Rx480: g1 gaming or nitro+ oc

karsnoordhuis

Hi everyone

I have saved up for a rx480 8gb.

I do have a bit of trouble chosing between two cards: the gigabyte g1 gaming 8g or the sapphire nitro+ oc 8gb.

Which is better, has more oc potentional (yes i know this can vary per card) and witch is the most reliable.

What is your opinion?

G1 Gaming has a better Cooler, Period.

Nitro+ is only good, if it's much cheaper than all other. Here in Germany, the Nitro+ is down to 209€, as 8gb model.

Nice Price, so it's ok.

But: The Nitro+ is one of the WORST coolers you can buy in a RX 480. it's just SO Loud.

So, the Nitro+ is pretty much Garbage, except you find a good Pricedeal.

Very good / Silent models are:

MSI Gaming X > Asus strix (with Silent Bios/Tweaks) > Powercolor Red Devil > Gigabyte G1

Edit: i don't know why so many people vote for the Nitro. Never seen any Tests and comparisons? D:

1 minute ago, Darkseth said:

Nitro+ is only good, if it's much cheaper than all other. Here in Germany, the Nitro+ is down to 209€, as 8gb model.

Nice Price, so it's ok.

But: The Nitro+ is one of the WORST coolers you can buy in a RX 480. it's just SO Loud.

MSI Gaming X > Asus strix (with Silent Bios/Tweaks) > Powercolor Red Devil > Gigabyte G1

WAT? The G1 is the worst 480 you can get.

6 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Not for 480's, they're actually pretty terrible.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Nice Price, so it's ok.

Edit: i don't know why so many people vote for the Nitro. Never seen any Tests and comparisons? D:

my friend owns a Gigabyte (RX480, same as this thread asks about) and myself, I own a Sapphire RX480 Nitro+. My coolers are better than the gigabytes and they are strong. As @arc_jester had said, unfortunately my friend picked the worst card, if not one of the worst RX480s.

Any proof?

I can proof mine: https://www.computerbase.de/2016-12/radeon-rx-480-partnerkarten-vergleich-test/4/

"Beim spielen" = during Gaming.

G1 is the 2nd best, after the Powercolor Red Devil.

MSI was not in the Test.

The Sapphire is 80% louder, by just 2°C lower Temperatures under Load.

And their test also claims, even in Silent Mode, it's pretty Loud.

Another very big German PC Magazine (PC Games Hardware) can confirm that.

They measure over 5.4  Sone loudness, and 4.6 Sone in silent Mode.

The Red Devil measures 2.2 sone, and 2.0 Sone in Silent mode.

Do you have found any Test, that claims otherwise? Beause i haven't :/

And according to all the Data i found, the Nitro+ is utterly Garbage, that was only sold to people, who have Sapphire's Coolers in a good memory from older models. Sadly, since their Coolers up to the R9 390X and Fury series was pretty damn good.

So the nitro+ system also uses 269 watts of total power, when the system only uses 56-60 watts? No way in hell did they get that card to use 200+ watts of power, not for a 480.

Also for the xfx GTR edition, same system using 56-60 watts but then with the gpu it uses 242? 180+ watts from the xfx 480? mine doesn't go over 120 when monitoring it in afterburner, with a 1420mhz clock speed.

That power test alone makes me not trust the rest of their tests lol.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

269 Watt is the consumption of the WHOLE System during Load. With SSD, with HDD, with Overclocked i7 CPU, and anything else.

Subsctract that, and you're getting maybe <200 watt, which sounds very realistic for a RX 480.

59 Watt is the Whole System power draw during Idling around ^^

aka, the Power that is beeing drawn out of the Wall by the PSU.

You can't monitor powerdraw very good. Use a Power draw tool, not some Kind of software, that relies on sensors you don't know how they operate.

But funny, how you don't trust a real Tool, but trust what a Software says about Power Consumption.

I don't believe, the RX 480 can draw 120 watt only under full Load. That's just completely unrealistic. Except you Undervolt and underclock it alot.

PC Games Hardware measured the Powerdraw of the GPU itself, and all RX 480 models came to 170 - 210 Watts under full Load.

So yea. 120 watt on 1420 Mhz is pretty bullshit.^^

Those 120 Watt are probably the Amount, the GPU draws only from the PCie x8 connectors yea. But over the Slot there are another 70-75 Watt. That would make sense. but 120 watt under full load... Nope. can't see that beeing true at all.

11 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

So the nitro+ system also uses 269 watts of total power, when the system only uses 56-60 watts? No way in hell did they get that card to use 200+ watts of power, not for a 480.

Also for the xfx GTR edition, same system using 56-60 watts but then with the gpu it uses 242? 180+ watts from the xfx 480? mine doesn't go over 120 when monitoring it in afterburner, with a 1420mhz clock speed.

That power test alone makes me not trust the rest of their tests lol.

I trust Jay more than them...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

My xfx black rx 480 does amazing. Cooling is stellar and the fans rev up rarely even when under load. I recommend checking out jay2centz he has a video on the card and it's a pretty good overview. 

I have seen my powercolor go over 120 watts in gpuz when under heavy load and overclocked to 1400, so I wouldnt say its impossible.  A lot of the power draw on the cards with aftermarker coolers comes from the fans running at high speed. 

Edited, meant to say 120watts, not 220.  I have never seen a system load over 280watts

Also when I have dual monitors hooked up the 480 wont let the memory downclock and that adds about 20 watts to the full system draw.  it goes from around 80 watts idle to 100watts. 

And i don't trust Jay, because he also relied on the powerdraw info from Afterburner.

Which is just an Amateur test.

Also, this Test from Jayz is completely Crapshit. He tests it on an open testbench.

oh wow, so realistisc xD

So yea.... i honestly trust multiple Sites more, that offer a complete Analysis of Measurements, instead of a  Youtuber, that has a wrong Test setup, and makes any claims about Powerdraw without a Voltage meter.

This shows me, that Jayz has zero Knowledge about how this stuff is properly Tested, and how Data is properly collected, and provided.

And yes, i have him subscriber, because he does have some pretty good videos. But those, are definitely NOT ^^

Edit: But you don't have to believe me.

I only provide Info here, i have read up in Multiple tests and comparisons, and thus i think, i can call the nitro+ a bad Model, which is louder than others.

Like i said: Show me 1 Single Test, that proofes otherwise, and compares the Nitro+ with another directly with the exact same testsetup and test szene, and which has measurements that show, the Nitro+ is not louder.

I haven't found one, and i did try to look for it.

Also, this Test from Jayz is completely Crapshit. He tests it on an open testbench.

Makes no difference whatsoever?

7 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

And i don't trust Jay, because he also relied on the powerdraw info from Afterburner.

Can you elaborate on that?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----