Nintendo Switch Teardown appears on the web - easy repair - Tegra what?

GoodBytes

This is pretty sexy stuff... Damn. Its better than I thought, i'm glad Nintendo decided not to use an inferior tegra chip vs the X1.

I may purchase the console on release now, we'll see.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I'm so hype about the Switch until i see the launch price here, >$500.

-_--_-

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

18 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

-_--_-

I did a quick Google search, it looks like the system is $450 US (currency converted), and it looks like all the big retailer who offer pre-orders forces you into a bundle purchase. And in Malaysia, your sales tax is included in the price, if Google is correct (the price you see, is what you pay). In the US and Canada, the sales tax is not included. The percentage is added at the cash register. Where I am, you have to add ~15% of the price of a good or service price.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

The question is, why do you care so much about specs? Isn't the deciding factor be the games and not the specs?

They go hand in hand. The specs determines what you can do with your game.

You can't say one is more important than the other because there needs to be a balancing act.

Tetris on SLI Titans won't be very impressive, but neither will Battlefield One at 400x240 and 30 FPS.

But more importantly, like you said, hardware plays an important factor in how well your platform is supported. Just look at the Xbox 360 vs PS3, where a lot of developers didn't bother optimizing for the PS3 because of the complicated hardware, and as a result the 360 was better for most cross-platform titles.

why would both Nintendo and Nvidia push "custom", why not simply "Tegra X1 rev 2", or "Tegra X2" (X1 with just a die shrink) or something.

Well one explanation would be that if the latest rumors are true, the Switch does not have the A53 core cluster. Saying "Tegra X1 but with half the cores" doesn't sound as good as "custom chip". Or maybe they have made other changes too.

Even if it did have Pascal inside. Let's be honest here... it would still be sucky specs. I mean the full fancy Pascal Tegra chip is estimated to be close to the XBox One performance. Most likely, it will be a down clocked version due to battery life being already bad, and well, XBox One is slower than the PS4, and now both console are "replaced" by a higher version (XBox One Scorpio later this year, and PS4 Pro might be the only option)

You are overestimating the performance of the X1 by a lot.

The X1 with Pascal cores would not even stand a chance against an Nvidia 750, and the 750 is quite a bit slower than the GPUs in the Xbone and PS4.

For comparison. The 750 has 512 cores.

The X1 has 256 cores.

The X1 is quite literally a 750 cut in half, so even at full full specs and with Pascal and other improvements, it would still not even be half as fast as an Xbone since the 750 itself isn't as fast as that.

With the Switch, is the fact that the game will definitively not be as visually impressive as the PS4 or XBox One, BUT you can play your game anywhere in your home, TV, bed, couch, table, on the bus, train, plane, in the car (assuming you are not the one driving), at school, etc. And you have this ready to go, easy to setup, no extra equipment needed LAN setup you get from multiplayer game. Would you trade graphics for these abilities?

With a 2.5 hour battery life on a brand new, fresh battery, it's not exactly suitable for mobile use unless you are near a power outlet, or only take short trips and can charge it at your destination.

Not trying to take a dump on the Switch, but I think you are trying to oversell it waaaaay too much.

19 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

They go hand in hand. The specs determines what you can do with your game.

You can't say one is more important than the other because there needs to be a balancing act.

Tetris on SLI Titans won't be very impressive, but neither will Battlefield One at 400x240 and 30 FPS.

But more importantly, like you said, hardware plays an important factor in how well your platform is supported. Just look at the Xbox 360 vs PS3, where a lot of developers didn't bother optimizing for the PS3 because of the complicated hardware, and as a result the 360 was better for most cross-platform titles.

Well one explanation would be that if the latest rumors are true, the Switch does not have the A53 core cluster. Saying "Tegra X1 but with half the cores" doesn't sound as good as "custom chip". Or maybe they have made other changes too.

You are overestimating the performance of the X1 by a lot.

The X1 with Pascal cores would not even stand a chance against an Nvidia 750, and the 750 is quite a bit slower than the GPUs in the Xbone and PS4.

For comparison. The 750 has 512 cores.

The X1 has 256 cores.

The X1 is quite literally a 750 cut in half, so even at full full specs and with Pascal and other improvements, it would still not even be half as fast as an Xbone since the 750 itself isn't as fast as that.

With a 2.5 hour battery life on a brand new, fresh battery, it's not exactly suitable for mobile use unless you are near a power outlet, or only take short trips and can charge it at your destination.

Not trying to take a dump on the Switch, but I think you are trying to oversell it waaaaay too much.

The stated battery life is still better than that of my laptop when it was new and was only used for document editing...so I personally would find it far more useful as a mobile gaming device (also, my laptop's APU is not even close to entry level GPU from 2010/2011).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

14 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

That battery doesn't really look Nintendo-esque?

this is probably a dev kit unit not a retail one thats why 

I lurk a lot

The "A2" isn't referring to a shrink nor some Pascal -fairy dust sprinkled on it - it's simply a respin of the chip with changes to metal layers and nothing else. Naming is standard practice on those.

Shrink would be noted as "B1", as would any other changes to anything but the metal layers (and throwing Pascal-stuff in there would be just a totally new chip altogether)

On 2/20/2017 at 3:10 PM, xAcid9 said:

Better than not even being launched in our county(India) :(

12 minutes ago, AG1233 said:

Better than not even being launched in our county(India) :(

Hmmm :/, you can import it, maybe? I mean it is region lock free.

But, I don't know how all that works. I mean, if something ever happen here in Canada, I can my car, go to the US, buy it there, return to Canada, pay the sales tax at the boarder, and file tax return for the US tax I paid. Or stay in the US for a few days, like  weekend, and now I don't need to pay the Canadian sales tax, returning back home. (this is deal with the US to promote tourism on either sides.. the more days you stay, the more you can spend buying goods without paying sales tax of your country of origin when returning back... up to a limit of course)

26 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Hmmm :/, you can import it, maybe? I mean it is region lock free.

I do plan on asking my friends or family to bring it for me like I did with my all other consoles and systems(Wii U,3ds,Ps4,Xbox one).The problem with that still is since Nintendo isn't officialy launched in India its a pain to get any support/games (Though I can buy games digitally but for me Physical>Digital for consoles) .Also I am pretty sure some local retailers will be selling it as well, the problem being the prices they charge for it.For example when PS4 wasn't launched in India the retailers were selling it for 900-1000$ bucks.Even when it was launched in India officially it launched for 700$ which is too much comparing to 400$ which I paid for one.

The Switch with 128\256GB of storage would be more wise for those kids\teenagers that want every possible game on theyr Switch without having to resort to microSD cards xD. 

Still waiting on that "revolutionary" UFS 2.0 external storage card smartphones to kick in...

Groomlake Authority

5 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

The Switch with 128\256GB of storage would be more wise for those kids\teenagers that want every possible game on theyr Switch without having to resort to microSD cards xD. 

I dont see need for 256gb of Internal storage when micro sd expansion is available, that would increase up the price unnecessarily.However just 2 variants with 32gb and 64/128gb would be nice IMO