Thinking about getting a Ps4 Pro and ditching my PC. Am I crazy?

Gdourado

Hello, how are you doing? 

So, the thought in the tittle has been crossing my mind frequently... 

But let me elaborate a bit on it. 

During my life I have been both a console gamer and a pc gamer. My last console was the ps3 and I played several great games on that machine. 

But ever since my ps3 broke down (before the last of us came out), I have been a pc gamer. 

Gaming is a hobby. I don't have a lot of time to play since I also have a son and my family is the priority and takes a lot of time. 

So I am more of a casual gamer. 

I don't play online nor do I play multi-player games. 

I like single player campaigns. 

The thing is that I think I am currently on a rut when it comes to games. 

There is really nothing I feel like playing on the pc. 

I feel that nowadays steam is just a bunch of unfinished indie early access games and the few AAA games that come to pc are console ports that are unoptimized. 

That's why I am thinking of getting a Ps4 Pro and use my free hobby time to play the really good first party PS exclusives, like the last of us remastered, Uncharted 4, final fantasy 15, horizon zero dawn and such. 

What are your thoughts on this? 

Am I thinking straight or do I need to submit myself to psychology evaluation? 

Thanks for chiming in. 

Cheers 

nope. I don't playing anything other then Minecraft and euro truck on my PC. Everything else there master card, I mean my Xbox one.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

During my life I have been both a console gamer and a pc gamer. My last console was the ps3 and I played several great games on that machine. 

But ever since my ps3 broke down (before the last of us came out), I have been a pc gamer. 

Gaming is a hobby. I don't have a lot of time to play since I also have a son and my family is the priority and takes a lot of time. 

I feel that nowadays steam is just a bunch of unfinished indie early access games and the few AAA games that come to pc are console ports that are unoptimized. 

That's why I am thinking of getting a Ps4 Pro and use my free hobby time to play the really good first party PS exclusives, like the last of us remastered, Uncharted 4, final fantasy 15, horizon zero dawn and such. 

Thanks for chiming in. 

Cheers 

Well, if you think that PC games are not for you and you prefer PS4 games, then why not. It's true that a lot of exclusives are very appealing, but if you get rid of your PC you lose much more than just a "gaming machine".

It's your call, if you like PS4 exclusives then go for it.

6 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

The problem with the PS4 pro is that a lot of its games are also optimised. I'd rather get a Xbox One S/Switch + PC. Sony's exclusives aren't that impressive, it's usually just Naughty Dog.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

You need serious help. JK

On the serious note. Get the PS4 Pro if you want to play some of the exclusives, but don't ditch your PC, since you would be missing out a lot. Consoles have a small library and shitty performance so they should never be used as a primary gaming machine.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

I had a PS3 and played the hell out of it and then went to PC and have been there for 3-4 years but yesterday I bought a PS4 because I want to play The last of us. 

Buy a PS4 or PS4 Pro to play the exclusives but keep your PC. 

Maybe get a second hand PS4 to reduce the cost? 

If you were to switch to PS4 Pro, which in your case I wouldn't go against, you'd loose out on your entire PC. I'm not a PC fanboy as I've just built my PC, but to my knowledge emulators for the current gen are coming in soon. Although I don't knowhow soon and chances are that when they come out, they will be an unoptimized mess. If you were to ditch your PC, just remember that you'd be loosing out on all that power and of course the functions of a PC.

Just remembered, PS did a cloud gaming service called PS Now. That may fit your needs although I honestly don't know much about it.

Nevermind, looks like they are going to discontinue it some time next year

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/15/playstation-now-service-update/

i think you should look around a bit more in the PC games market, because there's plenty of games that are very much worth keeping a PC around. it doesn't even have to be a powerful PC, though may be nice to have if you plan on getting into games that scale well with more powerful hardware (e.g. witcher 3). 

with that said having a ps4 around isn't a bad idea. if you like the exclusive titles that are currently out and ones that are planned to launch, then a ps4 can be worth getting. 

I understand some of the points. 

I don't really use the pc for anything else other than gaming. 

I don't work with the pc and casual web use I do on the couch with the iPad. 

Sell the PC if you need the money. You could also give it to a friend who might need / want it.

Otherwise, a PC is a versatile device to have in the household. It's not only for gaming; maybe you'll need to print something. You can also install some educational games for your son.

If you not getting any major use out of the PC then either sell it off, or keep it encase something comes up that you want to use the computer.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I know the pc is great for games.

Last game I really played was Skyrim Special Edition.

went on for more than 130 hours. Loved it and got all the achievements.

But now, I go to gamespot and see the 2017 pc exclusives video and there is not a single game in there I look forward to.

On the other hand, the same gamespot video for 2017 PS4 exclusives has plenty of games I would love to play.

2 hours ago, Gdourado said:

I know the pc is great for games.

Last game I really played was Skyrim Special Edition.

went on for more than 130 hours. Loved it and got all the achievements.

But now, I go to gamespot and see the 2017 pc exclusives video and there is not a single game in there I look forward to.

On the other hand, the same gamespot video for 2017 PS4 exclusives has plenty of games I would love to play.

i'd say get the ps4 for exclusives and keep the pc for everything else.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

So, I was looking at some videos from Digitalfoundry, and it appears several PS4 exclusive game have performance issues.

I was looking at Until Dawn and the game seems to dip frequently to 20 fps...

Also Bloodborne seems to suffer from frame pacing problems...

These are two games I was interested in.

Is this an issue?

I remember when I started playing Dead Space 2 on the PC, I was having issues playing the game.

Then I realized that playing with the game Vsync on was locking the game to 30fps.

It was only when I disabled Vsync in game and used Vsync on the catalyst control to my refresh rate of 75hz, that I started to really enjoy the game.

Would this kind of thing be an issue with the PS games?

I know it is different to play on the couch in a big TV rather than at the desk with a keyboard and mouse, but still...

Cheers!

34 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

-snip-

It may be an issue seeing how frames dip on a few games on the console and the console seems prioritizes higher resolution @30fps as opposed to the higher frame rate. Also doesnt the ps4 pro now do dynamic resolution in an attempt to keep the game at 30fps?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

10 hours ago, IAR117 said:

If you were to switch to PS4 Pro, which in your case I wouldn't go against, you'd loose out on your entire PC. I'm not a PC fanboy as I've just built my PC, but to my knowledge emulators for the current gen are coming in soon. Although I don't knowhow soon and chances are that when they come out, they will be an unoptimized mess. If you were to ditch your PC, just remember that you'd be loosing out on all that power and of course the functions of a PC.

There aren't even playable emulators for the previous gen other than Dolphin for Wii. The only thing that looks like it'll be reasonable for current gen is Cemu for the Wii-U, but even in the best case it's still a stuttering mess the first time you play through any part of its best running games. So Cemu might be a year or two away from being reasonable to game on, at say the level of Nestopia, SNES9X, ePSXe, PCSX2, etc. XENIA for the 360 and RPCS3 for the PS3 aren't even close to being playable and I doubt they will be for five years or more. 

1 hour ago, Gdourado said:

So, I was looking at some videos from Digitalfoundry, and it appears several PS4 exclusive game have performance issues.

I was looking at Until Dawn and the game seems to dip frequently to 20 fps...

Also Bloodborne seems to suffer from frame pacing problems...

These are two games I was interested in.

Is this an issue?

I remember when I started playing Dead Space 2 on the PC, I was having issues playing the game.

Then I realized that playing with the game Vsync on was locking the game to 30fps.

It was only when I disabled Vsync in game and used Vsync on the catalyst control to my refresh rate of 75hz, that I started to really enjoy the game.

Would this kind of thing be an issue with the PS games?

I know it is different to play on the couch in a big TV rather than at the desk with a keyboard and mouse, but still...

Cheers!

Bloodborne does have frame pacing issues but it's such an amazing game. If you're serious about buying a PS4 you should go buy Bloodborne today, because the Playstation Store has the complete edition for $17.49 as a digital download. But the sale ends after tonight. It's an unbelievably good game. It is the best game I have played since Skyrim in 2011. Yes, better than Witcher 3 IMO. Better than The Last of Us. Better than GTA V. The game normally runs $20 for the base game and $20 for the DLC. I have never played Until Dawn so I can't comment there. But Bloodborne is amazing enough to buy a PS4 just for it.

I don't know why, but I can play console games at 30 fps but absolutely cannot stand 30 fps on PC, even playing with a controller (the only games I play with mouse and keyboard are first person shooters). Don't get me wrong, 30 fps on console doesn't look anywhere near 60 fps on PC, but 30 fps on console feels a lot better than 30 fps on PC to me. I actually don't think it's the distance though. I play my PS4 and PS3 from a few feet away on a bigscreen, but I have my XBox 360 hooked up to my monitor and I still enjoy playing those games at 30 fps at my desk.

PC gaming seems like it's in a real rut though. Early 2016 had some great releases with Witcher 3: Blood and Wine, Dying Light: The Following, Dark Souls 3, Firewatch, Overwatch, Doom, XCom 2, etc, but the last half of 2016 just looked like shit on with garbage like No Man's Sky and Mafia 3, with Dishonored 2 performing horribly, and with Watch Dogs 2 being boring as hell. It seemed like the only bright spot of late 2016 for PC was Battlefield 1, which is amazing and beautifully optimized (it looks so great on my 970, much better than most games look on a 1070). And for 2017 the only PC game I'm hyped for is Mass Effect Andromeda. While with PS4 there is Nioh, Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption 2, and then 2018 looks outstanding also with Days Gone, God of War, and maybe even The Last of Us Part 2 (though I'm expecting that to be a 2019 release).

It's a good time to buy a PS4, as there are so many great exclusives that are dirt cheap. Bloodborne as I mentioned above is a must. The Last of Us HD Remaster plays at 60 fps if you render at 1800p on the Pro, though only 30 fps if you want a native 4k, and it's going for $20. The Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection is awesome, containing 60 fps 1080p remasters of the three PS3 games in the series. And the graphics are upgraded a lot from the PS3 originals. That game is like $18 at Walmart. God of War 3 is another 60 fps 1080p remaster of a PS3 game that goes for less than $20. I think I paid $15 for it at Walmart. The Last of Us is the only game on the list that has a PS4 Pro patch though. The rest just do 1080p on the Pro.

You can also often find some of the more recent exclusives like Uncharted 4, Final Fantasy XV, and The Last Guardian for around $30.

I think that might have to do with frame time.

since developers know the PS4 only has one model of GPU, they optimize the 30 fps for near perfect frame times. Together with the less responsive and accurate controller instead of a mouse, the 30 fps feels smooth on console.

on pc, there are multiple GPU models, from Nvidia or ati, with different driver implementations and so frame times at 30 fps on the pc can be all over the place.

When I mentioned dead space 2, granted it is a game I was playing with keyboard and mouse and doing fast camera movements with the mouse.

that is probably why I was so sensitive to the 30 frames issue.

Yes. The PS4 Pro isn't good enough still. FFXV runs at 25 to 34fps on it. If even that. They should focus less on graphics and more on smooth frame rates.

"We're gunna blow this mother♥♥♥♥er up." - Barret FFVII Abridged, in regards to the Mako Factory.

"WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STAIRS?!" - Eddy (Ed, Edd 'n Eddy), while sneaking Ed out of his room.

57 minutes ago, TwilitScholar said:

Yes. The PS4 Pro isn't good enough still. FFXV runs at 25 to 34fps on it. If even that. They should focus less on graphics and more on smooth frame rates.

There is a mode that runs at a locked 30 fps on the Pro, and it's not much of a step down from the highest graphics mode. All modes are rendered at 1080p on the Pro for FF XV. I can't remember if base PS4 is rendered at 900p or if it gets a dynamic resolution.

On 2/19/2017 at 6:00 AM, Gdourado said:

Thanks for chiming in. 

Cheers 

hey i am not thinking the same i already decided it 

for some reason after few month i cant't enjoy playing games as i used to on ps3 i will still have PC for games that run terribly on console and exclusives like m&b and i will play ps4 exclusives and games that are optimized for ps4 pro on concole

I have recently done the same. I have sold my PC and bought a PS4 Slim.. For my computing tasks, I still have an older Macbook Air which kicks enough power to do what I have to do.

To try and see this for myself, I downloaded some uncompressed 1080p game play clips for some ps4 games. 

Some games I actually thought I wanted to play. 

Uncharted 4. Very good looking game when you are not using free look and moving the camera. Once that happens it is a blurry mess. 

After seeing that, I couldn't play the game for the 14 hours it lasts. 

Bloodborne. 

Very noticeable the slower frame rate after I played Dark souls with dsfix at 60 fps for more than 50 hours and sotfs 60 fps for more than 40 hours. 

Final fantasy 15 just stutters. 

After this I can tell that console gaming is an issue for me. 

So, no ps4 in the future for me. 

Cheers!