Office for Mac 2016 now supports Apple's latest gimmick

AlTech
9 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

f keys can be customized :dry:

It was a joke....making fun of the fact that Android allows more UI customization than iOS, which according to a lot of users here that makes Android infinitely better. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

But why do you need F keys? I mean the last time I used F keys (other than turning volume/brightness up and down on my laptop) is basically never...

I'd much rather have a physical "thing" for changing brightness and volume...

I think some Duck keyboards have a knob and you can configure the knob afaik. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

1 minute ago, cesrai said:

Duck

Ducky? 

2 minutes ago, cesrai said:

I think some Duck keyboards have a knob and you can configure the knob afaik. 

Ooooooooo, too bad I can't use it for my laptop (in the sense as it's the built in keyboard) and I already have an external sound card handling the duties of volume control so... :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ducky? 

Ooooooooo, too bad I can't use it for my laptop (in the sense as it's the built in keyboard) and I already have an external sound card handling the duties of volume control so... :P 

Yeah Ducky.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I see Apple not bothering with touch screen and go straight with eye tracking or mind control in their future their laptops.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Let's be honest, nobody in that category has any use for either of those methods. They'll just click on the menus or right click. People who use stuff like after effects are going to learn the hotkeys anyway.

I'd say depends. It could save some screen real estate for instance by moving the dials and what not to it.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 hours ago, atrash said:

^very bold statement. Not sure an informed one or just trolling.

I strongly dislike the touchbar. Sue me.

It's completely unnecessary and removes the function keys. I happen to use the function row of keys almost every single day on my Pro 4's type cover.

I also happen to care about battery life which the touchbar does not enable.

I still don't understand why would you want a touch screen on MacOS? Do you even use a macbook on daily basis? Like strictly only MacOS? There's absolutely no significant reason to have touchscreen when the trackpad alone is so much superior in navigating in the os.

I don't anymore.

I'm annoyed right now that I have to deal with having touch on one device and not on the all of them.

Having touch on a laptop and yet not having that as an option on other devices is annoying. It's just a back and forth between input devices and is annoying.

The tracking, the click, the gesture controls..

I've kind of given up on a lot of trackpads.

Providing a touch screen is always (to my mind) a nice backup or +1 because it can act as a substitute for when OEMs don't know how to make trackpad properly.

This ain't a convertible. And have you tried the touch bar?

Have I felt it?

Yes. I have touched it with the laptop turned off. It seems like an incredibly useless thing.

I would never ever use it and then on top of that this is at the expensive of the function keys.

Is so god damn useful to have when softwares have proper support for it.

What do you want the touchbar to do?

Replace keyboard shortcuts? No, that's what muscle memory is for.

And Windows is still shit at touch screen fyi. Useable but not I would use everyday.

The only reason I don't use mine more often is due to a lot of terrible Win32 programs not being optimized for touch.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

And touchscreens still suck on laptops. It's awkward and uncomfortable at best to have to reach up at the screen and Mac OS / Windows 7/8/10 UI's are all garbage for touch anyway (especially at higher resolutions). I genuinely hate using the touchscreen on my SP3 (other than when I'm writing with the pen) and only ever use it because the typecover's trackpad is so much worse than garbage.

You do realise that since 2010/2011 we've had laptops which have the screen fold 360o, or twist then fold back? Enabling you to use the laptop as a drawing tablet and so on (especially if its one of the models with a digitiser pen). Also, accuracy depends on who the manufacture of the touchscreen is (Waccom is the best)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm sorry but i'm just tired of Apple's ignorance and refusal to put a touchscreen on a laptop.

They have an iPad for that

16 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

You do realise that since 2010/2011 we've had laptops which have the screen fold 360o, or twist then fold back? Enabling you to use the laptop as a drawing tablet and so on (especially if its one of the models with a digitiser pen). Also, accuracy depends on who the manufacture of the touchscreen is (Waccom is the best)

Yes, and Macs are not convertible -- and neither are most laptops (even those with touchscreens). And that still doesn't preclude the fact that no desktop OS offers a particularly good touch experience. The SP3 has one of the best touchscreens, and it's still a terrible experience. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

32 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I've kind of given up on a lot of trackpads.

Providing a touch screen is always (to my mind) a nice backup or +1 because it can act as a substitute for when OEMs don't know how to make trackpad properly.

Good thing Apple's trackpads are nearly perfect. They're spacious, they don't feel like crap, they have virtually perfect palm rejection, gestures work well and are consistently recognized, and they are durable. 

Touchscreens are good for when the trackpad is shit, like you said, but Mac's don't suffer from trackpad issues (neither do a few other high end laptops -- XPS 13/15 for example). 

Have I felt it?

Yes. I have touched it with the laptop turned off. It seems like an incredibly useless thing.

I would never ever use it and then on top of that this is at the expensive of the function keys.

What do you want the touchbar to do?

So you're complaining about something without having ever tried it....nice. For all you know the touchbar isn't much more awkward than traditional function keys and you could even find some benefits to it. I personally don't use the function keys all that much, and when I do I generally have to look down slightly because I can't just drop my finger on f5 blindfolded -- yet I can still type at over 100wpm. So the added flexibility offered by the touchbar would be great for me. 

The only reason I don't use mine more often is due to a lot of terrible Win32 programs not being optimized for touch.

It's a good thing that most programs for Windows/Mac OS are designed with touch in mind....oh wait. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

41 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yes, and Macs are not convertible -- and neither are most laptops (even those with touchscreens). And that still doesn't preclude the fact that no desktop OS offers a particularly good touch experience. The SP3 has one of the best touchscreens, and it's still a terrible experience. 

Point is, we've had Windows based PC for years that are convertible, giving a good touchscreen experience. And what are you trying to do? Because with my old Asus U38N (1080p IPS tocuhscreen), its touchscreen is actually good (and its a Waccom just like the SP3). I can easily scroll through and resize documents with 1 hand far faster than with a mouse, I can write notes on it directly all without having to use the trackpad (which sucks, as most new ones do). And then there is the Touhcsmart TM2 and Elitebook 2760p, both of which have the screen twist and fold, allowing even easier note taking/drawing/annotations/signing-and navigating isn't a problem with Windows 10's tablet mode.

37 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It's a good thing that most programs for Windows/Mac OS are designed with touch in mind....oh wait. 

Programs don't always need to be designed with touch in mind. As it is, Office 2003 for example works just fine with a touchsreen.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Point is, we've had Windows based PC for years that are convertible, giving a good touchscreen experience. And what are you trying to do? Because with my old Asus U38N (1080p IPS tocuhscreen), its touchscreen is actually good (and its a Waccom just like the SP3). I can easily scroll through and resize documents with 1 hand far faster than with a mouse, I can write notes on it directly all without having to use the trackpad (which sucks, as most new ones do). And then there is the Touhcsmart TM2 and Elitebook 2760p, both of which have the screen twist and fold, allowing even easier note taking/drawing/annotations/signing-and navigating isn't a problem with Windows 10's tablet mode.

Programs don't always need to be designed with touch in mind. As it is, Office 2003 for example works just fine with a touchsreen.

Convertibles give a good touchscreen experience except in those applications that don't have a good UI for touch -- take web browsing (or almost any interactive app) for example. Office is fine on a touchscreen (other than the fact that a touchscreen keyboard is mediocre at best) because you don't really need to interact with any small elements like you do in many other applications (ex: web browsing). 

The SP3 has a great touchscreen, but the problem is that Windows/programs don't utilize it well. I use my SP3 for taking notes and general internet use. The only reason why I ever use the touchscreen (other than when I'm writing notes) is because the trackpad on the typecover is just so incredibly bad, but I would still vastly prefer a good trackpad to the touchscreen (again, I'm separating pen-based note taking).

Stylus-based note taking/drawing is really the only use I've found where a touchscreen (with good stylus support) is superior to an amazing trackpad. In all other cases, I'd never use a touchscreen if the trackpad/keyboard are good (which they are on Macs).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

11 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm sorry but i'm just tired of Apple's ignorance and refusal to put a touchscreen on a laptop.

Windows laptops have had this since 2013. This is 2017. I'm still disappointed for the 4th consecutive year about the same damn issue.

Why does it matter?    A touchscreen on a laptop is a bad idea.  Two words: oily fingerprints. ?

Also any touchscreen laptop I ever saw the screen wasn't stable when you'd press on it.  Like it would make the screen wobble and stuff when you tried to use the touchscreen.  Because that's nice and totally fine on the hinges to be constantly poking the screen.  ?

Not to mention that with Apple's "we can charge anything and the customer will pay it" pricing you know that a touchscreen option on any Mac would increase the cost by several hundred dollars far beyond what would be reasonable.  

Besides, aren't you a Windows supporter anyway?

11 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Apple is not planning for touchscreen laptops. Maybe one day, they will have it.

That's because no matter what the issue is Apple does what it wants and doesn't care what anyone thinks.  It's the pew whatever pie of the computer world.  (I won't validate that moron by saying his username correctly)

54 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That's because no matter what the issue is Apple does what it wants and doesn't care what anyone thinks.  It's the pew whatever pie of the computer world.  (I won't validate that moron by saying his username correctly)

At least they are brave enough to do it and see where it leads to. Success takes risk. If others are scared in taking risk, by not doing something different, then they have, basically just given up on innovating. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Touchscreens are good for when the trackpad is shit, like you said, but Mac's don't suffer from trackpad issues (neither do a few other high end laptops -- XPS 13/15 for example). 

Not a fan of the XPS Trackpad -_-.

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

So you're complaining about something without having ever tried it....nice. For all you know the touchbar isn't much more awkward than traditional function keys and you could even find some benefits to it.

my dad owns one. I doubt he's ever uses the touchbar.

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why does it matter?    A touchscreen on a laptop is a bad idea.  Two words: oily fingerprints. ?

Oily? No. Fingerprints don't need to be cleaned off that often.

Also any touchscreen laptop I ever saw the screen wasn't stable when you'd press on it.  Like it would make the screen wobble and stuff when you tried to use the touchscreen.  Because that's nice and totally fine on the hinges to be constantly poking the screen.  ?

That's because people try to copy apple and make the screen portion too thin.

Not to mention that with Apple's "we can charge anything and the customer will pay it" pricing you know that a touchscreen option on any Mac would increase the cost by several hundred dollars far beyond what would be reasonable.  

Besides, aren't you a Windows supporter anyway?

supporter?

I use Windows on a daily basis. If that constitutes being a supporter then I don't know what isn't.

That's because no matter what the issue is Apple does what it wants and doesn't care what anyone thinks. 

Yes it does. It cares what those hipster journalists with too much money who are in the middle of their mid life crisis think.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

10 hours ago, cesrai said:

It does. It's just that you hate Apple so you refuse to acknowledge that.

Now when did I say I hate apple?

I'd like to use macOS if it wasn't locked down to their hardware.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

my dad owns one. I doubt he's ever uses the touchbar.

And I'm sure he would have used the traditional function row much more. And just because he doesn't use it doesn't mean others won't. Just check out the peripherals section, plenty of people are willing to pay more to have a volume wheel like what's on the K70, or for macro keys, or for TKL/60%/etc... 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It's the pew whatever pie of the computer world.  (I won't validate that moron by saying his username correctly)

Oh boy you really showed him! That doesn't seem extremely petty to you? 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

At least they are brave enough to do it and see where it leads to. Success takes risk. If others are scared in taking risk, by not doing something different, then they have, basically just given up on innovating. 

Apple doesn't innovate though.  It makes changes for the sake of changes and forces people to accept what it thinks good.  

Example: Don't like the touchbar?  Tough cookies.

Want a GTX 1070 in a Mac?  No deal.

Want to be able to replace the HDD in a MBP or mini?  ? Don't care.  

Do your own repairs?  Kiss both your warranty and I'm pretty sure your in Apple Store support goodbye.

I could go on and on.  

I might have an iPhone, an iPad, and yes a 2011 mini but I have some issues with apple's business sense.  

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Oily? No. Fingerprints don't need to be cleaned off that often.

That's because people try to copy apple and make the screen portion too thin.

supporter?

I use Windows on a daily basis. If that constitutes being a supporter then I don't know what isn't.

Yes it does. It cares what those hipster journalists with too much money who are in the middle of their mid life crisis think.

I suspect it would need to be more often than you think.

I meant I thought you prefer Windows to MacOS.   

Great, so Apple cares only about the population of Seattle.  ?  Isn't that where hipsters come from?  lol

(Sorry if that offends anyone from Seattle.  I'm sure it's a very nice place full of glorious rain.  I like rain.)

51 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

Oh boy you really showed him! That doesn't seem extremely petty to you? 

Since my comments were directed against Apple I wasn't trying to show him.  I was comparing Apple to him.

6 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Apple doesn't innovate though.  It makes changes for the sake of changes and forces people to accept what it thinks good.  

Example: Don't like the touchbar?  Tough cookies.

Want a GTX 1070 in a Mac?  No deal.

Want to be able to replace the HDD in a MBP or mini?  ? Don't care.  

Do your own repairs?  Kiss both your warranty and I'm pretty sure your in Apple Store support goodbye.

I could go on and on.  

I might have an iPhone, an iPad, and yes a 2011 mini but I have some issues with apple's business sense. 

Don't like their business sense, then don't buy their products. No one is forcing you to buy it. Have a problem with a certain company, then look in the mirror and yell at yourself for supporting it. If Apple haven't gone with adopting USB C or thunderbolt. I doubt there will anything devices right now that uses it, and these technologies will just be left to rot. Instead of bashing a company like OP, you need to thank Apple for pushing new things out, where on the PC side, they're too afraid to do it. 

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

There is not need for a touch screen laptop especially on MacOS.

The trackpad + gestures on top of the keyboard shortcuts is something already way efficient than a touchscreen

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

14 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

No one is forcing you to buy it

luxury tax.png

LMAO

Please don't kill me xD.

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Don't like their business sense, then don't buy their products. No one is forcing you to buy it. Have a problem with a certain company, then look in the mirror and yell at yourself for supporting it. If Apple haven't gone with adopting USB C or thunderbolt. I doubt there will anything devices right now that uses it, and these technologies will just be left to rot. Instead of bashing a company like OP, you need to thank Apple for pushing new things out, where on the PC side, they're too afraid to do it. 

I like my iPhone because I find droid to be rather not user friendly and intuitive.  

I like my iPad because again not droid and since getting an iPhone pairs with it very well for things like iMessage.

Neither of these points negates my right to dislike of their computer design ideas.  I only have a mini for messing around with which I bought used so Apple didn't see a penny from me for it.

New?  If new means soldered in place SSDs and batteries and last year's hardware I'll take old thank you.  

Apple seems to always be months to a year behind PC in hardware found in their computers from what I've seen.  

Their claim to fame is fancy shells for their computers that they keep changing even though many people said no we don't like what you're doing please stop.  

Thunderbolt is only used by Apple unless I'm mistaken?  

USB-C?  My desktop has USB C on my Z170 board that was released sometime in fall 2015 I think it was.  Before Apple decide to piss people off with its USB-C only laptop.  

Apple has done good things but it's also done a lot of stupid things but people are stuck with it if they want to use the OS.