RAM SPEEDS 2133, 2400

PRATAP

Hi Experts,

While i was searching for the top speeds of RAMs when only 6th generation Intel CPU's were available,

i bought 2400 RAM and installed on 6th Gen CPU, later i surprised that i am taking advantage of only 2133 speed

Now 7th gen CPU's are in market..

I would like to buy 2400 RAM but while i was browsing for MOBO's, some manufacturers are not showing 2400 in their support list..

while ark.intel shows all 7th gen CPUs can produce 2400 Speeds..

my question is.. 2400 Speeds directly depend on Processors or in combination with MOBO's

mobo

you should be able to run your ram at 2400mhz, enable XMP in bios 

Photography / Finance / Gaming

What happens is that the fist time you plug ram into the motherboard it loads conservative timings and speed to make shore it will boot. Then you have to go into the bios and activate xmp or change each timing and frequency to the right value for your ram.

h110, b150, h170 supports max 2133mhz

b250, h270 supports 2400mhz

z170, z270 supports over 3200mhz

motherboard is the limitation not cpu

Q.will i see a difference between 2133 and 2400mhz?

Ans: yes, especially in cpu bound scenario.

Q. So, should i replace my h110, b150, h170 to get b250, h270?

Ans. no, the minimal performance increase cannot be justified by the cost.

1 minute ago, Hunter06 said:

Q.will i see a difference between 2133 and 2400mhz?

Ans: yes, especially in cpu bound scenario.

Really? 

You do already have 2400MHz installed. The RAM specs are always the XMP settings, so until you enable the XMP profile or manually edit the settings to match, you will run at a 2133MHz JEDEC standard.

Also there would be no point in upgrading from 2133MHz to 2400MHz anyway (in case you would have a 2133MHz kit), since the difference is so small. It would be different if we were talking 2133MHz vs 3200MHz.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Really? 

yes...on cpu bound scenario..see from 2.30 mark

your RAM is probably running at that speed because you havent enabled XMP in the BIOS, its not really worth that small of an increase in RAM speed for the cost of a new pair of sticks

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Hi Experts

I am about to buy i3-7320 & ASRock H110M-STX

i wanted you experts to confirm that if i buy a 2400Mhz RAM, will i really have this speed or 2133Mhz??

2400.png2400Mhz.png