Vintage ATX Case

Lalorm

Hi all,

I have a question about an ATX case.  I recently came across an old ATX case I had in storage.  It's an old Gateway 2000 mini tower case which is an ATX form factor. From around the year 1995-96.  I used to work in Gateway and seeing the case has brought back some good memories working there and so I'm thinking of starting a new build around this case.  However, my question is although it's an ATX case and an ATX motherboard should fit, would I run into any problems given that the case is over 20 years old.  No cable management space and not a lot of ventilation so won't be running any power hungry/heat generating components.  Anyone ever try this building in a case this age?  What would be the best spec I could expect to run in a case like this today?  Don't say a Pentium 133 :)

Here's a photo of the case as it stands.  Haven't cleaned it or treated it with Retrobright to remove the yellowing yet so it's not looking it's best.  You can see the difference in the colour on some of the parts.

Regards.

M.

20170219_173403.jpg

20170219_173504.jpg

20170219_173523.jpg

I was hoping to use it as a box for VMs.  So I'm not too concerned about the video card, but more the CPU and memory.  I've been thinging about the following...

Intel i5-6500

MSI B150 Socket 1151 ATX Mbd

64GB Ram.

Or is that overkill?  I currently have a i7-4790K running with 32GB ram (maxed out) and can manage 6 VMs but I need more Ram so looking to build a new system for it.

Regards

M