Choosing a new minotor

Nicohero

Hello everyone,

I currently have a dual monitor set up with one 27 inch 2650 x 1440p monitor and a 24 inch 1920 x 1080p monitor both @60Hz. I'd like to make my desk cleaner and therefor want to buy an ultra wide monitor but I have a hard time deciding what I want: or an ultra wide with 1080p resolution but high refresh rate or an ultra wide with 1440p resolution but 60Hz refresh rate. 

I am not a hardcore gamer and play a lot of different games but not a lot of shooter games.

I sit around 2.2 feet (70cm) away from my monitors and have an intel I5 6600k and EVGA 1070 FTW.

Thank you for helping me out here :)

6 hours ago, huilun02 said:

My dear American friend,

Seeing as you already have a a 27" 1440 display, I suggest the ultrawide also be 1440p.

Here's a list of options

They are all 3440x1440, 34" IPS panels.

Those with Gsync cost quite a bit more.

Thank you for the fast response!

First: I'm not Amercian but that is not important :D

So in your opinion I'd benefit more from a higher resolution instead of higher refresh rate?

And do recommend saving some more money for Gsync or not?

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

You're welcome :)

It is important because the same item does not sell for the same price, or is available, in all regions.

When dealing with someone who does not disclose his location/country/nationality I will assume he/she is from the US as that is the majority of forum users.

At the very least it allows me to provide a context for pricing with regards to product suggestions.

Yes, because as you have said, you don't play hardcore or many shooter games. You also seem intent on replacing your two existing monitors. You will be at a loss in terms of screen real estate if you go down to a single 1080p ultrawide. In fact a 1080p ultrawide is less pixels than your current 1440p display alone. DO not spend money for a downgrade. At a 70cm viewing distance, a 34" screen will nicely occupy your field of vision.

It depends on how much more a Gsync 1440p ultrawide is going to cost you (remember, the price difference in the US is not the same where you are)

Whether a Gsync is within your budget. If it isn't, for how long will you have to save up and the sacrifices you have to make.

All I can say is that Gsync will be beneficial because screen tearing will be apparent for a 1070 at 1440p ultrawide. You will not have the framerate to use Fastsync and enabling vsync will have a severe impact on performance. Also one thing to note, the Gsync models (Acer X34 and Asus PG348Q) are capable of higher refresh rate, 75Hz and 100Hz respectively.

I am not trying to entice you to go for Gsync. It is important that you weigh the pros and cons, spend within your means. In my opinion Gsync displays are outrageously expensive and definitely not a trivial sum for vast majority of people. However if you do have the money and not have to worry about other more important expenses, then yes you are in a good position to consider these expensive items.

Honestly, this response is more than I expected to get which is great!

I live in Belgium and a lot of products that are available in the US are also available here, unfortunatly everything is more expensive...

The monitor is not that urgent so I can wait a while and save more money for monitors with Gsync but will a gtx 1070 even reach 80-100fps with the settings turned down to high @that resolution? I cannot find benchmarks of AAA games on an ultrawide with settins lower than ultra.