Blizzard is ending support for Win XP and Vista

Bouzoo
6 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Resources, as in human resources, time and money. Every new update has to be, atm, brought to XP and Vista. Take one time to axe the support and no problems (costs) in the future.

But once again, I clearly said that "cutting support = not bringing updates" is perfectly fine. However, you don't need to stop games from running at all, it entails zero cost to let them run, since they are already running, and it does take at least a minimum human resource cost to disable them. So no, the cost of "supporting" is not a valid reason for killing the game on older platforms.

You seem to forget that Blizzard games need battle.net login to work. If you want to play offline game, then you will have to use pirated game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even D2 and Starcraft need battle.net authorization.

Which is why I said this is another example of pirates getting a better deal than paying customers. I also meant to say that the games themselves don't require any online functionality for single player mode, only DRM makes an internet connection necessary - so if there's any security issue, it lies with the DRM. An offline Win 95 PC is perfectly safe.

6 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

As far as Vista, I still stand at my initital statement, Vista was not that bad, it was mostly the hardware at the time holding it back. There are always different cases, like yours. I had almost no issues for instance when I installed it on appropriate hardware. I'm having more problem with Win10 in fact. 

Fair enough, and I won't derail this thread to discuss Vista :)

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

But there's just no point. Even they said so, almost no uses uses them, and I know they're the first that wouldn't sacrifice audience by doing something like this if they knew that they'd lose players. Same for web browsers, remember that Blizzard uses Battle.net and other social integrations too. And playing Starcraft 2 even offline on Vista or even XP? The game came out in 2010! You'd get that game and install decade old OS? If you're running such older OS you're running a security risk, not and OS!

I will ignore the scaremongering part and stick to the first few lines: no point in what? The games working is statu quo, there's zero effort required. You may deprive them of any updates (do ancient games still get any?), but the actual question is: what is the point of taking the trouble of breaking the games for any residual kid out there playing on an older OS? Computers with Vista weren't rare in 2010, so I don't see why a person who got a PC and the game back in the day should be that strange. If the majority of people moved on to other hardware, OS, and games, it doesn't mean that the guy can't still use his computer and game just fine like he did in 2010.

I don't imagine car stereo manufacturers disabling their devices in Fords older than a given year (MS is just one OS company after all, and games are just the entertainment part of PCs). And for all the security bullshit one may say about computers, cars can actually kill you.

Well, not surprising given Microsoft has long considered these as deceased members of the family.

Rip Windows XP :(. Go to hell Windows Vista!

Groomlake Authority

If you're still on Vista, you should rethink your Dorito/WoW sub budget. 

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Lol, if you have any version of Windows installed your running a security risk-its just a bit less of a risk with Vista and 7 (security goes Vista>7>8.1>10, with ">" meaning greater than). And BTW, there is a difference between not supporting and suddenly blocking a version of an OS from running something that it by all means should run just fine (take the latest version of Diablo II-with an unofficial patch it can run perfectly under Windows 95 with full Glide support, despite Blizard no longer supporting it.

New requirements (you can't even launch the installer under 98 or ME): https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/Diablo-II-System-Requirements
Original requirements which apply once again with the unofficial patch, despite the update removing support : http://gamesystemrequirements.com/game/diablo-ii

And the funny thing is, I can build a machine with the minimum and recommended specs uite easily with the components that I have. I've got the CPU, and I can even match the RAM & CD ROM drive. And with Windows 9*, Diablo II runs better than it does under XP and Vista on the same hardware.

I get all that, the point is no one really cares for those OSs anymore really. And since Blizzard games are launched through Battle.net which is quite different then back then, it's kinda understandable. Really no one will be hit by this.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I will ignore the scaremongering part and stick to the first few lines: no point in what? The games working is statu quo, there's zero effort required. You may deprive them of any updates (do ancient games still get any?), but the actual question is: what is the point of taking the trouble of breaking the games for any residual kid out there playing on an older OS? Computers with Vista weren't rare in 2010, so I don't see why a person who got a PC and the game back in the day should be that strange. If the majority of people moved on to other hardware, OS, and games, it doesn't mean that the guy can't still use his computer and game just fine like he did in 2010.

I don't imagine car stereo manufacturers disabling their devices in Fords older than a given year (MS is just one OS company after all, and games are just the entertainment part of PCs). And for all the security bullshit one may say about computers, cars can actually kill you.

"Breaking games for residual kid on older OS". And those would be extremely rare cases really. So someone who haves machine 7-10y old computer. And playing modern Blizz games on such old machine wouldn't be great cause performance, I have such old mid range PC from decade ago. Current WoW just no for example.

Also according to them there are barely any numbers of people on those old OS systems and also there is still like till end of year to upgrade.

It's for modern games, which all of them they listen came after W7 with WoW as exception, afaik legacy games will work fine.

Seriously, it's not a big deal, no one will care. Don't give me rural kid example. It's not some outrage thing, don't defend it out of sake of defending it. No one cares for this.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, Doobeedoo said:

(...)

I have the feeling you could go for hours without ever telling me why anyone needs to take the trouble of disabling anything.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I have the feeling you could go for hours without ever telling me why anyone needs to take the trouble of disabling anything.

Yeah such trouble... maybe they don't want to encounter trouble later on, who knows. None of use work there to know exactly. You're more troubled with your self about this topic about Blizzard cause it looks like it breaks some logic in your head that made you go 'this makes no sense' response on this thread.

I wonder how long it will take until Windows 7 is no longer supported by games. I plan on using windows 7 for at least the next few years. Ive been tempted to try 10, not sure though. Windows 7 still does everything I want it to. 

1 minute ago, corsairian said:

I wonder how long it will take until Windows 7 is no longer supported by games. I plan on using windows 7 for at least the next few years. Ive been tempted to try 10, not sure though. Windows 7 still does everything I want it to. 

At least until Jan. 14th 2020, which is the date that MS will remove official support. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

On 2/19/2017 at 5:36 PM, terrytek said:

its sad seeing vista support being axed. it's still a very good operating system, and i liked it over 7 and even 8 and 10.

Your avatar fits your comment ... 

Capture.JPG

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Blizzard ruined Diablo 3, no one cares what they support now.

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017

'bout time.

*edit

RIP XP & Vista you were good to us for a time.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

I tried windows ten, and I must say, I've never ranted to bash my head in so badly in my life. They claim it's 'minimal' and 'aesthetically pleasing.' That's code for 'the developers were too stupid to figure out how to draw rounded window edges.' It's ugly, its slow, and it outright lies about RAM usage. It really annoys me that Microsoft can't just make another serious version of Windows for us grown ups.

But super seriously don't listen to me. If Vista supported more than 128 GB of RAM, I would be running it right now.

I agree. Im tempted to buy 7 Ultimate or pro at least for more ram. used windows 10 and it just annoys me. I struggle to do simple things.. say what you want about me. Lol. 

7 hours ago, rrubberr said:

That's the most disgusting strawman I've ever seen, and I know it was probably meant to be a joke, but I think I vomited in my mouth a little after reading that.

...What?

8 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Vanilla WoW doesn't use any recent version of the launcher or the whole battle.net nonsense, so this shouldn't affect me at all.  :P

You can still play Vanilla WOW? Even after the fuckery that Blizzard went through to shut down the most popular Vanilla server?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Even after the fuckery that Blizzard went through to shut down the most popular Vanilla server?

Plenty of servers, but let's not go into details (ToS and that crap) ;)

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Plenty of servers, but let's not go into details (ToS and that crap) ;)

I didn't think that Vanilla WOW existed any more. I kind of don't play it because its subscription based, and it seems to get a bit less with each new version (that and I still have WCIII-which any of my machines play, even the one with the shit-even-for-1997 Nvidia Riva Vanta)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Let's all just take a second to think about how amazing XP was. :D

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

On 2/20/2017 at 11:31 PM, rrubberr said:

That's the most disgusting strawman I've ever seen, and I know it was probably meant to be a joke, but I think I vomited in my mouth a little after reading that.

Don't be a twat. It's not a straw man, he literally said that once