Second monitor detected but gets "no signal"

x Princess Leliana x

So, I recently got a new cable to use for my second monitor. It didn't work at all. No signal on monitor, not being detected in windows, etc. I left it plugged in as it wasnt affecting anything and it was too much effort to unplug it (my pc is in an awkward position and it takes a long time to plug anything in). I logged on this morning as usual, nothing out of the ordinary, but when dragging google to the right to snap it, it kept flying off screen, wondering wtf was going on i opened screen manager and suddenly the second monitor was being detected, and i was able to drag things onto it, the problem is, the second monitor even when turned on is getting no signal, how can it be detected in windows, able to be used, but get no signal? Help?

What happens if you use that monitor as your only monitor?

Also, do you have the correct input selected on that monitor?

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

What happens if you use that monitor as your only monitor?

Also, do you have the correct input selected on that monitor?

The second monitor only has one input slot. I am using a HDMI to VGA cable to connect it. If I use the second monitor on its own with the cable currently plugged into it, it does not work (as i said, the cable is broken, which is why im baffled that it is being detected at all). If I plug the cable im using for my primary monitor into the secondary one, it works fine.

So if you plug the second monitor into the system using the cable that works, the monitor works as well.  What happens when you use the cable that doesn't work on the primary monitor?  

If you know the cable is bad, why are you trying anything at all besides returning it, is what I'm not understanding.  Once I determine a light bulb has burned out, I don't go putting it in other lamps to see if I can see to read.

30 minutes ago, Ringthane said:

So if you plug the second monitor into the system using the cable that works, the monitor works as well.  What happens when you use the cable that doesn't work on the primary monitor?  

If you know the cable is bad, why are you trying anything at all besides returning it, is what I'm not understanding.  Once I determine a light bulb has burned out, I don't go putting it in other lamps to see if I can see to read.

It doesn't work. The cable is broken, I don't understand how/why it is detecting monitors connected using it. And I got a refund for the cable. I'm just so confused as to why its detecting it. 

31 minutes ago, Ringthane said:

It doesn't work. The cable is broken, I don't understand how/why it is detecting monitors connected using it. And I got a refund for the cable. I'm just so confused as to why its detecting it.