Office for Mac 2016 now supports Apple's latest gimmick

AlTech

Microsoft has announced that Office for Mac 2016 now supports Apple's latest gimmick, the Touch Bar :(.

office-mac-touchbar.jpg

Microsoft's Office suite for Mac now supports Apple's latest MacBook pro feature (or gimmick, depending on your view): the Touch Bar. Microsoft originally announced it would support the Touch Bar back in October and began testing integration earlier this month on Office Insiders. Now support is rolling out to all Office for Mac users.

With Touch Bar support, Office apps ranging from Word to PowerPoint and Excel can now display some handy little formatting tools on the strip above the keyboard. One particularly useful feature appears in Word, where a user can enter Focus Mode to eliminate on-screen distractions like ribbons and commands while still having access to formatting tools on the Touch Bar.

Meanwhile, Excel will let you select from the most recently used functions on the Touch Bar, while PowerPoint will let you manipulate graphical elements and reorder slides. Of course, Outlook users can also take advantage of the Touch Bar, with the app serving up common commands, a list of recent documents while composing an email, and a shortcut to join a Skype for Business meeting with a tap.

Dear Apple,

Have you ever heard of the gold ol' mouse and keyboard?

Was that too legacy for you?

Did you think adding a touch bar to remove the necessity of a touch screen was courageous?

Cos I certainly didn't.

Sincerely,

Al

http://www.windowscentral.com/office-mac-rolls-out-support-macbook-pros-touch-bar

Edited by AluminiumTech
cleaned up post

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

It's nice seeing MS adapt to the new Mac. It may actually be useful depending if the touch-bar works as intended and doesn't go ham.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Because it is better not support a feature right? Let's bash a company because of an option you don't like on a product you never intended on buying. And if you want to bash someone, bash MS because they added support to Office, it was not Apple. But that will never happen. 

Of all things, I actully like the touch bar, which I didn't like in the beginning. It is good they started supporting, it could bring a lot of benefits and improvements. 

Have you ever heard of 'good ol' mouse and keyboard? Why add touchscreens to laptops and not stick to that? 

It is good if everyone starts supporting everything, instead of locking features out. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

14 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Have you ever heard of 'good ol' mouse and keyboard? Why add touchscreens to laptops and not stick to that right? 

Agreed 100% with this. If we never changed things or inovated we would never get anywhere. Just because someone doesnt like an idea, concept, or product doenst mean that it wasnt an improvement in some form or fashion.

If you dont like it. Dont buy it. I agree with Bouzoo that it is good that Microsoft is supporting a new hardware spec so quickly after a product launch. Normally with Office it takes years for them to get behind a product change.

Office support for Mac has historically been poor but its good to see them pushing Apple's new features. 

Finding something negative out of all the positive and gripe about it, is pathetic. A person with a attitude like this, is not qualified to be a tech. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

6 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Finding something negative out of all the positive and gripe about it, is pathetic. A person with a attitude like this, is not qualified to be a tech. 

I'm sorry but i'm just tired of Apple's ignorance and refusal to put a touchscreen on a laptop.

Windows laptops have had this since 2013. This is 2017. I'm still disappointed for the 4th consecutive year about the same damn issue.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm sorry but i'm just tired of Apple's ignorance and refusal to put a touchscreen on a laptop.

Windows laptops have had this since 2013. This is 2017. I'm still disappointed for the 4th consecutive year about the same damn issue.

Apple is not planning for touchscreen laptops. Maybe one day, they will have it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

My 2012 vintage Asus U38 has a 1080p IPS touchscreen, and my Mum's 2010/2011 HP Touchsmart TM2 had a touchscreen (wacom with digitiser pen). BTW-that U38N cost around a third of the price of a Macbook in 2012.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

A lot of people have been saying things like this: This is 20XX, and Apple is still at 20XX. 

Really??? Just because other machines had touch screen don't mean that they are better. 

i've got my hands on a surface book the other day. It was a nice machine to have.

Mark my word, now most of the customer laughed at the touch bar. 

x years later , when apple kills off all laptops without touch bar, people will be like : "how did we survive  those years when we have to use machines without touchbar??" 

I'm not saying apple is the king of everything , but it is good to step back a little bit and look at things differently. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Bet 10$ that if it was the surface to come with the touch bar this thread would start like this:

Microsoft has announced that Office 2016 now supports the Surface latest feature, the Touch Bar:) 

Good job MS. Amazing! Anyways, the Touch bar truly is  the greatest MS invention ever.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

If I got a touch bar all I would do is have the Nyan cat play on it.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

And touchscreens still suck on laptops. It's awkward and uncomfortable at best to have to reach up at the screen and Mac OS / Windows 7/8/10 UI's are all garbage for touch anyway (especially at higher resolutions). I genuinely hate using the touchscreen on my SP3 (other than when I'm writing with the pen) and only ever use it because the typecover's trackpad is so much worse than garbage.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, Kierax said:

If I got a touch bar all I would do is have the Nyan cat play on it.

How about Doom?

I mean is there for the talkie types that constantly seek out help for even the most basic office tasks but for most of us is all about keyboard short cuts and macros (both combined for extra effect)

-------

Current Rig

-------

14 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Bet 10$ that if it was the surface to come with the touch bar this thread would start like this:

Microsoft has announced that Office 2016 now supports the Surface latest feature, the Touch Bar:) 

Good job MS. Amazing! Anyways, the Touch bar truly is  the greatest MS invention ever.

Don't be silly. The touch bar serves no real purpose.

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And touchscreens still suck on laptops. It's awkward and uncomfortable at best to have to reach up at the screen and Mac OS / Windows 7/8/10 UI's are all garbage for touch anyway (especially at higher resolutions). I genuinely hate using the touchscreen on my SP3 (other than when I'm writing with the pen) and only ever use it because the typecover's trackpad is so much worse than garbage.

maybe for you. But using touch for me is just fine.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

you're only saying this because it didn't come out of ms's arse. Don't try to deny it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

And for others the Touch Bar is far more convenient. I'd personally take the Touch Bar over a touch screen any day. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

you're only saying this because it didn't come out of ms's arse. Don't try to deny it

If apple made their pencil (which has no eraser on it lol) work with the MBP then I would applaud apple.

If apple made a circular form of input similar to surface dial then i'd be happy to acknowledge apple.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

If apple made their pencil (which has no eraser on it lol) work with the MBP then I would applaud apple.

If apple made a circular form of input similar to surface dial then i'd be happy to acknowledge apple.

if ms did the touchbar before apple and panos showed everyone how amazing and creator focused this new piece of shit is, your post would start exactly like i said above

38 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I think you're looking at this from a wrong angle. It has a tremendous purpose. The touch bar (luckily) doesn't have specific locked set of "keys" that are the same for every program, you can customize it for every app differently. If you use MKB or touchscreen, you still have to use some functions which might need 2, 3 or even more clicks, and this way you can just use an instant shortcut. Have a different set of shortcuts for Word, Excel, Power Point, you name, it is quite convenient. Don't like that and you want the traditional F keys? You can use all of those. I would much rather have for instance volume slider, brightness control and audio control instantly than use fn+F11/F12 every time, and for that I need 2 hands. That is just one example.

I'd rather also touch that bar than my screen which I'm super sensitive for. But in reality, those 2 cannot be compared, this was just an example of purpose that Touch Bar has.

37 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It does. It's just that you hate Apple so you refuse to acknowledge that.

38 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

So it's a subjective matter. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

46 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

So basically if Apple made devices similar to Microsoft you would acknowledge them and If they try anything new then they are shit?

I would any day use a touchbar over a touchscreen I dont see the appeal of putting fingerprints on my laptops screen, but thats just me different people like different things.

Personally I don't have a real issue with the Touch Bar.... It's fairly practical; if you're doing something trivial and repetitive in an application, having a 'key' for it on your keyboard is nice - rather than having to bind a macro to your key (if you have that ability). 

Maybe next time when you write a news thread, focus more on adding your own input into the news article, rather than using it as a convoy for your hatred for the Touch Bar. The point of this is Microsoft adding support for Office on Mac Touch Bars, whereas all your input is: 

Microsoft has announced that Office for Mac 2016 now supports Apple's latest gimmick, the Touch Bar :(.

God damnit Apple. Really? Anyways, for my sanity I will pretend the Touch bar does not exist because it is the stupidest Apple invention ever.

Dear Apple,

Have you ever heard of the gold ol' mouse and keyboard?

Was that too legacy for you?

Did you think adding a touch bar to remove the necessity of a touch screen was courageous?

Cos I certainly didn't.

Sincerely,
Al