Why are images not allowed in signatures?

H0R53
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,
10 hours ago, H0R53 said:

We've had meaningful conversations before, do I seem like they type to 'slap memes in my signature'? No, I'm not. I have a custom banner I made and I use it on Tom's Hardware and every other forum I can. It has the name and manufacturer (me and me) of my PC and some basic specs and bench info. 

I'd be happy with a 50x150 or 50x100 sig limit.

It's not going to happen because I don't like scrolling past them. I find them distracting.

9 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

I think completely disallowing signature images is kinda...idk, but I don't really like it, but I think a halfway decent suggestion is to limit it to a 150x 450 image. I have a nice image I use for all forums I'm on that allow images and I would like to use it here.

The main reason images aren't allowed is to prevent clutter and excess bandwidth that would be incurred to mobile users. 

Your avatar has an image, how many do you need?

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Server performance and load times.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

50 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Server performance and load times.

I don't think that'll matter as long as users are able to post images directly on their posts. I mean I CAN just add the image to every single one of my posts but signatures are automatic.

What about a tiny script that only loads the image when a user clicks 'show more'? And a forum option or something "show forum signature images"? I can think of a million solutions the mass would enjoy instead of totally disabling forum signature images. Heck even forums less populated with an eighth the resources of Linus' forums display images.

I'm not trying to be an ass but when I see a hole I tend to look through it. Just not the glory holes. Never look through those.

The performance impact for slower connections is just part of the reason. When the rule was put into place, main reasons were the extra glutter images would bring, advertising or otherwise against CS material, easier links to hide... The extra glutter was main reason. 150x450 is 150px more than what a forum I have used in past had. Even its 150x300 with bright colors or lot of text felt sometimes bit over the top.

You have, besides avatars, cover picture and ability to add images into About Me section in profile. I don't see how those wouldn't be enough. The fact that we even have sigs compared to some other bigger forums is also nice thing. As for what pics I would be fine with, the CPU-Z stats banner and other such mainly text stuff might be ok. But limiting to just those would be impossible task, hence to complete ban. This is kinda same as with eBay/Craigslist link ban. Better to ban all than allow just some.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

simply put: signatures arent supposed to be the majority of the content in a thread, but rather a "small footer" in a sense you have the automated footer you can stick to an email in most email clients.

and i think we can all agree if i say it's infuriating to get a 3 line email, followed by a two page automatic footer on every reply.

not only does it increase load times for the people zipping trough the forum, it wastes bandwidth, it makes the forum look like a cluttered mess, and it makes the people using said images in their signatures look like immature idiots (since i dont expect the kind of people that would have like.. a picture of their dog there, would feel the need to have a picture of their dog there).

and if your intention is to slap memes in your signature, this isnt the place for memes in your signature, there's plenty of forums (or forum-like enviroments) that allow you to do so.

7 hours ago, manikyath said:

simply put: signatures arent supposed to be the majority of the content in a thread, but rather a "small footer" in a sense you have the automated footer you can stick to an email in most email clients.

and i think we can all agree if i say it's infuriating to get a 3 line email, followed by a two page automatic footer on every reply.

not only does it increase load times for the people zipping trough the forum, it wastes bandwidth, it makes the forum look like a cluttered mess, and it makes the people using said images in their signatures look like immature idiots (since i dont expect the kind of people that would have like.. a picture of their dog there, would feel the need to have a picture of their dog there).

and if your intention is to slap memes in your signature, this isnt the place for memes in your signature, there's plenty of forums (or forum-like enviroments) that allow you to do so.

We've had meaningful conversations before, do I seem like they type to 'slap memes in my signature'? No, I'm not. I have a custom banner I made and I use it on Tom's Hardware and every other forum I can. It has the name and manufacturer (me and me) of my PC and some basic specs and bench info. 

10 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

You really seem like the type of person who won't accept any answer provided.

So because of that your answer is: Because it's their website and they can make whatever rules/do whatever the hell they want with it.

I find it annoying to go on forums that allow flashy signatures because I miss what the post is. I like how subtle the design of the signatures are on this forum.

Images distract me from the forum and personally it'd make me stop using this website.

1 hour ago, H0R53 said:

Just because you aren't, doesn't mean others follow suite. You do know there's a portion of Linus' fanbase that is not as sophisticated as we are.

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

I find it annoying to go on forums that allow flashy signatures because I miss what the post is. I like how subtle the design of the signatures are on this forum.

Images distract me from the forum and personally it'd make me stop using this website.

That on top of all the memes that would be used.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

7 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

As I am always looking for things to break, I kinda figured out a loophole for images in signatures. Kinda.

Don't open the can of worms.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

22 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Hehe, too late...

@colonel_mortis is my signature alright?

Well played.

Did you come here to bash all of the comments against your opinion? Internet speed aside, I personally wouldn't want to see more clutter and gifs in signatures. The forum would become more of a mess. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

8 hours ago, H0R53 said:

It has the name and manufacturer (me and me) of my PC and some basic specs and bench info. 

Because you can not do that with text and you must have an image for that?

Simple: clutter. Look at my signature. Stuffed up the ass with embeds, mainly from this forum.

My profile is also a great example as to what happens when the size limit of the cover image can be tapped. Well, at least it used to be.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.