Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hotdogs&bbqsauce

laptop power draw from wall outlet or battery

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

always wondered, for newer laptops (i have e.g. xps 13 9360), when i keep my laptop plugged in at 100%, does the laptop draw power directly from the wall or does it still draw power from the battery and the battery is continuously charging?

just wondering if keeping it plugged in at home will destroy the battery over time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hotdogs&bbqsauce said:

always wondered, for newer laptops (i have e.g. xps 13 9360), when i keep my laptop plugged in at 100%, does the laptop draw power directly from the wall or does it still draw power from the battery and the battery is continuously charging?

just wondering if keeping it plugged in at home will destroy the battery over time. 

It overcharges your battery and kills it faster. Take out the battery and keep it plugged into the wall if you don't need it.


 
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, MaxBunny said:

It overcharges your battery and kills it faster. Take out the battery and keep it plugged into the wall if you don't need it.

thanks for the reply.

 

the thing is, for the xps 13, theres no easy way to remove the battery so it makes thing difficult 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been wondering about this too. I thought maybe once the battery is charged 100%, power supply to the battery is cut off. Is there a way to use a laptop in ac power supply mode without removing the battery? mine is built in

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MaxBunny said:

It overcharges your battery and kills it faster. Take out the battery and keep it plugged into the wall if you don't need it.

wait no. it doesn't do that...modern day batteries and charging system stops the charging at like 99% for protection and stuff. Yes it's not GOOD for the battery to never lose charge and stay at 100%. Its not good to leave batteries complete discharged either. Battery life and health is measured in cycles. When you decide to take out the battery and store it for longer periods of times, it should be at around 50%. Leaving it at 0 causes potential issues in that it can't gain charge anymore and keeping it at 100 damages the battery because it starts degrading within 48 hours. That's where the myth that leaving your laptop charged at 100% and keeping the ac outlet in all the time damages the battery. it doesn't. the battery harms itself at 100%. 


Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shadowblitz3 said:

Been wondering about this too. I thought maybe once the battery is charged 100%, power supply to the battery is cut off. Is there a way to use a laptop in ac power supply mode without removing the battery? mine is built in

 

It doesn't really matter. Just use it normally. by the time you need to get new batteries for the laptop, the laptop will be outdated or dead anyways. if you do want to prevent full charge, there's firmware that sets max charge at whatever percentage you want. I don't have any recommendations cause I don't use any of them (because of the first point I made), but if you really want to, it's available. 


Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, Pendragon said:

It doesn't really matter. Just use it normally. by the time you need to get new batteries for the laptop, the laptop will be outdated or dead anyways. if you do want to prevent full charge, there's firmware that sets max charge at whatever percentage you want. I don't have any recommendations cause I don't use any of them (because of the first point I made), but if you really want to, it's available. 

thanks for the reply. 

 

i use it for uni almost everyday (drain about 80% of the battery) and when i get home i plug it in till next morning. so it doesnt stay plugged in all the time, just at nights.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hotdogs&bbqsauce said:

i use it for uni almost everyday (drain about 80% of the battery) and when i get home i plug it in till next morning. so it doesnt stay plugged in all the time, just at nights.  

that's fine. 0 damage. Once you go through 1500 cycles or so the battery life will be shit. But from your usage it's about 1 cycle per day. So you'll get like 3.5 years out of your battery. 


Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×