How much VRAM do I need?

So I'm set on the RX 480 for my PC build, but I can't decide if I should go with the 4GB card or future-proof and go with the 8GB card. For the moment, I'll just be gaming at 1080p and editing video at 1080p (but possibly editing 4K video in the future). What kind of impact will my VRAM have on any of this? Is 8GB of RAM just flat out overkill for someone working primarily with 1080p video?

Sidenote: I will be using three 1080p monitors in a triple monitor setup. I figure that's important to the discussion. 

Instructions unclear, dick stuck in CPU socket.

i'd put it like this: it wont as much impact performance, as it does impact "future-resistance".

i'd say theres a defenate move towards the >4GB vram market in game design, so if you want your card to stay relevant for longer you're better off going 8GB, if you plan to be replacing it faster (lets say notably less than 2 years from now) you could consider "cheaping out" and save some money for something else, or towards a future upgrade.

i have 2gb of vram and i edit 1080p videos with no problems, since ur using multiple monitors i would definately go for the 8 gig option.

I run multiple browsers on 3 monitors and borderless windowed mode on CS:GO (max settings @ 120fps). My card has only 3.5gb of vRAM. 

So I would say even 2gb is enough.

Don't talk about stale memes.

8 hours ago, dpmonst3r said:

So I'm set on the RX 480 for my PC build, but I can't decide if I should go with the 4GB card or future-proof and go with the 8GB card. For the moment, I'll just be gaming at 1080p and editing video at 1080p (but possibly editing 4K video in the future). What kind of impact will my VRAM have on any of this? Is 8GB of RAM just flat out overkill for someone working primarily with 1080p video?

Sidenote: I will be using three 1080p monitors in a triple monitor setup. I figure that's important to the discussion. 

I'm actually doing the same, and i'm going for the 8gb because that's what i was advised and i've tested some games like watch dogs 2 and to run at 1920 x 1080 all ultra settings it needs just over 5gb so imma go for 8gb and hope it will last me 2-3 years 

How much you "need" depends on the Settings you want to use.

If you can't use Settings, and have to set everything on Super high Ultra +1, then 8gb.

4gb will bottleneck in 1080p in some games, when you max out settings :)

For example, Deus Ex MD, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Call of Duty Infinite Warfare (which needs LOW Textures on any 4gb Card, or it WILL stutter.)