Is this guy right about wireless vs wired networking for gaming?

Theminecraftaddict555

" There is no gaming performance difference at all between WI-FI and Ethernet. The limitation is your NIC, not the mode of transport. Even with .11bg, your max throughput is still 54Mbps at <1ms between you and your gateway, if configured correctly. "

Is that true at all? I would think there would be a difference in gaming performance in terms of lag when it comes to wifi and ethernet?

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

2 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

" There is no gaming performance difference at all between WI-FI and Ethernet. The limitation is your NIC, not the mode of transport. Even with .11bg, your max throughput is still 54Mbps at <1ms between you and your gateway, if configured correctly. "

Is that true at all? I would think there would be a difference in gaming performance in terms of lag when it comes to wifi and ethernet?

Its more about stability

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

Not really.  The limitation is your home to the ISP and to the server, not the 50 feet between your system and router.

Although, 2.4Ghz can get really noisy in high density areas, but 5Ghz fixes this.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

There is more latency with wifi, but, I don't really have any issues gaming over wifi. (I occasionally get a lag spike here or there that seems to be caused by the wifi scanning for connections in the area -- this can be disabled in a cmd window).

To be clear, a shitty wifi adapter (or wireless router) is a nightmare for gaming, but a good one is fine. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

There is more latency with wifi, but, I don't really have any issues gaming over wifi. (I occasionally get a lag spike here or there that seems to be caused by the wifi scanning for connections in the area -- this can be disabled in a cmd window).

To be clear, a shitty wifi adapter (or wireless router) is a nightmare for gaming, but a good one is fine. 

how to disable @djdwosk97

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

7 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Under the right conditions, there is no difference to the average gamer.

-アパゾ

I have a very good wireless setup in my house. I also work for an ISP that manages both wired and wireless internet in apartment complexes, where we typically install 1 $500+ enterprise AP for every 2.5 apartments (so one per every 5-10 people). I can tell you that one ethernet, you should *never* see ping times within your local network (i.e., pinging your router or another computer int he LAN) greater than 1ms. When testing on wireless, due to the fact that devices have to share airtime (every device gets a turn to talk) you will get some pings that respond in 1ms, but the average will be around 5-10ms and the max can be as high as 500ms or worse, if the wireless is actively being used by more than one person/device. If there is just a single device, then you can get wireless pings that are almost as low as wired - but it will never be as low.

As for impact on gaming, unless you have a very heavily congested wireless network, with pings (to the router) averaging more than 25ms, or packet loss when pinging your router, you will not notice any issue most of the time on wireless. You may still have more issues than on wired just due to spikes in activity.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

that entirely depends on the setup. the differences in latency can be so low that they are neglectible. i get a 4ms ping over ethernet pinged to google via cmd.exe over wifi i get 7ms ping to google. the difference is neglectable. thats on a 30 bucks router without external antenna's and on a laptop wifi card placed about 2 meters from the AP.

15 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Although I do not have conclusive imperical data around this subject, I'm gonna call this fake.

Yes 802.11g has a max troughput of 54Mbit/s. Correction: That's a max physical layer bit rate without any error correcting codes. Average troughput is probably around 25Mbit/s. That said: 25 Mbit/s is plenty for the relatively low amount of data transmitted.

Your NIC is plenty fast enough to handle the data dropped down from the application layer. If anything, it's rated for a max speed X by the 802.11 specification.

With wireless it's definetely more about the reliability of the connection. Wi-Fi is a broadcast medium. Meaning that everyone can detect it and use it. There's a high likelyhood of radio waves (the basics of Wi-Fi) interfering and manipulating/disrupting the signal. Interference would lead to data packets arriving at either end of the medium (your nic or the nic of your Acces point) with either wrong data or a different number for the checksum or not arriving at all. (Look up IPV4 packet syntax). This would to the resulting packet not being received by your client or the server (that is a couple of hops away from you). General TCP behaviour is that if a packet is lost in transmission, wait a certain timeout and retransmit it. So you can probably see the problem here.

Even with a decently low chance of signal interference due to channels and such, only a single packet lost could end up with the game being starved for data to/from the server for >150 milliseconds (Probably even more with a bad connection : TCP protocol adjusts retransmission timeout based on succes rate (Kinda)). This could lead to you registering a headshot on your end, but in reality the other player was 0.5m right of where you aimed.

With a wire, you're (most likely) using a medium that is just between you and the router/gateway. No interference, straight copper connections etc. Packet loss should be at its minimum here.

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

23 minutes ago, nobiggieBIG said:

how to disable @djdwosk97

netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Wi-Fi"

That will prevent the computer from connecting to wifi upon a fresh boot/restart, but you can either manually connect via cmd line, or enable autoconfig then connect and disable autoconfig. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I used to game on WiFI, now I am on wired. The only difference is slightly lower ping. Like stated above. If you some what okish conditions it should not matter. 5Ghz takes care of the interference issues for the most part. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Not really.  The limitation is your home to the ISP and to the server, not the 50 feet between your system and router.

Although, 2.4Ghz can get really noisy in high density areas, but 5Ghz fixes this.

Except for the fact that wifi is horribly unstable compared to ethernet. Ping will ALWAYS be higher on wifi, and network drops/lag spikes happen more often.

My native language is C++