GPU? or Monitor?

WindowsXP16
Go to solution Solved by Praesi,
38 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

BUT! Since you have one with DVI you should go with the GPU because today's games are continuously developing and getting better and better and in no time your GPU will be outdated, like mine.

In fact, GPU´s last longer than anytime before. His Monitor sucks and he should replace it asap.

I currently have an ancient Samsung SyncMaster 940B from 2005 and still works perfectly. It is a 720p monitor with a 5:4 aspect ratio (its a square). My GPU is the Radeon R7 360 and I'm feeling its a bit weak for the games I play like BF1 but I can run the game at high settings. But then again its because the card doesn't have to work that hard with the monitor.

So what should I do? Upgrade my monitor to something decent or upgrade my GPU to something like an RX 480.

My budget is around $400 AUD.

New Monitor, no doubt. Time to leave the Stoneage Dude ;)

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

24 minutes ago, WindowsXP16 said:

I currently have an ancient Samsung SyncMaster 940B from 2005 and still works perfectly. It is a 720p monitor with a 5:4 aspect ratio (its a square). My GPU is the Radeon R7 360 and I'm feeling its a bit weak for the games I play like BF1 but I can run the game at high settings. But then again its because the card doesn't have to work that hard with the monitor.

So what should I do? Upgrade my monitor to something decent or upgrade my GPU to something like an RX 480.

My budget is around $400 AUD.

I had the same issue a few weeks ago and I decided to go with the GPU first because I was running on a GT430 2gigs and it really SUCKS, so I took some weeks off to research what GPU and if I can use it with my actual monitor using an adapter. An ancient Daewoo 17" LCD with ONLY VGA. I decided to buy a 1050ti OC windforce because of its price(around 200$), it finally arrived and when I installed it, SURPRISE! Even if connected with an active adapter, the monitor will stay BLACK. I tested it on a HDMI monitor(a good friend of mine has one) and it works on everything else than the HDMI to VGA active adapter. Now I am gathering money to buy a monitor. BUT! Since you have one with DVI you should go with the GPU because today's games are continuously developing and getting better and better and in no time your GPU will be outdated, like mine.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

38 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

BUT! Since you have one with DVI you should go with the GPU because today's games are continuously developing and getting better and better and in no time your GPU will be outdated, like mine.

In fact, GPU´s last longer than anytime before. His Monitor sucks and he should replace it asap.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

8 minutes ago, Praesi said:

The monitor isn't as crispy as my laptops so I guess that settles it. I will get a new monitor thanks.

3 minutes ago, WindowsXP16 said:

The monitor isn't as crispy as my laptops so I guess that settles it. I will get a new monitor thanks.

Although you already settled for the monitor, I just wanted to say that this is a good decision.  A quality 1080p display will improve the experience way more than a gpu that could display a beautiful image, but  can't due to the lack of a matching display.  

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

1 hour ago, WindowsXP16 said:

You will not regret it. Modern Displays are nice and the new ratio will add so much to your experience.

Think about how long you have this Monitor, and see how many YEARS it worked. And still does.

do NOT buy a 1080p Monitor anymore, except you're on a very tight budget.

Make the Jump up to 1440p, for example: Dell U2515H.

Excellent Monitor, incredible Sharp, very good colors, since it's a very good calibrated 8 bit IPS Panel.

Don't lower your Monitor choice just because of the GPU you have NOW. Your Monitor will remain, even after you upgraded your GPU like 3-4 additional Times.

1080p is already quite outdated, and "uninteresting".

If you can fit a 1440p Monitor in your Budget, go for it. And just reduce Settings for playable fps.

GPUs don't last even half as long, as Monitors. so don't take a compromise there.

New GPU. Once you have upgraded the GPU you can save up for the monitor because apart from the 5:4 aspect ratio thats still a better monitor that my old monitor. My reccomendation is the same one I have. The Acer G246HL availible here from Amazon US but easily changed to Amazon UK or whereever you live.

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

But untill that new Monitor comes, he will benefit like not at all from a new GPU^^

If he can play BF on high smooth atm, there won't be much improvement. He would just purchase a new GPU, get a few more fps in games maybe, and that's it. Beause the old Monitor doesn't require much power at all.

However, if he gets a new Monitor first, he will struggle more in Games (because much higher Resolution. But you can always reduce settings, and even resolution), but in Desktop usage, he will benefit from the Monitor 100% ^^

3 hours ago, Darkseth said:

But untill that new Monitor comes, he will benefit like not at all from a new GPU^^

If he can play BF on high smooth atm, there won't be much improvement. He would just purchase a new GPU, get a few more fps in games maybe, and that's it. Beause the old Monitor doesn't require much power at all.

However, if he gets a new Monitor first, he will struggle more in Games (because much higher Resolution. But you can always reduce settings, and even resolution), but in Desktop usage, he will benefit from the Monitor 100% ^^

How about I get an Viewsonic 24" VX2457-MHD and save the rest of the money for a better GPU. I cant find any 1440p monitors that fit I'm my budget (monitors in Australia are expensive).

hmm that one is "ok".

But if you go in that price range, i would get an IPS Monitor. with 75 Hz and Freesync^^ Samsung and LG have IPS models, with 72 or 75 Hz Freesync cap.

I know many people will disagree with me, but I find that 1440p and 4k are not really that much of a game changer. And considering that the opportunity wants either a new monitor or a new gpu, it seems like he/she won't have the budget for a true 1440p capable gpu. So that would be my first reason against anything higher than 1080p IN THIS CASE. 

Personally I have had four  monitors fairly shortly one after the other. I came from a 24" Samsung TN, to the Dell 2515H, then a PB287q and finally I got an Ultrawide LG29UM67. I liked both the Dell as well as the PB287Q, but the actual game changer for me was the ultrawide despite the meager 1080 vertical pixels. When you actually play games, it doesn't make that big of a difference.  However if you go for anything bigger than 24", yes then get at least a 1440p panel. 

I really don't feel like 1080p is dead. You still pay about 200 bucks for a 1080p gpu for everything ultra at about 60fps and a decent monitor also costs around 150. That is not super cheap for a budget gamer, so why should he/she get a 1440p display for the price of a simple 1080p display and a gpu for it combined?  Consider the rx470 and a simple 1080p panel. That will cost you as much as a Dell 2515.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

5 hours ago, Darkseth said:

hmm that one is "ok".

But if you go in that price range, i would get an IPS Monitor. with 75 Hz and Freesync^^ Samsung and LG have IPS models, with 72 or 75 Hz Freesync cap.

But I also play competitive games like CS-GO and apparently IPS panels is only good for photo editing not so much on response times.

2 hours ago, WindowsXP16 said:

But I also play competitive games like CS-GO and apparently IPS panels is only good for photo editing not so much on response times.

Yes if you play counterstrike etc., you might be better off with a faster TN panel. However I guess that mostly makes sense when you look at higher refresh rates as well. 

How much are you willing to spend anyways?

24 minutes ago, mapegl said:

Yes if you play counterstrike etc., you might be better off with a faster TN panel. However I guess that mostly makes sense when you look at higher refresh rates as well. 

How much are you willing to spend anyways?

I was going to spend 400$ on either GPU or monitor but now I'm thinking into buying a monitor at around 200$ and saving the rest to get a better GPU once I have enough for something high-end.

9 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

AU $425

29" 1080p Ultrawide + IPS + 75Hz + Freesync

AU $400

24" 1080p TN + 144Hz + Freesync

Unfortunately your R7 360 is not able to take advantage if Freesync.

You will once you get a better AMD card.

Don't split your money to get both items at once. You're better off getting one excellent product that will last you much longer.

Hope this helps.

Well I found this AOC 24" G2460VQ6 its half the price of the second option, only difference is this one has 75hz refresh is this any good?

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Sacrificing IPS colors for a 75Hz TN panel?

Not a wise choice IMO. Many 60Hz IPS panels can be overclocked to 75Hz. My U2414H does.

If you're really on a pinch and saving up from scratch for a graphics card is going to take forever, then I say just get an IPS display and overclock it.

I shouldn't have to tell you what to get if you play shooters competitively. Do you?

But IPS don't have the best response time (5ms at best) and the monitor you recommend me has 14ms which might be too much of a delay.

When I was talking about this:

22 minutes ago, WindowsXP16 said:

Well I found this AOC 24" G2460VQ6 its half the price of the second option, only difference is this one has 75hz refresh is this any good?

Before you gave me an option of this: 24" 1080p TN + 144Hz + Freesync and that was what I was comparing it with not the IPS panel.

I guess I can put IPS panels into consideration.

23 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I suppose you could settle for the G2460VQ6 and then save up a bit more for an RX 470. However that leaves you with two intermediate products that you will probably want to replace again anyway. That is a wasteful prospect. As someone like you who plays games as a hobby, I can tell you from experience that you'll be better off with a baller display first and then upgrading the GPU to something good later. Of course if you know that you won't be able to afford a new GPU in the near future after spending $400 now, then I guess it can't be helped. I'm all for making wise long term decisions and recommend the LG ultrawide.

I wont have any space for the ultrawide anyway. Here is a pic of my gaming setup. Its nothing high end but as you can see, things are quite cramped. If I do get a standard 24" 16:9 monitor I can easily shift my pc down the desk. I was considering an ultrawide curved but as mentioned above I wont have space. BTW my monitor is 19"

17020009.jpg

17 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

You can fit two of your square monitors side by side even without taking down the PC... There's space for a 29"

Its just a question of whether you desire a big monitor or not.

The wider viewing angle could prove really useful in shooters, like you can spot a tank approaching from the side before you get flattened.

There's also the benefit when not playing games. IPS will really bring out the color in images and videos. Ultrawide eliminates the black letterboxing in movies, and the extra screen space literally lets you work on two browser windows or documents at the same time. You will get the full benefit of a new IPS monitor for as long as your PC is turned on, even before playing games. This is why getting the monitor first is the better choice.

Actually measuring the table with a tape measure, I'm pretty convinced I can get a large monitor. I found this: http://www.msy.com.au/sa/adelaide/peripherals/13871-aoc-28-u2868pqu-4k-uhd-3840x2160-1ms-pivot-dl-dvi-hdmi-mhl-dp-led-backlight-lcd-monitor.html

Looks perfect and the monitor fits right into my budget. Its not ultra-wide but its 4k with free-sync and a 1ms response. Plus this store is only a 2hr drive from where I live so I guess this is what I'm going to get.

Edit: my current gpu will get crippled by this.

Check if there's an IPS panel with 4k.

i personally wouldn't buy 28" with TN panel, because the bigger teh screens, the more you will notice the Viewing angles.

With IPS, 4k and even with Freesync should cost 400 dollar~

GPU is no problem. In desktop you can use the resolution as a 100% benefit.

In Games, you can either go down with settings, or play in 1080p.

Since UHD is exactly 4x 1080p, it will scale perfectly, without looking weird. Untill you get a better GPU.

Edit: However, go check it out. If you don't see anything wrong with it, and you're fine with the TN Disadvantages, go for it :)