Intel Responses to Ryzen

Given that Cannonlake is based on their 10nm process I would be very disappointed if they achieved less than a 15% performance improvement over Kaby Lake, especially if it's supposed to bring IPC improvements.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

They said the exact same thing about kaby lake.... I'll believe it when I see it. Same goes for Ryzen

2 hours ago, CatXice said:

intel anit stupid they know what amd have in ryzen u dont think they wont have some one on the inside (and dont be like o this anit the FBI bullshit u know what i mean slide someone a grand and its amazing what they tell you all am saying) so the fact kaby lake is the normal 5-10% boost on sky lake makes my question ryzen  

Wat.jpg

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I didn't even understand that.  Please read into this.

His first post was about Intel giving money to a AMD employee for information. Which then gives intel the upper hand to making a CPU that's far better than AMD ever will. 

His second post then talks about Intel having far superior knowledge about making CPU and even if Ryzen is released, Intel will still be able to bury them because Intel is "always"(Cough* fanboy Cough*) superior in terms of technology/CPU experience.

This is what I came up with or after reading his poor grammar. Correct me if I'm wrong lol.

38 minutes ago, LegendKillerRG said:

His first post was about Intel giving money to a AMD employee for information. Which then gives intel the upper hand to making a CPU that's far better than AMD ever will. 

His second post then talks about Intel having far superior knowledge about making CPU and even if Ryzen is released, Intel will still be able to bury them because Intel is "always"(Cough* fanboy Cough*) superior in terms of technology/CPU experience.

This is what I came up with or after reading his poor grammar. Correct me if I'm wrong lol.

I agree in that's what they were trying to say.  However if one can't even manage to say so themselves in an intelligible fashion it doesn't speak well to their ability to form a thought about the industry.  Add their cartoonish FBI reference, uniformed crystal balling, and I think we're all pretty safe in not putting stock in those posts.  Otherwise I guess intel has all those developer conferences, press junkets and road map discussions just to put on a good show for their spies at AMD to get a laugh.  :EyesRoll: :BrainDies:

4 hours ago, MageTank said:

Except this means absolutely nothing. Look at the fine print. "In Sysmark". They made the exact same claim when comparing Kaby to Skylake. Look at what Kaby brought us. Zero IPC gains, and moderate clock speed gains and efficiency.

The main gain from Haswell to Kaby Lake in gaming is the move to DDR4 (see Digital Foundry testing with a Titan X at 1080p).

Sysmark includes a lot of memory bound stuff I would imagine. 

Zen should do very well. If Zen memory controller is subpar though Kaby Lake will pull ahead noticably in CPU bound scenarios or game that are sensitive to memory latency. 

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

3 hours ago, CatXice said:

intel anit stupid they know what amd have in ryzen u dont think they wont have some one on the inside (and dont be like o this anit the FBI bullshit u know what i mean slide someone a grand and its amazing what they tell you all am saying) so the fact kaby lake is the normal 5-10% boost on sky lake makes my question ryzen  

Intel are sure to have Ryzen silicon, just like AMD probably has some Volta silicon and NVIDIA Vega silicon. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, Carclis said:

Given that Cannonlake is based on their 10nm process I would be very disappointed if they achieved less than a 15% performance improvement over Kaby Lake, especially if it's supposed to bring IPC improvements.

its not tho, its 14nm

25 minutes ago, Vode said:

The main gain from Haswell to Kaby Lake in gaming is the move to DDR4 (see Digital Foundry testing with a Titan X at 1080p).

Sysmark includes a lot of memory bound stuff I would imagine. 

Zen should do very well. If Zen memory controller is subpar though Kaby Lake will pull ahead noticably in CPU bound scenarios or game that are sensitive to memory latency. 

from the listings iv seen(there was a Swedish store listing for Ryzen chips) they said a max supported speed of 2100MHz which is a bit low compared to the base frequency supported by Intel chips but that probably dosent mean much in the end

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its not tho, its 14nm

from the listings iv seen(there was a Swedish store listing for Ryzen chips) they said a max supported speed of 2100MHz which is a bit low compared to the base frequency supported by Intel chips but that probably dosent mean much in the end

You can always get OC Ram sticks. The crucial part is how much latency the memory controller on the CPU has. DDR4 itself has much tighter timings than equal Mhz DDR3 naturally but the memory controller again is also a huge factor.

Let's hope for the best I guess although I feel this will be a weakness for Zen, everything else looks really strong.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its not tho, its 14nm

That's a little concerning seeing as Intel seems to be relying on process node advancements for all of their performance increases as of late. I don't really hold too much faith in that >15% performance increase claim being met especially when you consider that Skylake to Kaby Lake made the same claim.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 minute ago, Carclis said:

That's a little concerning seeing as Intel seems to be relying on process node advancements for all of their performance increases as of late. I don't really hold too much faith in that >15% performance increase claim being met especially when you consider that Skylake to Kaby Lake made the same claim.

yah i doubt there will be much of a jump in preformance but thats becoming a problem seeing as going to a smaller node is becomeing hard. under 7nm is basically impossible with current tech. my guess is that we are either going to swap over to graphene instead of silicon or that we are going to dumo x86 and use some other instruction set or way of computeing that can benefit more from multiple cores

Builds:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its not tho, its 14nm

All the Crosshair VI Hero articles say 3200+ so yeah this Swedish store is garbo.

6 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Pretty sure we can say that with certainty, otherwise amd would go down in flames.

In all seriousness I suspect it to be better than haswell and worse than skylake, which for most people isn't good enough but they may sell ~i7  for ~i5 prices or something like that to compensate however they said they don't want to be the bargin bin brand so this strategy is contrary to their statement.

if they have a product that is within 10% of skylake and is more than 10% cheaper then i could see many people who would consider buying zen. if they sold 4c/8t cpu for the price of an i5 i could see a ton of people who would be interested in going that route even if it had haswell like performance. 

24 minutes ago, dexT said:

All the Crosshair VI Hero articles say 3200+ so yeah this Swedish store is garbo.

its CPU max, supported, for example a I7 7700K has a max supported of 2400MHz, its the chipsets and motherboards that allow for higher speeds to be used.

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

its CPU max, supported, for example a I7 7700K has a max supported of 2400MHz, its the chipsets and motherboards that allow for higher speeds to be used.

Gotcha. Haswell-E was 2133 as well.

9 hours ago, CatXice said:

Not sure whether you're a native speaker or not, but could you please make some sense next time?

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Considering how long Intel has been "not trying", one has to assume they have a lot of things lined up and ready to go, and this competitive market will only last briefly.

AMD releases Ryzen, sees a bump in sales, Intel releases something amazing that they've been sitting on for who knows how long, and their back on top as AMD just starts yelling MOAR CORES, or HSA again. And then we're back to where we've been for a while.

I hope I'm wrong though

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Considering how long Intel has been "not trying", one has to assume they have a lot of things lined up and ready to go, and this competitive market will only last briefly.

AMD releases Ryzen, sees a bump in sales, Intel releases something amazing that they've been sitting on for who knows how long, and their back on top as AMD just starts yelling MOAR CORES, or HSA again. And then we're back to where we've been for a while.

I hope I'm wrong though

Kaby Lake shouldn't have even existed, Intel released the same product that Skylake was with just enough improvements so people can't call it a scam, and now they are already forced to go 8th gen and Kaby Lake-E with the 7740k all in a rush because AMD did the "impossible" become competitive.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Kaby Lake shouldn't have even existed, Intel released the same product that Skylake was with just enough improvements so people can't call it a scam, and now they are already forced to go 8th gen and Kaby Lake-E with the 7740k all in a rush because AMD did the "impossible" become competitive.

True.

But remember, Intel can't really do much else, if they kill AMD, they kill themselves because they become a monopoly, which theoretically is illegal (at least in the US, it's theoretically illegal).

My guess is that they're just sitting on big stuff (what, I don't know, this is all hypothetical), waiting for someone to give them both an opportunity and a reason to release it.

I hope I'm wrong though

idk. i don't think there is really alot of room to improve ipc and frequency anymore. they will probably be limited to the same gains they have been getting every generation for the past couple of years. the only reason why amd was able make such a big increase in ipc is because they have been so far behind in ipc prior that alot of the ways to increase ipc were already known about. the only way i think intel will be able to stop ryzen from gaining ground is through pricing. if intel comes out with there next lineup with similar intel chips as ryzen chips at similar prices then its over. i dont think intel has been sitting on a huge ipc performance increase. 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

idk. i don't think there is really alot of room to improve ipc and frequency anymore. they will probably be limited to the same gains they have been getting every generation for the past couple of years. the only reason why amd was able make such a big increase in ipc is because they have been so far behind in ipc prior that alot of the ways to increase ipc were already known about. the only way i think intel will be able to stop ryzen from gaining ground is through pricing. if intel comes out with there next lineup with similar intel chips as ryzen chips at similar prices then its over. i dont think intel has been sitting on a huge ipc performance increase. 

Maybe.

One has to wonder though, what has their R&D division been doing all this time?

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

True.

But remember, Intel can't really do much else, if they kill AMD, they kill themselves because they become a monopoly, which theoretically is illegal (at least in the US, it's theoretically illegal).

My guess is that they're just sitting on big stuff (what, I don't know, this is all hypothetical), waiting for someone to give them both an opportunity and a reason to release it.

the legality of a monopoly isnt as strait forward as you would think. its illegal to have a monopoly through buying other companies but if it happens by competition naturally then its a different story. now if they didn't allow for someone else to get into the marketplace after amd went bankrupt i do believe that would have some legality issues. most likely if amd went out of business someone would buy their assests and take their place. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

the legality of a monopoly isnt as strait forward as you would think. its illegal to have a monopoly through buying other companies but if it happens by competition naturally then its a different story. now if they didn't allow for someone else to get into the marketplace after amd went bankrupt i do believe that would have some legality issues. most likely if amd went out of business someone would buy their assests and take their place. 

I would hope that is the case.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

There is IBM and Qualcomm on the server processors side too... I would love to see nVidia doing CPUs but I don't think they ever will.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Maybe.

One has to wonder though, what has their R&D division been doing all this time?

they have been coming to terms with the fact that the are a 1000 bottlenecks in a 1000 different places that all need to be increased inorder to get higher ipc, power efficiency and frequency.