Used powerline adapter for a year but...

I have been using tp-link AV500 powerline adapter for around a year plus now, but since last Saturday (18 February 2017) while i was playing dota 2 with 20 ping and 0 packet loss, my internet suddenly spikes to 1000+ ping with occasional packet loss and the game becomes unplayable. For the past year I was able to experience my internet plan's full speed - 8Mbps down 1Mbps up but now I experience between 1Mbps - 3Mbps down 1Mbps up. Other devices that connect through wifi is still able to reach the full internet speed. I have tried replacing the cable connecting my computer to the powerline adapter, the cable connecting my router to the powerline adapter, switching routers, using the pair button multiple times, changing power socket of the powerline adapter close to the router, unable to change the socket between the powerline adapter and my computer as there is only 1 socket there. Up to today (20 February 2017) I am still experiencing this and I've been speculating perhaps there is interference in the electric grid of my house, what are your opinions?

i would go through the effort of installing a proper Ethernet cable if possible, should solve most of the problems. would also personaly stay away from anything made by toilet paper link, i have had a really bad experience with there products(but the TP link router im usiung for my secondary network isnt THAT bad)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Is your house rented or owned? If owned you could run Ethernet cables @Bananasplit_00 suggested. If it's rented, you could ask your landlord or agent whether they will allow cables to be ran in the house. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 hour ago, KillingTime said:

I have been using tp-link AV500 powerline adapter for around a year plus now, but since last Saturday (18 February 2017) while i was playing dota 2 with 20 ping and 0 packet loss, my internet suddenly spikes to 1000+ ping with occasional packet loss and the game becomes unplayable. For the past year I was able to experience my internet plan's full speed - 8Mbps down 1Mbps up but now I experience between 1Mbps - 3Mbps down 1Mbps up. Other devices that connect through wifi is still able to reach the full internet speed. I have tried replacing the cable connecting my computer to the powerline adapter, the cable connecting my router to the powerline adapter, switching routers, using the pair button multiple times, changing power socket of the powerline adapter close to the router, unable to change the socket between the powerline adapter and my computer as there is only 1 socket there. Up to today (20 February 2017) I am still experiencing this and I've been speculating perhaps there is interference in the electric grid of my house, what are your opinions?

What you bought and plugged in ?   Something new on the electric circuit will be causing that ...

( or maybe something OLD and about to have an electrical failure ).

- or something you aint used in a while like a heater or a cooler plugged into a different place on electric points.

53 minutes ago, Rohime said:

What you bought and plugged in ?   Something new on the electric circuit will be causing that ...

( or maybe something OLD and about to have an electrical failure ).

- or something you aint used in a while like a heater or a cooler plugged into a different place on electric points.

I am certain there is no new items that were bought /plugged in recently but for the old electric appliances might need to wait it out cause everything plugged in is probably used by my family and nothing has changed places as far as I am concerned

1 hour ago, Abdul201588 said:

Is your house rented or owned? If owned you could run Ethernet cables @Bananasplit_00 suggested. If it's rented, you could ask your landlord or agent whether they will allow cables to be ran in the house. 

the house is my parents but I'm sure they won't like a cable sticking out in the living room as the router is there and my room is at the second floor of the house

@Bananasplit_00 Well, this is my first ever major problem with tp-link, as I said it was working fine for the past year + the modem/router for my house is also by tp-link which has served my family well for around 2 years now which is way better than what the isp provided

2 minutes ago, KillingTime said:

the house is my parents but I'm sure they won't like a cable sticking out in the living room as the router is there and my room is at the second floor of the house

@Bananasplit_00 Well, this is my first ever major problem with tp-link, as I said it was working fine for the past year + the modem/router for my house is also by tp-link which has served my family well for around 2 years now which is way better than what the isp provided

ISPs never give you even close to decent gear, so any replacement will be an improvement, anyway the TP link problem is more a personal thing tbh. you know you can do nice cable management too right? just make it run in the seem between the wall and the roof and use cable fastners. i was going to do that but then i didnt bother because im not allowed to drill holes nor cut a small pice out of my door so there was no point so its just laying in the door, its just for another year and then im most likely out of there

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

ISPs never give you even close to decent gear, so any replacement will be an improvement, anyway the TP link problem is more a personal thing tbh. you know you can do nice cable management too right? just make it run in the seem between the wall and the roof and use cable fastners. i was going to do that but then i didnt bother because im not allowed to drill holes nor cut a small pice out of my door so there was no point so its just laying in the door, its just for another year and then im most likely out of there

Maybe if this problem with my powerline adapter persist I would consider that idea, but if it recovers soon it would've just wasted money

4 hours ago, KillingTime said:

i know it's probably encrypted and all that jazz, but the thought of putting my LAN traffic into the mains power lines kinda bugs me, you know that same copper runs into all your neighbour's houses right ?

It's just the thought of having a my LAN theoretically accessible from any house on my street that i can't get over

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

30 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

i know it's probably encrypted and all that jazz, but the thought of putting my LAN traffic into the mains power lines kinda bugs me, you know that same copper runs into all your neighbour's houses right ?

It's just the thought of having a my LAN theoretically accessible from any house on my street that i can't get over

no it dosent, if its not compleatly different from the way we have it in Sweden then the power in your house isnt directly conected to the power going to your neighbror. it may go of the same mains but there is quite a bit of convertion that has to be done when the power reaches your house. mains around 480V and the power in your house is around 240V(they are dependant on where you live, i dont know the US numbers) but the conversion is enough to remove anything like an ethernet signal. the signal would basically be just structured interferance so any overpowering interferance would entirely destroy it

Builds:

Spoiler

*update* today for a brief moment i was able to reach back the maximum speed but now it has declined again after a reboot of the computer but then it hit me that the air conditional of my room is off (which has the starter for the air cond. is connected to the same socket as the powerline adapter) was off before then I was feeling hot as I live in Malaysia, I have found the roots of the problem but for the past year the setup did not change (used the same socket throughout the year cause its the only socket available in my room) with no problem at all. With the starter off I'm getting anywhere from 6Mbps-8Mbps which is still not the previous speed, with it on I'm getting 2/8th the speed. Could this mean that the starter for my air cond. is going to die as it is causing interference with the powerline adapter somehow or perhaps the socket is dying.