (with some diffusion).  The switch itself doesn't house the RGB LED.  They're just called RGB switches because they are transparent.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just bought my Strafe RGB the other day, and the red LED died on the C & V keys.

CPU: Core i7 7700K | GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 | MOBO: Asus Prime Z270-AR | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengance LPX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | SSD: Kingston 128GB SSD & Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX | Case: CoolerMaster Mastercase Pro 5

On 3/10/2017 at 6:38 PM, FusionDeck said:

I've just bought my Strafe RGB the other day, and the red LED died on the C & V keys.

Meaning this is a known issue.. are the led's permanently dead? or only shut off on occasion?