Which way should I go?

Hello community of Linus, this is my first post here so please be gentle but firm as I want to feel your presence ;)
So I shall start off when I first bought my computer(it's worth noting) I bought a pre-built off of craigslist- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Intel Core i5-4670K 64-bit Windows 10  Memory DDR3 240 GB SSD
After a year or so I upgraded to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, my question is, should I stick with NVIDIA and go with the 1070's & 1080's, upgrade my Intel to an I7 and buy more ram?
I currently have two stock fans(which seem to be just enough to keep everything cool, but when the summer kicks in I'm afraid they won't be enough, should I look into water cooling?(I've thought about it before, but as I am an amateur I want to slide into things easily before jumping the gun)
I'm also rocking a Carbide 300R Corsair Case, which I will be upgrading to a bigger case to help with more room for upgrading.  

This might not be what you're looking for, but you can get an RX-480, more RAM, and a water cooling system all for the price of a single GTX-1070.. I would go the RX-480 route.

3 minutes ago, jubjub2398 said:

This might not be what you're looking for, but you can get an RX-480, more RAM, and a water cooling system all for the price of a single GTX-1070.. I would go the RX-480 route.

Does the RX-480 run the same as a 1070? I'm looking to get the best out of what I buy to be honest, I really enjoy having the games I play run at a smooth pace and still look absolutely beautiful. I'm not a NVIDIA fan-boy so I don't mind swapping over to something that has more bang for my buck, ya know? 

14 minutes ago, StevieSenpai said:

should I stick with NVIDIA and go with the 1070's & 1080's, upgrade my Intel to an I7 and buy more ram?

I would totally do that without going the RX 480 route. The RX 480 is remarkably weaker than the 1070. I have an i7-4790k and i'm really satisfied with that. What resolution do you play at, what is your budget for the upgrade, where do you live, and will you be editing? If you play at 1080p 60Hz Ultra you will be satisfied with an RX 480 or a GTX 1060. Edit: You might want to wait for Vega tho, idunno

5 minutes ago, StevieSenpai said:

Does the RX-480 run the same as a 1070? I'm looking to get the best out of what I buy to be honest, I really enjoy having the games I play run at a smooth pace and still look absolutely beautiful. I'm not a NVIDIA fan-boy so I don't mind swapping over to something that has more bang for my buck, ya know? 

Let me put it this way. On a game like Fallout 4, the GTX 1070 gets 115 FPS on max settings. The RX-480 gets 95FPS on max settings. But the RX-480 costs half the price.. so you could grade your ram and get a water cooler too for the same price. and 95 Frames is still super smooth. 

1 minute ago, MrAwesomepants said:

I would totally do that without going the RX 480 route. The RX 480 is remarkably weaker than the 1070. I have an i7-4790k and i'm really satisfied with that. What resolution do you play at, what is your budget for the upgrade, where do you live, and will you be editing? If you play at 1080p 60Hz Ultra you will be satisfied with an RX 480 or a GTX 1060.

I own an HPw1907 monitor(an oldie) It's 1440x900. At the moment I'm just planning but my budget would be like $400 as I would like to upgrade my monitor to something more modern. I live in Illinois and I make a lot of short video clips(like 15-20 second clips) at the moment I use Sony Vegas to edit & render everything, while I use OBS to record everything else.

2 minutes ago, jubjub2398 said:

Let me put it this way. On a game like Fallout 4, the GTX 1070 gets 115 FPS on max settings. The RX-480 gets 95FPS on max settings. But the RX-480 costs half the price.. so you could grade your ram and get a water cooler too for the same price. and 95 Frames is still super smooth. 

Hmm yea 95FPS isn't bad at all, as long as it runs smooth enough and capable to keep me in awe at how beautiful some of these modern games look, I'm hands down. I would like to get into water cooling because unfortunately my room is like a sauna during the summers, even with a fan in my room, so the water cooling would especially come in handy. 

2 minutes ago, StevieSenpai said:

I own an HPw1907 monitor(an oldie) It's 1440x900. At the moment I'm just planning but my budget would be like $400 as I would like to upgrade my monitor to something more modern. I live in Illinois and I make a lot of short video clips(like 15-20 second clips) at the moment I use Sony Vegas to edit & render everything, while I use OBS to record everything else.

You can get an RX-480 with 8GB Vram for 200$ or the 1070 for 369. 

1 hour ago, jubjub2398 said:

On a game like Fallout 4, the GTX 1070 gets 115 FPS on max settings. The RX-480 gets 95FPS on max settings.

Edit: https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2016/06/29/amd-radeon-rx-480-8gb-review/7

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/06/29/amd_radeon_rx_480_video_card_review/8

In these two the RX 480 has the max settings on, running around 60 FPS.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-r9-rx-480-8gb-review,17.html

This one has high settings, no AA as far as i can see, and even then Jubjubs words are totally false.

If you are going to upgrade to 1080p though, i'd suggest an RX 480 and a 1080p Freesync monitor. I just wanted to call out Jubjub for his shit. Edit: I also think an i5 would be fine for you, no need to upgrade yet if you're gonna stick to 1080p

Edited by MrAwesomepants

1 minute ago, StevieSenpai said:

Hmm yea 95FPS isn't bad at all, as long as it runs smooth enough and capable to keep me in awe at how beautiful some of these modern games look, I'm hands down. I would like to get into water cooling because unfortunately my room is like a sauna during the summers, even with a fan in my room, so the water cooling would especially come in handy. 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qkNDf8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qkNDf8/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($96.99 @ Best Buy) 
Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($72.64 @ Jet) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB ARMOR 8G OC Video Card  ($208.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $378.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-20 04:19 EST-0500

This is the list of prices with a huge water cooler, 16 Gb of Ram, and a new 8Gb Rx-480. And btw the 95 frames was on a 1080p display. Your resolution is lower so it'll run even faster.

7 minutes ago, MrAwesomepants said:

Edit: https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2016/06/29/amd-radeon-rx-480-8gb-review/7

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/06/29/amd_radeon_rx_480_video_card_review/8

In these two the RX 480 has the max settings on, running around 60 FPS.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-r9-rx-480-8gb-review,17.html

This one has high settings, no AA as far as i can see, and even then Jubjubs words are totally false.

If you are going to upgrade to 1080p though, i'd suggest an RX 480 and a 1080p Freesync monitor. I just wanted to call out Jubjub for his shit. Edit: I also think an i5 would be fine for you, no need to upgrade yet if you're gonna stick to 1440p

Do you know how to read a graph? That says 86 not 60. And that's with "Godrays" on which isn't standard for max settings in Fallout 4. Don't talk out of your ass. The 3d guru article you quoted literally proved you wrong. 

*EDIT* Also don't listen to this guy he can't even read your resolution right. He think's you're on 2560x1440p when you clearly said you're on 1440x900p.

15 minutes ago, jubjub2398 said:

Do you know how to read a graph? That says 86 not 60 . And that's with "Godrays" on which isn't standard for max settings in Fallout 4. Don't talk out of your ass. The 3d guru article you quoted literally proved you wrong. 

86 isn't 95, and 115 isn't 129. That's not even max settings with AA, as Fallout 4 is a bit wierd for the RX 480. and as far as i can see is without AA as i said. The two other links who uses two other AA techniques are on avg. 58 FPS and 67.9 FPS respectively. You can't just use one article and think that that's max settings, 'cause it's clearly not. When an RX 480 hits 90 FPS max settings in a hefty game something should tell you there is something there that isn't right. Also, you should read more closely, i specifically said these two, not the one below display the game around 60 FPS, not the Guru3D link. So don't call me out on lies i didn't say. Edit: So basically, everything you wrote there has no ground to back you up.  But hey, i totally agree, go with the RX 480

86 isn't 95, and 115 isn't 129. That's not even max settings with AA, as Fallout 4 is a bit wierd for the RX 480. and as far as i can see is without AA as i said. The two other links who uses two other AA techniques are on avg. 58 FPS and 67.9 FPS respectively. You can't just use one article and think that that's max settings, 'cause it's clearly not. When an RX 480 hits 90 FPS max settings in a hefty game something should tell you there is something there that isn't right. Also, you should read more closely, i specifically said these two, not the one below display the game around 60 FPS, not the Guru3D link. So don't call me out on lies i didn't say. But i totally agree, go with the RX 480

First of all, the AA is on max. They said so in the into if you would actually read it. "ALL SETTINGS ARE MAX. Second of all, Godrays reduce fps by alot. Your benchmark has them on, while mine did not. 

16 minutes ago, jubjub2398 said:

*EDIT* Also don't listen to this guy he can't even read your resolution right. He think's you're on 2560x1440p when you clearly said you're on 1440x900p.

I don't? He said he's going to upgrade his monitor, and i advise him to upgrade to 1080p???. I don't think he's on 1440p, go read what i wrote again carefully next time, you've not understood what i said. Also, as i said, you can't just ignore the two other benchmarks man and say you're right.

I don't? He said he's going to upgrade his monitor, and i advise him to upgrade to 1080p???. I don't think he's on 1440p, go read what i wrote again carefully next time, you've not understood what i said. Also, as i said, you can't just ignore the two other benchmarks man and say you're right.

24 minutes ago, MrAwesomepants said:

no need to upgrade yet if you're gonna stick to 1440p

1440p is 2560x1440p mate. 

52 minutes ago, StevieSenpai said:

Hello community of Linus, this is my first post here so please be gentle but firm as I want to feel your presence ;)
So I shall start off when I first bought my computer(it's worth noting) I bought a pre-built off of craigslist- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Intel Core i5-4670K 64-bit Windows 10  Memory DDR3 240 GB SSD
After a year or so I upgraded to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, my question is, should I stick with NVIDIA and go with the 1070's & 1080's, upgrade my Intel to an I7 and buy more ram?
I currently have two stock fans(which seem to be just enough to keep everything cool, but when the summer kicks in I'm afraid they won't be enough, should I look into water cooling?(I've thought about it before, but as I am an amateur I want to slide into things easily before jumping the gun)
I'm also rocking a Carbide 300R Corsair Case, which I will be upgrading to a bigger case to help with more room for upgrading.  

Are you planning to upgrade your pc for gaming or editing/rendering? What's your budget?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

Are you planning to upgrade your pc for gaming or editing/rendering? What's your budget?

Gaming would be my main priority, but I do edit and render on the side. My budget is around $400, no more than $500. 

5 minutes ago, StevieSenpai said:

Gaming would be my main priority, but I do edit and render on the side. My budget is around $400, no more than $500. 

For gaming, i would upgrade your monitor and graphics card to a 1080p freesync monitor and rx 480/r9 fury.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury 4GB NITRO Video Card  ($246.98 @ Newegg) not too far behind a gtx 1070, especially if you can unlock the Compute cores for an air-cooled fury x.
Monitor: AOC G2260VWQ6 21.5" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($119.99 @ Best Buy) has freesync with a range of 30-75hz to help greatly with smoothness in games.
Total: $366.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-20 04:59 EST-0500

For editing and rendering, see if you can find a used/new i7 or e3 123x v3, the extra threads will help improve rendering and editing times. For your cooling issue, the cpu should be below mid-80 degrees celsius to be safe, download hwmonitor and observe your temps during gaming/editing/rendering and see if it goes over safe temps before your choose to upgrade your heatsink(and no, you don't need liquid cooling).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

30 minutes ago, jubjub2398 said:

1440p is 2560x1440p mate. 

Oh shit sorry man, i typed wrong there mate. 

On 2/20/2017 at 4:04 AM, herman mcpootis said:

For gaming, i would upgrade your monitor and graphics card to a 1080p freesync monitor and rx 480/r9 fury.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury 4GB NITRO Video Card  ($246.98 @ Newegg) not too far behind a gtx 1070, especially if you can unlock the Compute cores for an air-cooled fury x.
Monitor: AOC G2260VWQ6 21.5" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($119.99 @ Best Buy) has freesync with a range of 30-75hz to help greatly with smoothness in games.
Total: $366.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-20 04:59 EST-0500

For editing and rendering, see if you can find a used/new i7 or e3 123x v3, the extra threads will help improve rendering and editing times. For your cooling issue, the cpu should be below mid-80 degrees celsius to be safe, download hwmonitor and observe your temps during gaming/editing/rendering and see if it goes over safe temps before your choose to upgrade your heatsink(and no, you don't need liquid cooling).

Would you recommend unlocking? 
Also, would the Sapphire Radeon R9 fit inside my current case? The Carbide 300R Corsair Case.
I also forgot to mention I have a 750w power supply.