game engine questions

Joelbanks5
Just now, rrubberr said:

Because those people have skill. Mind naming one?

Life is strange

1 minute ago, Joelbanks5 said:

Life is strange

You're still in school i presume?

Just now, rrubberr said:

It's stylized heavily. Stylized is soooooo much easier than trying for reality.

Not all AAA games are trying for reality.

Just now, rrubberr said:

I hope not. If this is the product after taking a class then... Yikes.

Where are some good free online tutorials on 3-D modeling? and animation?

Just now, rrubberr said:

3 years and a will to learn.

I've got plenty of time and have already shown my will to learn.

jokes aside, what are some decent and free online tutorials for that stuff? I'm not asking for college level stuff, just something to get me started.

Just now, rrubberr said:

You've shown a will to listen, which is very different than a will to learn. A will to learn would have started not by asking a forum for the easy answers, but for searching for them on your own (sorry, I've been reading Nietzsche). Download Blender and play around for a few years.

I did search on my own, did you not read my post when I said I read through the Wikipedia page to whoever posted about the Wikipedia page? And what do you think I've been doing here while I wait for you to respond? wanking off? No, I did that a few hours ago, I've been looking through youtube for tutorials and at various websites for tutorials as well as the Wikipedia page.

Just now, rrubberr said:

You've shown a will to listen, which is very different than a will to learn. A will to learn would have started not by asking a forum for the easy answers, but for searching for them on your own (sorry, I've been reading Nietzsche). Download Blender and play around for a few years.

If you haven't noticed already by me asking you, I didn't find much as far as tutorials go. A lot harder to find good tutorials for that kind of work than programming.

Just now, rrubberr said:

I've also learned that CAD is under 3-D modeling, something I'm already pretty good at. But that, as far as I know, isn't involved in video games.

Just now, rrubberr said:

Capture9.PNG

Right, only about 1.5 billion.

There are literally such a vast selection to choose from, and as somebody who taught himself to do this, the implication that there isn't a MASSIVE selection of media to choose from make me question your dedication.

No, I'm just stupid and don't know what to search and click on.

shit.PNG

3 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Capture9.PNG

Right, only about 1.5 billion.

There are literally such a vast selection to choose from, and as somebody who taught himself to do this, the implication that there isn't a MASSIVE selection of media to choose from make me question your dedication.

Who designs the gameplay and story and all of video games? Do they take part in the programming or modeling or anything?

Also, how do you achieve more of a stylized look?

Just now, rrubberr said:

Of course they do, the whole thing is a spiderweb of collaboration.

Play Legend of Zelda Windwaker. Generally, you try to mimic another kind of media, like cartoons or comic books.

But I mean are the people who make the gameplay decisions and such the actual programmers and 3D modelers themselves? or is it an actual job for some other person to do and only do that?

Just now, rrubberr said:

Nobody has only one job, look up the whole think about desks at Valve having wheels.

okay, so how are you supposed to know what you're applying for and what skill sets you're going to need?

To go back a bit, there is some scripting in game development. Provided, you can directly rip scripts from unity tutorials and use stuff from the asset store (unity is an engine, asset store is an online shop for models, scripts, so on) 

what takes so long is planning, balancing, iterations, scripting, making plug ins if you make plug ins, finding bugs, so on. Depending on the scope of your game it can take a long or short time to make the game. If you look at GTA5, there's tons of different models, like cars people scenery. Then someone has to put all those together. Then someone has to put the AI together. Go through the whole map and make sure the AI is set up properly. You also need people to make all the sounds, and write the songs if you have custom soundtracks. Writing scripts, stories so on. 

Game designers are like architects. They plan everything out (generally) and figure everything out. 

Modelling/animation is easy to learn and difficult to master. Blender is a great start. CAD are 3D modelling programs. It's 3D and you model with it; some game studios use CAD. Emphasis on SOME. Most use Maya, and 3ds max though it can be said that 3ds max is a cad. 

Learn and practice yourself. If you want to be good at game dev, go to school for it but not before you start learning yourself. Want to program? Learn now and then find a good school for it. Want to do sound/music? Go to a music school and teach yourself music theory. Want to do cg/cgi; learn now and go to a CG/CGI school. There are cg schools-Blender Guru mentioned one in a recent video I believe. 

..sorry I saw someone say there was no programming in games nowadays but that's not 100% true; though in many cases you don't HAVE TO program (more accurately script.) 

game development is an underestimated amount of work with more failures than success. 

"No one cares about you, nor your game." Everyone can watch TV or play cod instead of what you have. 

Watch GDC talks on YouTube about failures, then success. Then more failures. Blender guru is good for free cg stuff, Shawn Spaulding is good for a 2D engine called game maker, unity has their own phenomenal tuts for unity 2D and 3D. 3klikksphilip is good for learning level design though he is a CS youtuber and map creator. He uses the source engine. 

Any more and you'd probably be killed over 3 times from tl;dr. 

Just now, fpo said:

To go back a bit, there is some scripting in game development. Provided, you can directly rip scripts from unity tutorials and use stuff from the asset store (unity is an engine, asset store is an online shop for models, scripts, so on) 

what takes so long is planning, balancing, iterations, scripting, making plug ins if you make plug ins, finding bugs, so on. Depending on the scope of your game it can take a long or short time to make the game. If you look at GTA5, there's tons of different models, like cars people scenery. Then someone has to put all those together. Then someone has to put the AI together. Go through the whole map and make sure the AI is set up properly. You also need people to make all the sounds, and write the songs if you have custom soundtracks. Writing scripts, stories so on. 

Game designers are like architects. They plan everything out (generally) and figure everything out. 

Modelling/animation is easy to learn and difficult to master. Blender is a great start. CAD are 3D modelling programs. It's 3D and you model with it; some game studios use CAD. Emphasis on SOME. Most use Maya, and 3ds max though it can be said that 3ds max is a cad. 

Learn and practice yourself. If you want to be good at game dev, go to school for it but not before you start learning yourself. Want to program? Learn now and then find a good school for it. Want to do sound/music? Go to a music school and teach yourself music theory. Want to do cg/cgi; learn now and go to a CG/CGI school. There are cg schools-Blender Guru mentioned one in a recent video I believe. 

..sorry I saw someone say there was no programming in games nowadays but that's not 100% true; though in many cases you don't HAVE TO program (more accurately script.) 

game development is an underestimated amount of work with more failures than success. 

"No one cares about you, nor your game." Everyone can watch TV or play cod instead of what you have. 

Watch GDC talks on YouTube about failures, then success. Then more failures. Blender guru is good for free cg stuff, Shawn Spaulding is good for a 2D engine called game maker, unity has their own phenomenal tuts for unity 2D and 3D. 3klikksphilip is good for learning level design though he is a CS youtuber and map creator. He uses the source engine. 

Any more and you'd probably be killed over 3 times from tl;dr. 

thanks! best answer yet, feel free to let me know anything else you didn't have time to post in that one.

8 hours ago, Joelbanks5 said:

thanks! best answer yet, feel free to let me know anything else you didn't have time to post in that one.

Going back to everyone's you need the will to learn not just listen is still remaining. I begged my parents for a computer and once I got it, all I ever did with my spare time was learn game development. 

Now im at college and it's changed a bit. Too many people here play video games as opposed to make them. 

Game dev is an art. Whether it's 3D art, programmmimg, design choices, or something else, it's all art because it has to be appreciated by someone else. You can make a car that goes and no one will deny you. You can clone call of duty and everyone will ignore you. 

53 minutes ago, fpo said:

Going back to everyone's you need the will to learn not just listen is still remaining. I begged my parents for a computer and once I got it, all I ever did with my spare time was learn game development. 

Now im at college and it's changed a bit. Too many people here play video games as opposed to make them. 

Game dev is an art. Whether it's 3D art, programmmimg, design choices, or something else, it's all art because it has to be appreciated by someone else. You can make a car that goes and no one will deny you. You can clone call of duty and everyone will ignore you. 

Currently using codecademy, what else is there that has good tutorials for other parts of making a video game?

On 2/19/2017 at 10:03 PM, Joelbanks5 said:

What exactly is a game engine? What does it do? How does it work? And what makes up a game engine? Any other relevant information to help a stupid person understand a game engine is appreciated.

might want to dumb down you answer so I can understand it lol.

On 2/19/2017 at 10:08 PM, rrubberr said:

A game engine is all of the tools and such that are used to make a game. It makes pretty pictures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine

:)

Eh, not quite, but you're close!

What rrubberr is talking about is a game Development kit, which is a game engine but packaged with the tools to make games.

A game engine is what handles everything your game does, litterally everything including drawing and animating all of your graphics, physics, the sound, EVERYTHING.

Many times these days, game development kits are mislabeled as game engines. Unity, has a game engine built into it, but it's technically a game development kit because it includes many tools you'll need to make your game on the engine provided.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.