960 vs 970 vs 980 vs 1050 vs 1050ti

ramo55

I'm coming from a laptop that has an intel hd graphic card inside it. I played games like league, overwatch, minecraft etc... but on very low settings, overwatch for example, I have everything turned down completely to be able to play it and so on. So I'm planning an upgrade but I'm not sure which of the graphics cards I should be looking at, I've had a look around for some reviews and so on but it's still not clear.

As I am a casual gamer, I'll be occasionally playing games such as GTA, Overwatch, league, dota, the crew etc.. but I'm more than happy to play on medium settings, so which card suits me best? When I was looking I came across laptops that had all of the different cards I listed here so I'm not sure which to pick?

That $800 laptop from Dell with an i5 quad and a GTX 1050 should suit you just fine. Acer has a system with an almost identical configuration for the same price, if you have a brand preference.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

That $800 laptop from Dell with an i5 quad and a GTX 1050 should suit you just fine. Acer has a system with an almost identical configuration for the same price, if you have a brand preference.

Is that the dell inspiron 15 and the acer nitro that you're talking about?

1 minute ago, ramo55 said:

Is that the dell inspiron 15 and the acer nitro that you're talking about?

I think Dell's is an Inspiron 15 model. For some reason I'm thinking Acer's is called the VX15.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

800 dollar Laptop exists with such specs? I never speculated.

Challenger Tier at League of Legends since Season 5.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I think Dell's is an Inspiron 15 model. For some reason I'm thinking Acer's is called the VX15.

Ohh okay I know which one you mean now. I've came across them before. The thing that put me off is the i5 processor. I do youtube videos which require video editing, and when I asked on the forum here if I should get the i5-6300hq vs i7-6700hq I was told hands down the i7 so I'm kind of confused right now?

2 minutes ago, tiggar47 said:

800 dollar Laptop exists with such specs? I never speculated.

Linus did a video on it back at CES (as did every other YouTube tech channel that could get within twenty feet of it).

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Linus did a video on it back at CES (as did every other YouTube tech channel that could get within twenty feet of it).

could you send me the link?

Challenger Tier at League of Legends since Season 5.

15 minutes ago, ramo55 said:

Ohh okay I know which one you mean now. I've came across them before. The thing that put me off is the i5 processor. I do youtube videos which require video editing, and when I asked on the forum here if I should get the i5-6300hq vs i7-6700hq I was told hands down the i7 so I'm kind of confused right now?

If you're just doing basic stuff and gaming, the i5 is fine. You're not. You're video editing. You need all eight threads of the mobile quad i7. My wife has an ASUS with a 6700HQ and a GTX 950M. Not a great GPU at all, but it gets the job done for her when she does any gaming, and the eight threads make her life working with VMs so much more tolerable than it was on her old A8-6410M chip.

12 minutes ago, tiggar47 said:

could you send me the link?

Don't have it bookmarked. If you go to YouTube and search VX15, it should be right near the top.

If you're just doing basic stuff and gaming, the i5 is fine. You're not. You're video editing. You need all eight threads of the mobile quad i7. My wife has an ASUS with a 6700HQ and a GTX 950M. Not a great GPU at all, but it gets the job done for her when she does any gaming.

Don't have it bookmarked. If you go to YouTube and search VX15, it should be right near the top.

Mind if I ask what model the asus she has is? And yes the 950m probably isn't that great, but I'm sure it can run overwatch and gta at medium settings easily right?

Mind if I ask what model the asus she has is? And yes the 950m probably isn't that great, but I'm sure it can run overwatch and gta at medium settings easily right?

She left it at work this weekend, of course. We both think that vx550 or vs550, something like that, sounds right. I can't recommend it. It has an issue with the PCB or connector for the USB 2.0 port on the right side of the PC, and that port doesn't work. She RMA'ed it, it came back still not working, and ASUS' response to her was to not respond to her. Won't be buying ASUS laptops again.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

She left it at work this weekend, of course. We both think that vx550 or vs550, something like that, sounds right. I can't recommend it. It has an issue with the PCB or connector for the USB 2.0 port on the right side of the PC, and that port doesn't work. She RMA'ed it, it came back still not working, and ASUS' response to her was to not respond to her. Won't be buying ASUS laptops again.

Ohh well that's a shame. Their products really do seem like they are good but I don't really fancy having issues like that. Anyway back to searching then until I can find a good laptop.

Ohh well that's a shame. Their products really do seem like they are good but I don't really fancy having issues like that. Anyway back to searching then until I can find a good laptop.

Their mobos are outstanding. Their GPUs are hit or miss, but more good than bad. Their customer service for mobos is great. Their laptops used to be great.

Their mobos are outstanding. Their GPUs are hit or miss, but more good than bad. Their customer service for mobos is great. Their laptops used to be great.

I've owned one before, had good specs but the fan noise and temperature wasn't really good. Not bad never the less.

3 hours ago, aisle9 said:

She RMA'ed it, it came back still not working, and ASUS' response to her was to not respond to her. Won't be buying ASUS laptops again.

Asus customer support at its finest

Dont bother with the 7567 this gen. You need to mod it yourself to get a decent moniter. Look into the Y520. or the N850HK1

https://lpc-digital.com/product/sager-np6852-clevo-n850hk1/?ex=1

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p