WD Red - Recording

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to expand my system's storage capacity by 4TB. I was wondering if WD Red (not pro version) would do well for both storage and recording via Dxtory @100mb/s . Would anyone happen to know if this is okay? I know the WD Red is a variable RPM drive so I'm not sure if that's enough speed to record at 100mb/s. How would I know or be able to tell? 

I current use a Seagate 1TB drive @7200rpm to record stuff and sometimes use my Adata 2TB HV620 to record footage. I have another Adata 1TB CH11 for storage. The reason I have so many external drives is because I used to use laptops for school and now that I'm home, I use my desktop. Thanks in advance!

You should use an SSD for recording at that bitrate.

Even though the drive speed is higher than the bitrate I have still seen people get lag spikes while recording.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Even though the drive speed is higher than the bitrate I have still seen people get lag spikes while recording.

I don't think you need an SSD to write at 100MB/s. Getting 4TB in SSDs would be a waste of money.

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yes, technically I should and yeah I have seen lag spikes while recording at that bitrate but.... that was only when I was running both my game and recording on the same drive (yes I was an idiot before). 

3 minutes ago, RektSkrubs said:

I don't think you need an SSD to write at 100MB/s. Getting 4TB in SSDs would be a waste of money.

Yeah I'm not sure buying 4TB worth in SSDs would be a very wise choice. Should I just opt for the Red Pro? I could go for WD Blacks but the thing with that is, I've read they heat up a lot and they're noisy. I don't really like noise of any sort when I'm around my computer other than noise from my headphones and my keyboard. 

2 minutes ago, RektSkrubs said:

I think you don't understand that not everything is sequential writes, and that the sequential speeds are just the PEAK speeds in an ideal scenario.

As I said, I have seen people still get lag even though their sequential speeds are over their recording bitrate.

PS. you don't need 4TB of SSD space, only 100-500GB depending on how many hours you record, then after recording you can just move the video files to your HDD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I think you don't understand that not everything is sequential writes, and that the sequential speeds are just the PEAK speeds in an ideal scenario.

As I said, I have seen people still get lag even though their sequential speeds are over their recording bitrate.

PS. you don't need 4TB of SSD space, only 100-500GB depending on how many hours you record, then after recording you can just move the video files to your HDD.

True I could do that! I think my longest recording took up around 589GB. I would render the footage in Sony Vegas after before uploading. 

100 Mbits/second?  A HDD will handle that just fine.  Or did you mean MBytes?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

100 Mbits/second?  A HDD will handle that just fine.  Or did you mean MBytes?

Megabytes! Sorry haha MB/s

1 minute ago, tomoki said:

Megabytes! Sorry haha MB/s

oh.  Yeah I would be very tempted to get an SSD cache.  That's a sizable chunk (50%+) of a typical HDD's max sequential write speed, and as mentioned, you don't want to push too close to that for a variety of reasons.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh.  Yeah I would be very tempted to get an SSD cache.  That's a sizable chunk (50%+) of a typical HDD's max sequential write speed, and as mentioned, you don't want to push too close to that for a variety of reasons.

Hmm... what's my best option? I'll list my drives I currently use. 

Asus P8Z77-V LK Mobo (Yes it's old. I'm planning to change it late this year)  - No M.2 and i'm limited with 2 SATA III 6GB/s ports while the other 4 are SATA II 3GB/s. I have my Seagate 1TB and Samsung 850 PRO SSD 256GB plugged into the Sata III ports. 

Samsung 850 PRO SSD 256GB - for OS 

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm HDD - for games storage and sometimes recording footage on it

Adata CH11 1TB - for storage of my most important files and work

Adata HV620 2TB - For more storage and sometimes recording game footage on it as well depending on which HDD is less full. 

27 minutes ago, Jetfighter808 said:

Get a 256 gb MLC ssd of your choice to act as cache then a 4tb Red for mass storage

To change it into cache, would I need to use something like Primocache? 

17 hours ago, tomoki said:

Hmm... what's my best option? I'll list my drives I currently use. 

Asus P8Z77-V LK Mobo (Yes it's old. I'm planning to change it late this year)  - No M.2 and i'm limited with 2 SATA III 6GB/s ports while the other 4 are SATA II 3GB/s. I have my Seagate 1TB and Samsung 850 PRO SSD 256GB plugged into the Sata III ports. 

Samsung 850 PRO SSD 256GB - for OS 

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm HDD - for games storage and sometimes recording footage on it

Adata CH11 1TB - for storage of my most important files and work

Adata HV620 2TB - For more storage and sometimes recording game footage on it as well depending on which HDD is less full. 

There are a few options.  You could install a small SSD (64 GB or so) and have it act as a cache for the HDD, which should smooth out any random variations in needed write speed that the recording might cause, allowing for a constant and doable sequential transfer to the HDD.  Or you could get a larger SSD (large enough to comfortably hold one complete recording session - only you will know how much this needs to be) and just record to that then manually move the files later.  Regardless you'll want a large HDD (or two; backups are important) to store your footage, and I'm guessing you'll want some sort of SSD "buffer" between the capture and the storage.  But, maybe I'm wrong.  Since you'll need the HDD anyway, if you don't mind spending a bit of time to test, you could always grab the drive and do a few test recordings and see how it keeps up.  Maybe it'll be fine :D

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

There are a few options.  You could install a small SSD (64 GB or so) and have it act as a cache for the HDD, which should smooth out any random variations in needed write speed that the recording might cause, allowing for a constant and doable sequential transfer to the HDD.  Or you could get a larger SSD (large enough to comfortably hold one complete recording session - only you will know how much this needs to be) and just record to that then manually move the files later.  Regardless you'll want a large HDD (or two; backups are important) to store your footage, and I'm guessing you'll want some sort of SSD "buffer" between the capture and the storage.  But, maybe I'm wrong.  Since you'll need the HDD anyway, if you don't mind spending a bit of time to test, you could always grab the drive and do a few test recordings and see how it keeps up.  Maybe it'll be fine :D

Sweet! Hmm... yeah regardless I feel like I'll probably need a large capacity HDD either way. I was thinking of grabbing a single 1 TB ssd and a large capacity HDD. I'm just a little hesitant at the moment because I'm wondering what I'd do with my other storage devices. I don't think I'll be using the 1TB Seagate much longer as it seems to sometimes create problems....especially when I ran my OS off it a few years back. 

I'm really unsure how to setup SSD buffers or even use them as caches (My best guess is Primocache for caching but no idea for buffers).