How big of an issue is 30fps gaming?

Gdourado

Hello, how are you?

so, today the reviews for Horizon came out and the game looks like it is stellar.

that is apart from the fact that it is an action game with emphasis on combat but it's running at 30fps.

I am wondering, how big of a deal is this actually?

I know from experience that 30 fps gaming on the pc is bad.

but how about on a console beeing played with a controller on a big TV?

does the setup make 30 fps enjoyable?

what's your opinion?

cheers!

I am fine wuth crysis3 running at 25fps on Pc. And you sit few meters away frim your couch so that won't be a problem much for console gamer like me

2 minutes ago, FilipSebik said:

30 FPS is nice for videos or movies. Games at 30 FPS are just moving images that makes no sense and it's worst. Try to put your refresh rate on 30Hz and you will see

If you are ONLY used to 60+ then yes, it is a 'not that good' experience BUT keep in mind that a decent framerate which makes the game playable is 30fps. Lower than that is disgusting and which is over 30 is awesome.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

For FPS games I'd rather be running at 720p than 30 fps

For games like age of empires and other rts games 30 fps is fine so it really comes down to style of gameplay when answering the question, I find 30 fps to be bad even on consoles if they allow for quick camera movement so it is more about the game being played than anything else.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

9 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

I know from experience that 30 fps gaming on the pc is bad.

but how about on a console beeing played with a controller on a big TV?

does the setup make 30 fps enjoyable?

30 fps on anything is bad, not just on PC.  Nothing about sitting farther away, using different hardware, or using a different input method is going to cover up the choppiness.  30 fps is 30 fps.  Which, imo, is not enough, but everyone's different.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

millions of people have played and still play at 30FPS and haven't died

30FPS being unacceptable is just /r/pcmr bullcrap

is 60+FPS better? yes, but that doesn't make 30FPS games unplayable :dry:

there are games on PC that have a 30FPS lock .. immagine that

Like AA, once you've experienced it in earnest, you can't easily unsee it. 

If a person is playing a lot of games at 60 fps, jumping into one at 30 fps will be fairly jarring, though one can get used to it quite quickly.

Though in a limited platform such as the console, that 60 fps mark is among the first things to get the axe as doing so allows double the time per frame for rendering, and is thus an easy choice to make in most games. Going much lower, for example, below the 24 fps mark, can break immersion for even the least picky of gamers, so there is a limit to how far one can go. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

It is not a matter of dying.

it is just a matter of making the game enjoyable.

I can say for a fact that I noticed when I went from 60hz monitor to 75hz monitor.

So I can say I am sensitive to fps.

So I was wondering if Horizon for example wouldn't be that enjoyable for me because it runs at 30 fps when I am used to use a bow and arrow on tomb raider or skyrim at 75 fps.

30fps isn't bad, per say

I played on consoles for most of my life, and as long as it's a stable 30fps, with no random frame drops, it's enjoyable

60 will always be better, but 30 is fine

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

IMO, after using a 144hz monitor for a little over a year now even 60 fps seems stuttery and unenjoyable. Tho i have started getting used to 60hz again since i had to send the benq back for repairs. cant wait to play some BF1/DOOM @144fps again :x

It just depends on what you're used to.

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

i've been playing on ps4 quite frequently, more so than on my pc, so i've gained massive tolerance to 30fps and frame drops. thanks Bloodborne...

so really it comes down if you can tolerate it, and if you can get used to relatively quickly. it is possible that the game may not maintain 30fps in some areas as well, so you have to get used to such frame drops and spikes. a PS4 Pro may work out better for you here, though that may not be the case for titles that have no Pro patch 

Frame rate is really a matter of preference. Games are perfectly playable at 30 FPS.

Personally for me, as long as it's consistent (well, and at least a double digit frame rate), I don't care. I would rather play at a constant 30 FPS than a game that struggles to maintain 60 FPS with frequent dips. This is the reason why a PS3 fighting game locked itself at 30 FPS rather than going to 60 FPS, the developers couldn't guarantee 60 FPS most of the time. Frequent dips in frame rate screws up timing.

Timing is also an issue.

i also noticed big time when moving to a freesync display.

It is true that the consistency of frames can have as much or more of an impact than the framerate itself (well, to a point).  Play any game hovering around ~60 vs having it locked to a perfect 60 and you'll see what I mean.  But unless it's really bad, it's still better than 30 tho :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It is true that the consistency of frames can have as much or more of an impact than the framerate itself (well, to a point).  Play any game hovering around ~60 vs having it locked to a perfect 60 and you'll see what I mean.  But unless it's really bad, it's still better than 30 tho :P 

In a game development class that focused on consoles, a teacher mentioned that if your games are running at 60 frames, you aren't pushing the visual bar enough. As aforementioned, if one is developing a console game to render at 60 frames, you must cut your render times by half. Compute available per frame, accordingly, is also cut by half. In an industry that is pushing the visual bounds of static hardware, targeting 60 frames can severely hamstring what can be achieved compared to the competition, and is usually advised if gameplay is heavily dependent on the higher framerate. (Call of Duty, as well as racing games being strong examples).

On PC, this doesn't apply quite so much as a gamer can simply throw more hardware at the problem, tech advancements and budget allowing, though a gamer that wants better visuals without upgrading has the option to sacrifice framerate in exchange. 30 fps on 4K is within realm of possibility for even last gen mid range hardware, while achieving 60 frames may require more than doubling the gpu budget. Of course, PC allows for this flexibility, which is the point I wish to make, and what I believe makes it the objectively superior platform for gaming.

Now, there are some console games that have terrible framerate problems. Metal Gear Solid 3 on the 3DS stands out as the worst offender I've personally played. Going from a fillrate-happy console to one practically starved of it did not do any favors .Not only are the framerates consistently below the 24 frames a second mark, there were cutscenes and a boss battle (or two) that plunged the framerate into the single digits, and spikes and dips all over the place. Despite that though, the game by itself was good enough to bear the framerate issues.

My eyes see the past…

33 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

*snip*

I think we can push the visual bar even further if we drop to 10 fps... just imagine, 3x the graphics power for nothing!

/s

Obviously thee's gotta be a balance, and for some reason consoles have settled on 30 fps as a standard framerate, while PC has primarily settled on 60 fps (with outliers in the 30s or over 100 of course).  Personally, I strongly believe that every game should give you the option to move within the framerate-graphics-resolution triangle at will, since everyone has different things they care more or less about.  And for me, it has to be native res at 60 fps, at any cost to graphics.

Anything less than 30 makes my tummy queasy ... so its a big deal.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think we can push the visual bar even further if we drop to 10 fps... just imagine, 3x the graphics power for nothing!

/s

Obviously thee's gotta be a balance, and for some reason consoles have settled on 30 fps as a standard framerate, while PC has primarily settled on 60 fps (with outliers in the 30s or over 100 of course).  Personally, I strongly believe that every game should give you the option to move within the framerate-graphics-resolution triangle at will, since everyone has different things they care more or less about.  And for me, it has to be native res at 60 fps, at any cost to graphics.

Well, I'd say the Metal Gear Solid 3D example I pointed out above definitely pushed close to that 10 fps mark. :P

The 30 fps mark was likely chosen for consoles as it allowed considerable render times without breaking immersion for what would be the majority of the target audience. Having a hobby in CGI, I admittedly find myself caring a lot less about the (photorealism targeted) graphics quality of a game as none of them can touch the quality of Path Tracing anyway. My favorite games do not even target photorealism. Valkyria Chronicles is perhaps one of the better examples, and looks gorgeous running at 4K, 60 fps (on a GTX 960 btw :P).

My eyes see the past…

30FPS is very playable on PC and console people who complain about it like me, we complain because we are used to having a lot more in my case i mainly play cs so i get a steady 150+ FPS, if you don't play on high fps all the time you're not going to notice 30fps, but if you play on high fps all the time its a huge difference.

12 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Anything less than 30 makes my tummy queasy ... so its a big deal.

You put your rig link in and make it private ... What a troll....   -_-

30fps is fine for me.  Some people won't even settle for 60fps (which kind of annoys me), so it's personal opinion.  When it gets to 25 or lower, I do start to get sick at my stomach though.  Something about the choppiness is disorienting.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

28 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

30fps is fine for me.  Some people won't even settle for 60fps (which kind of annoys me), so it's personal opinion.  When it gets to 25 or lower, I do start to get sick at my stomach though.  Something about the choppiness is disorienting.

I've heard people claim they get sick unless something is 60 FPS or higher.

Among other fun claims.

For me, a framerate cap as low as 30 FPS is a deal-breaker. At least in most action-oriented games.

I don't get any kind of unpleasant motion sickness or whatever, nor would I call it "unplayable" per se, I just find it less enjoyable and not worth the sacrifice when I have better alternatives available.

30 fps is play able but 60 fps makes the game so much better i usally turn down my settings  just to 60