Diesel trains are really bad for you, Like Seriously

pbx2
Just now, dalekphalm said:

Insurance rates vary a lot regionally. You live in the US, I live in Canada. Even among Canadians, the rate can vary a lot per province or per city.

How old is your car? How valuable is it? How often is it stolen, etc? These are all contributing factors.

True, but I still feel like I'm paying too much as I've never been in any type of car wreck or anything.

5 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Yeah, diesel trains are bad for you. Everyone knows that steam trains are better for your health and the environment!

9fa4693f442803585c9db6d4be7b75dd.jpg

Infact steam trains are better in some ways, they run Locos at the front so have a chance to dissapate the pollution before it reaches the cars. this is shared by intercity 125 trains too.

I think we should ignore the Union BigBoys though. Since they are silly.

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

5 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Yeah, diesel trains are bad for you. Everyone knows that steam trains are better for your health and the environment!

-image snip-

Steam trains are not inherently bad for you. Coal Powered steam trains are bad. If you can heat the water using an envionmentally friendly method - eg: electric heaters, or a cleaner burning fuel, like natural gas, then it's significantly less harmful to the environment.

4 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

True, but I still feel like I'm paying too much as I've never been in any type of car wreck or anything.

True, but you don't pay for insurance because you have never had an accident. You pay for insurance "just in case" you do.

And certainly, insurance rates could be cheaper, but I don't know what kind of profit margins they make, so I can't really say how cheap an insurance rate should be.

They have to factor in people who default on payments, as well as huge million dollar settlements, etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 hours ago, Donut417 said:

-snip-

Your 1st point: you can't judge a country based on it's minimum wage.  You have to take into account the average wage and the cost of living.  Many European countries have very high minimum wages, but they also have very high cost of living.  A "living wage" will always be a moving target.  The problem in the u.s. isn't so much the minimum wage, but the lack of jobs above minimum wage.  It also doesn't help that there is a skills gap where we have a surplus of people educated in fields that aren't hiring, and a deficit of people educated in fields that are hiring.

Your 2nd point: Actually the majority of our tax dollars go toward safety net programs like Social security and medicare.  Defense spending is a large portion of our budget but it isn't the biggest.

1 hour ago, pbx2 said:

This is because of fuel prices, They probably had a good service at the start but nobody was using it, So they had to cut back.

Not really, 

we've always been rather reliant on personal transportation outside of the cities.  It's rather cultural in addition to we've general spread out instead of building up like smaller countries do. 

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Just saying, that's really not very expensive insurance, compared to many places. For example, I currently pay around $1700 a year for my insurance. Granted, that's a bit high (I got dinged for doing a rolling stop at a Stop Sign 2 and a half years ago), but still, even without the ticket, I'd likely be paying more than $1000 a year.

I pay $46 USD a month on liability insurance.  All states require a minimum amount of insurance.  How much that cost depends on the type of vehicle being insured and the driving record of the person in addition to their age.  

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

True, but you don't pay for insurance because you have never had an accident. You pay for insurance "just in case" you do.

And certainly, insurance rates could be cheaper, but I don't know what kind of profit margins they make, so I can't really say how cheap an insurance rate should be.

They have to factor in people who default on payments, as well as huge million dollar settlements, etc.

Being with State Farm and seeing other rates from other companies in this area, I'm getting the "cheapest" premium coverage possible for me, but my wallet hurts whenever I make these payments.

I know that it's a just-in-case thing like you said (that's literally what insurance means :P) but jesus I'm paying this huge chunk of my money for only peace of mind so far.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Just saying, that's really not very expensive insurance, compared to many places. For example, I currently pay around $1700 a year for my insurance. Granted, that's a bit high (I got dinged for doing a rolling stop at a Stop Sign 2 and a half years ago), but still, even without the ticket, I'd likely be paying more than $1000 a year.

My car though is a 2006 Ford Focus. Which is over 10 years old at this point. I find that fucking ridiculous. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

Actually the majority of our tax dollars go toward safety net programs like Social security and medicare

Here is what pisses me off. SOCIAL SECURITY and MEDICARE is a special tax. It does not come out of normal tax dollars. Also those fuckers in D.C. have taken money out of the Social Security fund. They also have a cap on how much tax can be taken form each person. If they take away that cap they could keep social security for years. 

Do people not look at their check? Its a separate line item for a reason.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Here is what pisses me off. SOCIAL SECURITY and MEDICARE is a special tax. It does not come out of normal tax dollars. Also those fuckers in D.C. have taken money out of the Social Security fund. They also have a cap on how much tax can be taken form each person. If they take away that cap they could keep social security for years. 

Do people not look at their check? Its a separate line item for a reason.  

They are still taxes though, and just because they are a special tax on top of our regular income taxes doesn't take away from that.  

Also the cap you speak of raises every year with inflation.  Just removing the cap wouldn't save social security, though it would help a little.