Why are images not allowed in signatures?

H0R53
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,
10 hours ago, H0R53 said:

We've had meaningful conversations before, do I seem like they type to 'slap memes in my signature'? No, I'm not. I have a custom banner I made and I use it on Tom's Hardware and every other forum I can. It has the name and manufacturer (me and me) of my PC and some basic specs and bench info. 

I'd be happy with a 50x150 or 50x100 sig limit.

It's not going to happen because I don't like scrolling past them. I find them distracting.

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Oy, then enlighten me. That's why I'm bloody asking mate.

...what?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

2 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

Just because you think you have no reason to include images in your signature doesn't mean everyone else does.

The reason this thread was created is because OP wanted to put an image on his signature.

Give me one reason why fancy long text and quotes on signatures should be allowed. "I can't think of a single one."

I, for one, don't like the current sig limit of 40 lines. It is really excessive since most of the stuff could as well be in profile page. Color and font mess is somewhere in between. There are some people whose sigs I dislike because of too much bright colors. And ton of those with white bg and black text.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I, for one, don't like the current sig limit of 40 lines. It is really excessive since most of the stuff could as well be in profile page. Color and font mess is somewhere in between. There are some people whose sigs I dislike because of too much bright colors. And ton of those with white bg and black text.

That was exactly my point. The signatures are distracting already! Either you have all the fancy stuff allowed in signatures, or none of it. Adding images won't have much impact, since most peoples' signatures are already bloated with stuff.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

43 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

That was exactly my point. The signatures are distracting already! Either you have all the fancy stuff allowed in signatures, or none of it. Adding images won't have much impact, since most peoples' signatures are already bloated with stuff.

My primary point. Why not just limit the signatures to 10-15 lines and one (1) 50x150 image?

I can think of a few great instances where everyone could be somewhat happy with signatures. With all due respect to the forum owners, I think it's a bit silly to disable signature images when the option to disable showing signatures is already present, and having and enforcing a current signature limit that a few agree to already be excessive (more so than 10-15 lines and a 50x150 image/gif) seems kind of silly as well. It's like Trump banning Mexicans with a wall even though they can just use a ladder or make a tunnel, or use air transport. There are already tons of workarounds, like I can just start inserting the image into every post I make.

sigImage2.png

3 hours ago, H0R53 said:

My primary point. Why not just limit the signatures to 10-15 lines and one (1) 50x150 image?

I can think of a few great instances where everyone could be somewhat happy with signatures. With all due respect to the forum owners, I think it's a bit silly to disable signature images when the option to disable showing signatures is already present, and having and enforcing a current signature limit that a few agree to already be excessive (more so than 10-15 lines and a 50x150 image/gif) seems kind of silly as well. It's like Trump banning Mexicans with a wall even though they can just use a ladder or make a tunnel, or use air transport. There are already tons of workarounds, like I can just start inserting the image into every post I make.

sigImage2.png

You could, and you would get a warning for doing so. We don't allow members to manually sign off their posts (that's what the signature is for).

There's many reasons to disallow images; they increase load times (and local CPU load if animated), they're distracting, they ruin the forum's aesthetic, it's difficult to control what people put in images, and the list goes on. 

If anything, I think we should remove the options for people to use coloured text and custom fonts.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Can we just go off topic for a second and comprehend that, @iamdarkyoshi has been banned, twice in the last 24 hours, by @LinusTech?

@KayTees' Little Brother

My PC: Stepping Stones (2019)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360 HD3

RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4) Black DDR4-2133GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB

Case: Thermaltake View 27
Storage: SanDisk 2.5" 128GB SSD | Western Digital 3.5" 1TB HDD

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Displays: LG 27GL63TBenQ GW2270 21.5"

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red Switches & 2010 Razer Blackwidow w/ Cherry MX Blues Switches

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Headset: V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 LTSC

Last updated: August 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

Phone: OnePlus 7 Pro Almond (OnePlus GM1917)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" (SM-T330NU)

Previous Phones: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910W8), OnePlus 5T (OnePlus A5010), OnePlus 6 (OnePlus A6003)

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

PCPartsPicker Link: http://tiny.cc/KenTees

Last updated: April 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM

5 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

Images are way more annoying. But thats my personal opinion.

2 hours ago, H0R53 said:

Then do it.

There's just no pleasing you, is there? Its either pics allowed or nothing but plain text?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, KenTees said:

Can we just go off topic for a second and comprehend that, @iamdarkyoshi has been banned, twice in the last 24 hours, by @LinusTech?

Its perfectly normal practice as far as I know.