Dualbooting Windows and Linux

jappypack

Say I install Windows 10 on a 480GB SSD, and dual-boot it with Antergos Linux or Arch Linux and put that on a 1TB SSHD... Good idea?

I only need Windows 10 for gaming (I don't game much to begin with), I want to become a software developer which is why I want to go back to Linux.

2 minutes ago, Microsoft Master said:

Why didn't you just use a vm?

Because i want to use linux as my main os, and windows as secondary. If I use a VM, I can't use my graphics card...

Just now, jappypack said:

Because i want to use linux as my main os, and windows as secondary. If I use a VM, I can't use my graphics card...

True that but i would use one for testing of stuff that youthink is going to mess up you windows drive.

1 minute ago, jappypack said:

vm for linux?

but your case that would be a good idea. linux and windows will know that there is already an os installed.

4 hours ago, jappypack said:

Say I install Windows 10 on a 480GB SSD, and dual-boot it with Antergos Linux or Arch Linux and put that on a 1TB SSHD... Good idea?

I only need Windows 10 for gaming (I don't game much to begin with), I want to become a software developer which is why I want to go back to Linux.

Im sorry I don't understand the question really well.... You install W10 and then do dual-boot... and put that on a 1TB SSHD? How? as a Vm?

If you're asking wether it is a good idea to use dual-boot with winows and linux, sure it never isn't if you want to use Linux. I understand wanting to make it you're main OS. The Ideal set up would be to have only Linux Installed and create a vm with windows in it using GPU-Passthrough to get good perfomance in gaming in it. This has been done a lot but I've never gotten it to work. There is a good post about it in Lv1Tech, if you want I'll look through my bookmarks for it..

Good choice IMHO with Arch, or Manjaro if you don't want to manually install it.

What kind of software are you going to be using? What programming language or platform do you plan to program for?

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

1 hour ago, VicBar said:

Im sorry I don't understand the question really well.... You install W10 and then do dual-boot... and put that on a 1TB SSHD? How? as a Vm?

If you're asking wether it is a good idea to use dual-boot with winows and linux, sure it never isn't if you want to use Linux. I understand wanting to make it you're main OS. The Ideal set up would be to have only Linux Installed and create a vm with windows in it using GPU-Passthrough to get good perfomance in gaming in it. This has been done a lot but I've never gotten it to work. There is a good post about it in Lv1Tech, if you want I'll look through my bookmarks for it..

Good choice IMHO with Arch, or Manjaro if you don't want to manually install it.

What kind of software are you going to be using? What programming language or platform do you plan to program for?

Nevermind im gonna have one 2TB HDD, one 120GB SSD. I'll half both of the partitions in order to dual boot windows 10 and antergos linux (hdd for home, ssd for root etc)

21 hours ago, jappypack said:

Nevermind im gonna have one 2TB HDD, one 120GB SSD. I'll half both of the partitions in order to dual boot windows 10 and antergos linux (hdd for home, ssd for root etc)

Alright sounds like a plan. So you can read the 2TB HDD from both linux and windows if you format it in ext3, you would just need to install Ext2Fsd in windows to mount it and assign a letter to it. Or if you prefer having the 2TB HDD in ntfs, you'll need the ntfs-3g driver: "sudo pacman -S ntfs-3g".

Also.. I'm curious, why Antegros?

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

3 hours ago, VicBar said:

Alright sounds like a plan. So you can read the 2TB HDD from both linux and windows if you format it in ext3, you would just need to install Ext2Fsd in windows to mount it and assign a letter to it. Or if you prefer having the 2TB HDD in ntfs, you'll need the ntfs-3g driver: "sudo pacman -S ntfs-3g".

Also.. I'm curious, why Antegros?

Actually I'm going with Arch. What I'm planning to do is install Windows 10 normally, then partition the 60GB SSD into 30GB, as well as initialise 1TB of the 2TB HDD. Rest of the unallocated space will be used for Arch.