ssd's and gaming pc's

CatXice

so every time someone post i have £1000 for a GAMING pc everyone starts throwing ssd's in them why?

its a GAMING pc its not going to benefit from the read and write times of an ssd other then there game loading faster and faster boot times. now am not saying dont get one BUT if you want a gaming pc AND you want to do photo editing and video editing knock your self out get a ssd you will see the benefits of it  but thats not a gaming pc thats a workstation and thats a different thing.

now if you have a the latest i7 quad core cpu and a 1080 or titan x then by all means get a ssd as theres no reason not to but if your building an i5 with a rx480 or 1060 or even a 1070 dont get a ssd save the money get a better gpu cpu ram or cooler or just sod it and go have a pint with the money you saved on somthing you dont need for your GAMING pc thats built purely for gaming or light word processing and things like that. if you build it and have left over bugget by all means buy an ssd but dont downgrade other things for an ssd its not worth it for a gaming pc in a work station then yes but there different things

gaming pc - you want to save money were you can to get the best cpu gpu and coolers for both and as much ram as u can (you dont need over 16gb and you dont need over 2400mhz but thats not the point just a side note)

were as a workstation

you need a solid cpu with high speed ram and fast storage 

EDIT 

example:

you could buy a rx480 with a ssd or a 1070 with out 

now this is a gaming pc and you want to get the best graphics you can at 60fps or higher so you want the 1070.

you dont NEED fast boot and loading times because your not going to be loading a lot of programs all the time your going to load 1 program (your game) play it for 4hours and then come off change game what ever your time loading programs is nothing vs the time you spend playing games.

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Have you compared the boot times, and general program open/close times of a HDD to an SSD? Boot times go from 30~ seconds with a HDD to under 10 with an SSD, and most things load instantly. 

last time i checked when i was on a bf1 i wasnt opening and closeing loads of programs u know coz i have a gaming pc not a workstation i want to game on

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

People get SSD's because they are way more reliable than a traditional mechanical hard drive and they are also a lot faster. Hard drive technology has been around for about 17 years and in this day and age, an ssd is basically a necessity. Boot times take about 10 seconds compared to up to a minute with a hard drive and everything opens instantly.

have you ever used an SSD?

the speed difference is insane. I used to think the same way as you, and with my old PC, had 3 mechanical drives and no solid state stuff, but, after sticking a Trion 150 in my dad's PC, I was amazed by the speed difference, and bought an 850 evo for my new PC. The difference in overall system responsiveness is downright incredible. Things load instantly, and silently, because there are no moving parts

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

1 minute ago, chris76816 said:

People get SSD's because they are way more reliable than a traditional mechanical hard drive and they are also a lot faster. Hard drive technology has been around for about 17 years and in this day and age, an ssd is basically a necessity. Boot times take about 10 seconds compared to up to a minute with a hard drive and everything opens instantly.

but in a bugget gaming pc i would rather have frames over fast boot and loading times 

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

1 minute ago, shadowbyte said:

have you ever used an SSD?

the speed difference is insane. I used to think the same way as you, and with my old PC, had 3 mechanical drives and no solid state stuff, but, after sticking a Trion 150 in my dad's PC, I was amazed by the speed difference, and bought an 850 evo for my new PC. The difference in overall system responsiveness is downright incredible. Things load instantly, and silently, because there are no moving parts

what am i loading up when gaming?????

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

1 minute ago, CatXice said:

what am i loading up when gaming?????

the fucking game

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

7 minutes ago, CatXice said:

I wouldn't say never get an SSD with a build in that budget range, but it's not nessisary in my mind

and it's not worth getting Only a 240gb SSD vs a 1TB hard drive for the same budget

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

u all said the same thing but things load faster ye no shit they do but u dont need fast loading times when your playing games

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

but in a bugget gaming pc i would rather have frames over fast boot and loading times 

Yes maybe, but at the end of the day, It is a pc and I can guarantee that you will be using it for a lot more than only gaming, even if it isn't a workstation which is perfectly fine. An ssd will speed up everything that you do on your computer in general such as opening apps like chrome, accessing your files and whatever else you do.

1 minute ago, shadowbyte said:

the fucking game

so am going to spend like £80 on a ssd to save 20 seconds loading the game that am going to play for 4 hours at lower graphics but at least it opened faster.....

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

u all said the same thing but things load faster ye no shit they do but u dont need fast loading times when your playing games

We don't need anything.  We want it.  

You don't need to justify why you chose to stick with HDD.  There's nothing wrong with that.  On the other hand, you're wrong in making it sound like SSDs are pointless for gaming rigs because they aren't. 

so am going to spend like £80 on a ssd to save 20 seconds loading the game that am going to play for 4 hours at lower graphics but at least it opened faster.....

Thats the spirit!

i think this HD are good enough thing is going to end soon. i recently backed up my drives ( cloned 1 ) and tried a new install on 2 different 7200 rpm drives. I get hitching when I run off the HD's. Maybe it's something I forgot ( page filing maybe ). will get back to that in the future to test,. but it seems to me it's kinda like the old 144Hz to 60Hz thing. once you get used to the faster, the slower doesn't seem good enough all of a sudden. might be something for Linus to put in a vid? but it needs to be on programs/games that are used a lot that you are used to I think to see a difference.

Yes maybe, but at the end of the day, It is a pc and I can guarantee that you will be using it for a lot more than only gaming, even if it isn't a workstation which is perfectly fine. An ssd will speed up everything that you do on your computer in general such as opening apps like chrome, accessing your files and whatever else you do.

yes it will but £80 is the difference between a rx480 and 1070 which would u want to load chrome faster or have a better gaming experience on your gaming pc coz you got a 1070 not a rx480 for example

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

Thats the spirit!

you get my point now????

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

7 minutes ago, CatXice said:

last time i checked when i was on a bf1 i wasnt opening and closeing loads of programs u know coz i have a gaming pc not a workstation i want to game on

bf1 will take 3 min to load a large map on a hard drive compare that to under 30s on a good ssd. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

We don't need anything.  We want it.  

You don't need to justify why you chose to stick with HDD.  There's nothing wrong with that.  On the other hand, you're wrong in making it sound like SSDs are pointless for gaming rigs because they aren't. 

you want it not need it were gettin some were now a 1070 will make gaming better then a rx480 for example 

rx480 things load faster

1070 1440p not 1080p

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

3 minutes ago, CatXice said:

yes it will but £80 is the difference between a rx480 and 1070 which would u want to load chrome faster or have a better gaming experience on your gaming pc coz you got a 1070 not a rx480 for example

If you've only got a 1080p 60hz display then the RX 480 would be enough, and you'd be able to fit in an SSD

SSDs speed up everything about your system, not just games since it greatly reduces random access times for your OS and daily computing

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

bf1 will take 3 min to load a large map on a hard drive compare that to under 30s on a good ssd. 

well it dosnt does it? coz i have a 5400rpm hdd and my laptop has a 7200rpm hdd and the pc loads it faster coz its got a 7600k in it not a dual core 2,3ghz thing in it 

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you have the budget for an SSD, then throw one in there. If you'd rather spend the budget difference on another piece of hardware, that's fine too.

But trying to shame other people for their choice of hardware is bad.

am not am tryin to help people get better gaming for there money i said if u want a ssd get 1 but its not the best thing to do if its a gamin pc

My Build

i5-7600k

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

corsair void rbg (wired)